Menu

Classical Music Curriculum

OregonNative

I'm looking for a good study as an extra for my 1st and 3rd grader. I've looked at Homeschool in the Woods and Beautiful feet, but they are both for 3rd and up. Both of these companies have a lapbook like program, which would be great for my kids. Any suggestions?

Edited by OregonNative

I've only used BF. It is a good program. If you take it slow, you can stretch it out quite a bit. Some of the material might be too much for a 1st grader. I'm thinking about the text, THe Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers. You might want to highlight that rather than read it in its entirety. But, the other books should be fine. One of my dc loved the audio cds. The other found them boring. I think that is because she was expecting something like Beethoven Lives Upstairs. The BF audio cds are the composers music and a narration about his life. The Story of the Orchestra is excellent. So is the book about the ballet.

Classical Kids CDs.

Just listen.

Full CDs/works from the libraries from your kids' favorite composers. Yes, they will have them once they have heard the CK CDs a few times!!

Just listen.

Mike Venezia biographies if you want more.

IMHO, listening to great musicians play great music is the most important way to use your time in this arena.

If you can attend a live performance of a good orchestra/symphony -- esp. one that has a 'kids hour' where the conductor talks to the kids for a spell afterwards. . . would be awesome.