Menu

Fellow country dwellers...

I walked out of the house this morning and smelled skunk. Unusual for our place since we have a dog who seems to keep a lot of things away.

All day I did not think about the skunk but smelled it again in the evening.

I have always thought these critters move on. Tell me what you know about the habits of skunks. Is it possible he will set up house nearby despite of the dog? If so, how I can I get rid of him?

I'd like to be able to hang out my laundry again...

Yuck :ack2: I have no real advice to offer, but am a little happier that all I am dealing with at the moment is a raccoon that is stealing my cats' food, and tormenting my dogs through the patio doors (of course, in the middle of the night). There is a shotgun shell with his number on it - it is just a matter of time. Maybe you could trap it??

Krista

Yuck :ack2: I have no real advice to offer, but am a little happier that all I am dealing with at the moment is a raccoon that is stealing my cats' food, and tormenting my dogs through the patio doors (of course, in the middle of the night). There is a shotgun shell with his number on it - it is just a matter of time. Maybe you could trap it??

Krista

We don't have a trap with solid walls and I really don't want to trap it in a wire cage. :001_unsure: I was hoping someone has some natural skunk repellent recipe.

We had skunk problems last year--one moved into the crawlspace UNDER our house. :ack2: Our landlord set a trap and took care of that one. We had a couple of more stop by, so I was looking online and found this skunk repellent made from fox urine. Our visitors moved on and we didn't end up getting it, so I can't vouch for it personally. But it sounds good, and it's safe for pets.

Good luck!

We did have skunk problems, but since we acquired our vicious, chicken/mole/rabbit/bird-killing Lhasa Apso, we really haven't smelled them. Now, we had an 80lb Lab running around here, but for some reason the Lhasa seems to have scared them away. We also have a racoon problem, but the Lhasa keeps getting into fights with them and winning. The Lab is too scared to do anything about it. I don't understand dogs.

I would so love find a skunk baby to raise. We raised 2 raccoons and they were adorable. But skunks are a little less rowdy. Good luck with your skunks. :)

Awww.... baby skunks are adorable. Dd worked at a wildlife rescue center, and they were the favorite. Nobody liked the raccoons because they are so messy!

Skunks tend to move on, but keep your chickens locked up well at night. We've had skunks kill and eat our ducks and chickens. Mostly skunks just dig round holes in my garden beds looking for worms.

I accidentally trapped a skunk in a Havahart trap. I was trying to nab a groundhog. The wildlife center staff said to just throw an old blanket over the trap because skunks won't spray in an enclosed space. We carried the trap out of the garden and carefully opened the door. The skunk found its way out and never came back.

GardenMom

We had a skunk living under one of our outbuildings this year. Dh baited a live trap with cat food and caught it easily. Then, of course, he had to shoot it. We had seen it out during the daytime, so we were worried about rabies.

If it's living under a building, it's not going to move on. I'm guessing they are looking for winter homes right now????