Menu

How do you teach punctuation?

walkermamaof4

We are using FLL and WWE 1 and my older kids use MCT. My youngers join in and are learning lots. But none punctuate sentences well. Is there something that teaches this with mastery? We used Evan Moors Daily Punctuation, but it went quickly and didn't have any teacher notes/guide so it was like offering practice with no explanations. Not quite right for us!

We are using FLL and WWE 1 and my older kids use MCT. My youngers join in and are learning lots. But none punctuate sentences well. Is there something that teaches this with mastery? We used Evan Moors Daily Punctuation, but it went quickly and didn't have any teacher notes/guide so it was like offering practice with no explanations. Not quite right for us!

You using MCT Island? While there's not much punctuation in Island, it ramps up quickly in Town and up. I really love the way he covers punctuation as a function of grammar - it makes it so clear and logical. What are they having trouble punctuating, specifically?

Before we even got to MCT, though, I had my kids do Editor in Chief and Punctuation Puzzlers from Critical Thinking Press - the latter title has books on Run-ons and Commas. There's not a lot of teaching in them, though. PP has a couple of pages on a topic with an explanation at the top. It can be fun, because it shows how a sentence can mean different things depending on the way you punctuate it.

I didn't find that MCT taught that much in the way of punctuation in the "town" level. There was a bit, but not the thorough way most grammar programs cover mechanics.

Editor-in-Chief is a good way to practice punctuation & capitalization. A similar program is Evan-Moor Daily Editing Practice.

Basher has a cute book on punctuation and Lynn Truss has some really funny picture books based on her Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

I've also found some free worksheets on the 'net that are useful for practicing capitalization & punctuation. Here's a good site with a bunch.

Something I did as a ps grade 1 teacher was to cluck my tongue for every period while reading their writing and when demonstrating writing.

EG:

Yesterday I went to the pool CLUCK I had a great time CLUCK I learned to dive CLUCK

That helps them hear where the period goes and really helps them a lot.

We use Cozy Punctuation.

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/punctuation.htm

Basically, you watch a short video clip then complete a worksheet.

Before I have the kids do the written work, I have them watch all of the dvd (over the course of a month or so).

Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGb1Stv8aA&feature=related.

We love her materials, we also use Cozy Grammar. She's awesome, and the dvds can be easily reviewed.

My 11yo isn't quite ready to move on to the next level of grammar, so I have her reviewing with Editor in Chief. That has a little punctuation too.