Menu

What do you put in your layered taco-style dip?

I need to make one and I usually just throw whatever I have in a glass pan. But my frig is severely lacking in taco-ish edibles. I thought I'd get the Hive's recipes...

UPDATE:

I took some ideas from everyone.

I layered refritos, then the sour cream-cream cheese-taco seasoning mixture (never did that before!), salsa, chopped green peppers & onions, shredded cheese and olives sprinkled on top. I bought the scoops, too.

Here's the problem: DH was packing the car and checked the taco dip off the list without putting it in the car. So we got to our function and everyone was hungry and I said, "Let's get the taco dip out. It's ready to go." DH: "What taco dip?"

Uh....the one you bleeping checked off the bleeping list!!!!

So I am eating it now at home. By myself. Because I am the only one who likes it here. A 13x9 tupperware container filled with it.

Edited by unsinkable

All or some of the following:

* refried beans, or if I don't have those, black beans or pinto beans, maybe with some cumin mixed in

* salsa or chopped tomatoes [canned might work too, if drained]

* guacamole or sliced/chopped avocada

* corn

* tortilla chips, crumbled [flavored are ok, like doritos], or fritos

* shredded cheese, or nacho cheese dip

* browned ground beef or turkey, or shredded cooked chicken, mixed with taco seasoning or cumin

* sour cream or plain yogurt

* chopped lettuce if it's to be served cold

* chopped onion or scallions

* peppers, fresh of any color, and/or canned green chilis

* sliced black olives

Got any of that? :D Good luck!

Here's mine:

The base is 1 softened 8oz block of cream cheese, 8 oz sour cream and 1 packet of taco seasoning. Mix that all up with a hand held blender and smear it into a jelly roll type pan. Top that with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, diced green and/or red peppers, diced red onions or sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, chopped olives, and a tiny dusting of cayenne. Sometimes I'll toss in some pinto or black beans, sometimes not, because it rocks just like that.

Hmmm. I think I need to make some of this today. Like, right now.

No meat, beans or taco seasoning in mine.

16 oz. (two blocks) softened cream cheese, mixed with 1/2-ish jar of salsa.

Spread it in a pie plate. Top with chopped green pepper, black olives, tomatoes, green onions, and shredded jack cheese. Serve with those "scoop" corn chips--- Tostitos, maybe?

astrid

Mmmmmmm...I know what we are having for lunch tomorrow! I might try adding cream cheese--sounds really good. I make mine with refried beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, and sliced olives. My favorite tortilla chips are either homemade, using corn tortillas, or Juanitas brand.

For a 9x13 pan I use 1 1/2 cans refried beans, mixed with taco seasoning, and if you like it spicy like me, a small can of chopped jalapenos. On top of that a layer of sour cream, I then put chopped fresh toms, sliced gr. onion, and chopped cilantro distributed evenly over the pan. Next is the shredded cheese, then topped with sliced olives. Open a big bag of tortilla chips and you have a delicious meal, oh, uh, I mean snack.:001_smile:

I took parts from other recipes that I liked and put this together. It's yummy :)

Brown a pound of ground beef with diced onion (or onion powder); drain. Add a packet of taco seasoning (or season to taste if you don't have taco seasoning), a small can of green chilies and a small can of enchilada sauce.

While this is simmering, mix a block of cream cheese, 8 oz tub of sour cream, ground red pepper, paprika, and onion powder. Add more or less, depending on how spicy you want it.

Spread the beef mixture in a casserole dish. Put cream cheese mixture on top of that. Top with shredded cheese (I like the monterey jack mixture) and olives if you like. Bake at 375 until cheese is melted.

You can also just use a layer of refried beans on the bottom if you don't want to use meat. It's pretty good that way, too.

UPDATE:

I took some ideas from everyone.

I layered refritos, then the sour cream-cream cheese-taco seasoning mixture (never did that before!), salsa, chopped green peppers & onions, shredded cheese and olives sprinkled on top. I bought the scoops, too.

Here's the problem: DH was packing the car and checked the taco dip off the list without putting it in the car. So we got to our function and everyone was hungry and I said, "Let's get the taco dip out. It's ready to go." DH: "What taco dip?"

Uh....the one you bleeping checked off the bleeping list!!!!

So I am eating it now at home. By myself. Because I am the only one who likes it here. A 13x9 tupperware container filled with it.

I made a large pan of it for lunch today, only to discover that none of my kids like bean dip. Weirdos. Not sure how dh and I are going to eat the whole thing by ourselves, especially since he had an unpleasant--to everyone around him--gastric reaction that left us all dazed and in a "fog" (literally).

Anyway, 13x9 is pretty big, but you shouldn't waste perfectly delicious bean dip, so just keep eating. You'll finish eventually!

I made a large pan of it for lunch today, only to discover that none of my kids like bean dip. Weirdos. Not sure how dh and I are going to eat the whole thing by ourselves, especially since he had an unpleasant--to everyone around him--gastric reaction that left us all dazed and in a "fog" (literally).

Anyway, 13x9 is pretty big, but you shouldn't waste perfectly delicious bean dip, so just keep eating. You'll finish eventually!

:lol:

MY dh won't eat the beans or the sour cream or the cream cheese.

My older 2 will scoop a bit of the shredded cheese and salsa off the top and my youngest will willingly try the whole thing but I'm not sure how much he can help me eat. :lol:

Thanks! I am going to try to do this with a bit of it to see what happens. I am not sure the dairy will hold up well but it's worth a shot!

Ick! It will separate and get completely watery and disgusting. Don't do it. Just eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner for about 2 days and it should be gone. :D