Menu

Lesson Planning with MS OneNote

PenKase

I've been fiddling with this very handy tool already part of my MS Office package (and didn't even know it). It is unbelievable the things you can do on this thing!!!

I was wondering if anyone here in the hive has/is currently using MS OneNote for their homeschool planning needs?

I use it to keep book lists by year, scope and sequence of the various curriculum we use, and a map of the k-12 years. For example, the plan for our math program, our history sequence, science sequence, etc.

I also use it to keep movie lists listed by history topic or science topic. Hmm I use it for a LOT of things. I have a lot of reporting stuff I have to keep track of so I use it for that too.

For regular planning I use HST+ but I like One Note for quick pasting of info I see in threads here or what not.

I've been fiddling with this very handy tool already part of my MS Office package (and didn't even know it). It is unbelievable the things you can do on this thing!!!

I was wondering if anyone here in the hive has/is currently using MS OneNote for their homeschool planning needs?

The first thing I did was make a notebook of homeschooling plans! :D

The one thing I'm wishing for is a better calendar function. I might have missed it.... because it seems obvious, but I really want to stick a page in that's just a calendar to keep all the dates together. I made a table to be a calendar, and I tag all the dates I enter with a calendar tag so I can find them, but it would be really excellent to have that done at least semi-automatically! (At the very least not having to make the calendar by hand...) The best I can find so far is downloadable templates, and of course none of them perfect. :tongue_smilie:

So I'm still using Homeschool Tracker -- it's got a great calendar! But as MiztrezzLyn says, OneNote is great for keeping all the bits and pieces.

I love this program!

I mostly use it for gathering ideas. I have a Homeschooling notebook with a page for each subject, and then when I see something that I know I will want to look into later I just copy it in. My fave thing is that you can copy pictures so easily.

I am also using it right now to plan preschool for my son. I am going to be doing a letter of the alphabet each week, and so I have a page for each letter to organize my ideas and the great ideas I see on other people's blogs, etc.

I'm in the planning stage still and using OneNote to keep methodologies, subjects, and lesson plans in one place. It's just soooooooo much easier that keeping everything in Word.

Right now in one Notebook, I have CM and WTM hs methods cut and pasted into different tabs where I can compare and contrast and see what method works best for each child . Another Notebook has my dd's lessons plans tabbed by month so I can input their assignments into pre-made tables as they are completed. Yet another, houses dc's weekly to do's checklist & schedules. Just today, I started cutting and pasting information for their specific subejcts, ie. history related websites for dd to read on the computer.

I'm pretty sure I can do many more things, but I did just found this gem this week and love, love it!!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Here is another useful One Note thread, although I have to say I can't figure it out. I might have to try Max Brain Power time mid-morning tomorrow. :lol:

Ok, I played around in One Note last night and I see how it would be easier to have everything in one place, but it still seems easier to just use Word & Excel for making lesson plan sheets. Am I missing something? I read somewhere on another thread about making a lesson plan template, how do you do that? Is it possible to make grid schedules for the quarter and then move them into a weekly template to print out? Just curious what One Note can actually do, thanks for any help you can give :).

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Ok, I played around in One Note last night and I see how it would be easier to have everything in one place, but it still seems easier to just use Word & Excel for making lesson plan sheets. Am I missing something? I read somewhere on another thread about making a lesson plan template, how do you do that? Is it possible to make grid schedules for the quarter and then move them into a weekly template to print out? Just curious what One Note can actually do, thanks for any help you can give :).

:bigear: because I keep looking at it thinking it's still easier to use real paper, a highlighter, some paperclips. Add a few coffee rings and you have the idea. :lol:

Someone mentioned a tutorial. I looked at the VHG site and couldn't find it though.