Menu

Looking for some fun fall-related activities

Owls!

You can buy owl pellets for very cheap at places like Acorn Naturalist. You could read a book, color (there's tons of free printables online). You could make owls using just about any craft materials, you could even make owl cupcakes.

http://www.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=owl+cupcakes&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=8P6sTMOPOsH6lwfMu8HuCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=1229&bih=1086

Okay, I'm adding owl cupcakes to our owl unit this week! So cute!!

Hahah, owl pellets. I did that with this group and most of them (not my kids nor the other homeschoolers!) basically hated it!!! Guess a virtual owl pellet dissection would have worked better!

Love the idea of apples. But there will be a lot of kids and little space. Cored out apples filled with sugar sounds yummy. What are those called?

Pumpkin bowling (lots of fun because the pumpkins don't always roll straight.) Have extra pumpkins to replace those that break.

Pumpkin decorating (use acrylic paint if you don't want to have knives involved) Get more involved and have the kids make pumpkins into a historical person or a favorite character from a book. Allow fabric, etc. to be used. This is lots of fun.

Love the idea of apples. But there will be a lot of kids and little space. Cored out apples filled with sugar sounds yummy. What are those called?

I don't know what they are called. I remember following a recipe on the GrapeNuts box when I was a kid. When I googled it, these recipes came up: http://books.google.com/books?id=7-ThAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=cored+apples+with+grapenuts&source=bl&ots=DJXziQTblf&sig=o8oeKZqINNILzYl4uSwwn_Z27gI&hl=en&ei=EJCuTNeXMJDmsQOTq53jDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pumpkin bowling (lots of fun because the pumpkins don't always roll straight.) Have extra pumpkins to replace those that break.

Pumpkin decorating (use acrylic paint if you don't want to have knives involved) Get more involved and have the kids make pumpkins into a historical person or a favorite character from a book. Allow fabric, etc. to be used. This is lots of fun.

We actually went to the Fair yesterday and when I saw the decorated pumpkins, then I just *knew* this was meant to be..... So, that's what they'll do along with yummy cupcake decorating.

I'll save the suggestions for next time.

Thanks!

"What Can You Do With A Pumpkin" - Each kid gets a pumpkin. You can do this on the spot or you can do it in advance and then just have them bring it in to show off. They have to use their imaginations to do anything they want with that pumpkin (either turning it into something else or decorating it or whatever).

You could do pumpkin carvings or decoratings and then toast the seeds.

If a "field trip" is an option, an apple orchard to go apple picking would be fun (or you could get apples in advance and then you guys can make candy or caramel apples).

Enchanted Learning has some cute ideas for younger kids:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/fall/