Menu

'Unschooling' music? Anyone tried this?

Piano lessons are very expensive around here (approx $1 per minute). I don't want to pay $240 each month for lessons. So, we quit lessons and I've been teaching my kids for about 3 years.

I assure you, they have not received an excellent musical education from me. ;) I can play, but not well. But, they've learned enough that they can play a bunch of songs they like. They can sight read if they really want to. And they both really enjoy playing. They usually like to practice. We've gotten up to the level 3 books of the Alfred's Piano Library.

I believe that part of the reason they like piano so much now is the lack of pressure. When I was paying all that money for lessons, I was pushing them much harder. I wanted my money's worth, darn it. And that ugly attitude of mine tainted their playing time.

Now, I just go on to the next song, teach the skills related to it, and they practice it until they know it and can kinda explain the related skill. If they really don't like the song we don't spend much time on it. Some days, I just let them go back through their books and play their favorites. Some days, they sit and sort of compose a song that has been in their heads.

Has anyone else just sort of plodded along like this? How did that turn out for you and your child? Any regrets? Suggestions? I don't know any other non-music-teacher who has taught their own child to play an instrument.

I've taught both kids to play the recorder (learning theory along the way) using the Windsong books.

I'm teaching myself piano and teaching dd8 the piano using the Alfred books.

Ds13 who has graduated from the recorder books is now teaching himself classical guitar using a book/cd set by Hal Leonard.

I am musical (I was a vocal major at one point) but I taught myself recorder and am still teaching myself piano. I do not play the guitar but dh does so he can give pointers when needed (though in the 3 weeks we've been doing it, he's only given pointers once.)

I never took piano lessons but taught myself to play as a child. I would spend hours playing and am an average player. We inherited the piano and had no money for lessons, so they weren't even an option.

I had no aspirations of playing professionally or furthering it past a hobby so it worked out. I think it would depend upon your childrens' goals in regard to music. If they want to play past the hobby stage I'd try to find an outlet for those opportunities. If they're content to continue as they are, I'd let them.

I'm working on teaching ds, but we need a better keyboard. I'm also attempting to learn guitar and trumpet and plan to have ds learn with me.

Sounds like you are doing great. You've probably thought of this already, but around here there are various alternatives to private lessons -- group lessons, parks and rec or nonprofit group lessons, etc. There are also camps and holiday classes. I talked to the woman who runs the place where my kids take lessons, and she said more people were discontinuing year long lessons, and either just doing the occasional camp or class, or they were just taking lessons for one semester a year. Obviously not great for her business, but she is trying to meet people where they are.

I know this doesn't pertain to you (I think you are in Seattle?) but wondered if there were similar options near you.

It does sound like you all are having more fun now, so that is great!

Sounds great to me! Our (paid) piano teacher actually teaches her students this way. She lets the students pick their songs to learn, and doesn't linger on ones they really don't like. She's very relaxed, and I have to say her students learn SO much with her. More importantly, they have developed a true love for music.

Sounds great to me! Our (paid) piano teacher actually teaches her students this way. She lets the students pick their songs to learn, and doesn't linger on ones they really don't like. She's very relaxed, and I have to say her students learn SO much with her. More importantly, they have developed a true love for music.

This is nice to hear! Our main goals are for them to enjoy music and know enough theory to play an instrument if they want to. (Since we own a piano, it's a piano for now.) So far, they do like it, and they can play, so I guess we're on track.

They've also had the chance to work with the 'sound guy' at church and 'do sound' for our worship service. Our older son also loves mixing music on Garage Band (computer software) with our electronic keyboard. And they loooove looking for new kinds of music on iTunes. I love to see what they find -- last week they discovered Celtic music and it's the current trend in our house.

I do wonder if there is some sort of open-and-go theory program out there. I'd like them to be a bit more solid with their theory. Anyone know of anything like that?

I believe that part of the reason they like piano so much now is the lack of pressure. When I was paying all that money for lessons, I was pushing them much harder. I wanted my money's worth, darn it. And that ugly attitude of mine tainted their playing time.

Now, I just go on to the next song, teach the skills related to it, and they practice it until they know it and can kinda explain the related skill. If they really don't like the song we don't spend much time on it. Some days, I just let them go back through their books and play their favorites. Some days, they sit and sort of compose a song that has been in their heads.

Has anyone else just sort of plodded along like this? How did that turn out for you and your child? Any regrets? Suggestions? I don't know any other non-music-teacher who has taught their own child to play an instrument.

My dd has been doing this (and I've been paying for it!) for about 7 years. She's 14 now and has gotten to the point where she really wants to do more complicated pieces but she hasn't developed the skills to do so. It's frustrating her. She has good friends who are fantastic musicians and she'd like to be able to play chamber music with them, but she's got a ways to go still. We switched teachers this year (our teacher moved away) and now her new teacher is pushing her harder. She's practicing longer and enjoying piano more - I think because she does have a challenge and because she knows she's going to get somewhere this year.

It was really embarressing for her to play in our local music festival two years ago as she was head and shoulders above all of the other kids in her level.

So, yes, she's always been self-motivated when it comes to piano. I have never bugged her to practice and she's always plodded along because she enjoys playing and loved her teacher. However, now she's at a point where she wishes she had put in some more serious effort along the way because she'd like to be much further along after this many years playing.