Menu

Frustrated and venting

I spent the morning at park day for a new homeschooling group we're trying. It's supposed to be secular and accepting of diversity. What it seems to be focused on (at the 3 park days I've been to) is complaining about the homeschooling community in this area and bashing other homeschool groups because they are not secular and focused on diversity even though they never claimed to be.

Apparently, this group is open to other ideas and beliefs as long as they are the same as their own. But should another group dare to have different beliefs about what a homeschool group should be, then they are wrong, wrong, wrong!

It's frustrating because the kids do so well but I really don't enjoy the mom time. How horrible would it be to take a book and sit away from the other moms?

I spent the morning at park day for a new homeschooling group we're trying. It's supposed to be secular and accepting of diversity. What it seems to be focused on (at the 3 park days I've been to) is complaining about the homeschooling community in this area and bashing other homeschool groups because they are not secular and focused on diversity even though they never claimed to be.

Apparently, this group is open to other ideas and beliefs as long as they are the same as their own. But should another group dare to have different beliefs about what a homeschool group should be, then they are wrong, wrong, wrong!

It's frustrating because the kids do so well but I really don't enjoy the mom time. How horrible would it be to take a book and sit away from the other moms?

Not horrible to sit and read, but I'd keep a look out for another group.

You just described my exact experience with the local 'inclusive' group. I often wondered if we could talk about anything else besides how awful the other homeschoolers were. :confused: Then a few years in, a woman beside me yelled, "I hate all those Christians," and I knew it was time for use to go. :001_huh:

Edited by angela in ohio

I've often thought that what I need is a non-sectarian group. Too often the secular groups seem to be using 'secular' as a code for 'atheist,' which I am not, but the remainder of the groups use 'Christian' as a code for Christians of particular denominations with particular political beliefs (?!?), which again... I am not. It would be delightful to find a group that is truly inclusive.

Is see that you are in Texas and I am hoping that you are not talking about the secular/inclusive group that we have in The Woodlands/Spring area. I have been with this group for over a year and I haven't heard any conversations about the other groups. Our group is very diverse and some are even members of the other groups.

If it is another group and you are in our area, please check us out.

I am sorry that you are having that kind of experience, that is one of the things that I like about our group. All the ladies are very helpful and we try to make new members welcome.

I've often thought that what I need is a non-sectarian group. Too often the secular groups seem to be using 'secular' as a code for 'atheist,' which I am not, but the remainder of the groups use 'Christian' as a code for Christians of particular denominations with particular political beliefs (?!?), which again... I am not. It would be delightful to find a group that is truly inclusive.

Word.