Menu

What grade level was the Prentice Hall Science Explorer written for?

I'm thinking they are at a middle school level. We are currently doing Bacteria to Plants with DS (grade 5). He's doing well with it, but we're not going that deep either. Building Blocks of Matter--or whatever that one was--was more difficult for him last year. He is very science oriented though, so I'm not entirely sure what's "normal."

The series is for 6th-8th graders. Generally the earth science books are easiest and the physical science books are hardest.

:iagree:

Thank you. No wonder dd8 had such a hard time.:crying:

We tried Human Biology and Health in 5th grade, and it became apparent fairly quickly that it was over ds's head. We tried again with Astronomy in 6th and it went well. We used several SE books throughout 6th-8th successfully.

• 1 month later...
For Sue, or others who have used science explorer...

Did you use the workbook? If so, was it helpful?

This would be for Ds 11 (6th)

Yes, we did and I thought it was worth the pennies it cost. It helped to reinforce the readings. I have a sample. If you send me an email (not a PM), I will reply with the sample.

I wrote about how we used Science Explorer in this thread.

For Sue, or others who have used science explorer...

Did you use the workbook? If so, was it helpful?

This would be for Ds 11 (6th)

I used it with my older son and am not using it with the younger one. There is something called the Student Express CD, which cost very little, that I would recommend over the workbook. It has all of the worksheets contained in the workbook as well as additional material, like enrichment activities and sheets that support the labs.