Menu

halloween dilema

Put Zack in one of Lily's leotards and tights. Stuff appropriate muscle areas with toilet paper. Put his underwear over this ensemble and instant Captain Underpants.

Is Lily willing to go gypsy instead of fairy? Put her in one of your skirts with a bandana over her head and let her wear your big hoops.

Here are instructions for a dino costume. I'm not sure how budget friendly it is. Do a google search if this one does not work.

Check local Goodwill for either costumes or the bits and pieces to make something - cheap over-sized t-shirts and/or sweatshirts plus markers and/or felt and glue can do wonders for a costume!

Dinosaur - green face paint, oversized green sweatshirt with felt spots, felt "claws" on cheap gloves, slightly stuffed (newspaper?) trashbag attached to butt of sweatpants for tail....

Edited by JFSinIL

For the fairy costume, you could cut wings out of cardboard and let her decorate them with paint and/or glitter and glue, and then let her wear a pretty dress or something that she already owns. Maybe you could make her a crown of flowers, even cheap fake flowers.

For a super hero I would think all you mainly need is a cape, maybe an eye mask, maybe you can do some face paints for him, like a lightning bolt on his face or some such? I would check even a dollar store for things like this!

Not sure on a dinosaur, I'm not really that crafty either!

Try your local costume shop for angel/fairy wings. I bought some at ours last year for about $10 a pair. The rest of the fairy costume can be a t-shirt or leotard with fabric glitter glue added, and a makeshift tutu made from cheap netting held in place with a length of fabric folded into a belt. Or you can weave a length of yarn or cord through the top of the netting and pull it tight to gather it and tie it on, with a fabric belt over top to give more stability. Add fun by hand sewing a few cheap jingle bells to her shoes, the belt ends, a wand (dowel rod with one of the puffy party bows added to the end).

Dinosaurs might be a bit harder, but not impossible. I would encourage a pterodactyl! Get a large sweatshirt and pair of cheap brown or yellow tights from the thrift store. Use a fabric marker to draw scales on the shirt and thigh portion of the tights. Take a yard or so of felt fabric and split it on the diagonal to make two large triangles and hand stitch them to the side seams of the shirt to make wings. Cut the side edges into scallops if you want for a more sinister, bat-like look. After your dc is in the costume, you can quickly whip stitch the lower part of the wing down the leg seams, or even staple it if you are short on time! Cut a piece of yellow posterboard into a wide dive flipper type shape with a cut out circle to fit around the ankle. Use yellow duct tape to secure on top of the shoes and use markers to draw creepy toes or claws.

I agree about the super hero, leotards and colored undies on the outside. You can also use a length of fabric to make a cumberbun type of belt and add a cheap metalic decoration in the front for bling. Don't forget colorful shoes. Buy some colored thrift store socks that will fit over regular shoes (cut some small holes on the bottom to keep some tread to prevent slipping), you can add yarn "ties" if that helps the look. Don't forget a cape, but remember to make it a quick release to avoid choking hazard should it get caught on something. And a batman type black mask can be found cheaply in most stores now. You can decorate that with a special initial or symbol with glue and glitter. Also check out cheapie big watches at the thrift store or dollar store. Those can be his special crime detecting or communications devices.

HTH, good luck.

Edited by hillfarm

If you have couple wire hangers you can bend them into the shape of wings and then pull white pantyhose over them. Secure with a long ribbon that can be tied around her waist. Then paint/ decorate the wings howeveryou like.

I match this with a crown of dollar store flowers and curling ribbon.

For the dino, I would see if you can find an older large dino stuffed animal. Then get him a sweatsuit of matching color. Cut of the head and sew it to the hood of sweatshirt. Cut off the tail and sew it to the back bottom edge of sweatshirt...instant dino!

One of our favorite ideas was a movie theater floor. A bucket of popcorn for a hat..pop some of that popcorn and glue all over the shirt along with straws, soda cup tops, silly string, a box or two of candy spread out and glued, along with the box onto a dark tshirt or sweat shirt top.

a box spray painted white, with a bit of shadowing on edges, and large polka dots = dice

Check out costume rental. We have a place that will rent fancy southern belle type dresses for like $15 so I imagine less complicated costumes would be even less. You don't get to keep the costumes, but hey, it might keep you under budget.

um... well my kids are begging me to dress up as well, any good HM costume ideas. Nothing embarrising plz:blush:

p.s. i have horrid spelling dont tell kids:laugh:

I think you should be the gypsy!!!! Great big hoop earrings, lots of scarves and flowy skirts!!!

And to this I might add a cape made from a towel, or old sheet portion....

Long beads of various kinds to fill out the gypsy (do you own a tambourine?), along with some of your makeup and nail polish....

You can make a rain poncho out of a garbage bag by cutting out small head and arm holes. This can be stuffed and then belted low down or otherwise tied off to create a stuffed appearance for a dinosaur. Colored spots of construction paper, etc. could be glued onto the outside of the bag if you want color. Long t-shirt and sweat pants underneath in matching or different colors could fill out the arms and legs. More colored spots of felt could be tacked onto these if more color is wanted. A dino head "hat" can be created from colored-felts....

I've also used same color sweat pants and tops in past and tacked felt onto them for details. One year, I bought an extra pair of sweat pants and cut one leg off and stuffed it, sewing it shut, to make a long tail. We sewed this onto the back of the costume. We bought a plain, white face mask and created details out of felt to make the mask we wanted....

Here's one dino costume that includes a no sew option which sounds easy:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/dinosaurtrain/costume/#nosew

Do you have to make it? Wal-mart has $10-12 costumes. Target even has some $7 costumes! I know one of the $7 costumes is a fairy. You could get all four, from either place, with your $50 budget. Also, I heard the dollar store (Dollar Tree?) has some Halloween stuff (fairy wings, wands, clown ties, etc.).

Edited by Jinnah

You can get tutus and wings for your fairy at the dollar stores usually. They don't last very long after Halloween, because they are cheap dollar store items, but they hold up for the night. You can also make your own wings from a wire coat hanger, colored tights and glue. There are lots of instructions on this on the net.

Our dollar store also carries many Halloween costumes of other kinds super cheap. I got my daughter a princess dress last year for only $5.

They year before that I picked up a princess dress costume at Khol's, 3 weeks before Halloween for only $7. So you never know where you could find a good deal on a costume.