Menu

How do you make homemade sloppy joe?

This isn't my own recipe, I got it off FoodNetwork.com, I don't buy it from a can anymore.

1lb. ground beef

1 medium onion

1 tablespoon mustard

1 tablespoon worcestershire

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon vinegar

3/4 cup ketchup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup green pepper

1/2 cup celery

Directions

Brown meat in large heavy skillet over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes, breaking up clumps. Add onion, mustard, worcestershire, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, salt, green pepper and celery. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring now and then, about 40 minutes until flavors mingle. Place 1/2 hamburger bun on each of four plates and ladle meat sauce generously on top. Serve at once.

1/2 green pepper chopped

1/2 med onion, chopped

1 pound ground beef

ketchup

1 can tomato soup

Brown ground beef, green pepper, onion. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add ketchup until mixture is lightly red (more ketchup than you think). Add tomato soup. Simmer.

I've made this 2 or 3 times. It really does take a LOT of ketchup. If you have 1/2 a big bottle, you might have enough. When I make this is when I buy a new bottle of ketchup at the beginning of the week.

This comes from one of my favorite "home cooking" sites. stephskitchen.com. Oddly, I've been going there since the late 90s and I don't think it's been updated in about 7 years or so. lol I'm just glad she still keeps it there.

SLOPPY JOES

This homemade version beats the out-of-a-can type any day! And, it is so simple. Really requires little effort with rewarding results. I have modified this recipe from a much larger batch...was doubled...which makes this a perfect main dish to serve for a crowd. This size still makes more than enough for our family, but it makes great leftovers! A must try.

2 pounds extra lean ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper

1 can (10-3/4 ounces) 99% fat free low sodium condensed tomato soup

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

3 tbsp. packed brown sugar

3 tbsp. Splenda*

2 tbsp. ketchup

1-1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. mustard

1/4 tsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. garlic salt

10-15 whole wheat hamburger buns

1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef and onion; add green pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes; drain. Add the next 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 10-15 servings.

*Useful Tip: If you choose to not use the Splenda, use another 3 tbsp. brown sugar.

Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness

This comes from one of my favorite "home cooking" sites. stephskitchen.com. Oddly, I've been going there since the late 90s and I don't think it's been updated in about 7 years or so. lol I'm just glad she still keeps it there.

SLOPPY JOES

Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness

My boys and I made this tonight and it was yummy!

This isn't my own recipe, I got it off FoodNetwork.com, I don't buy it from a can anymore.

1lb. ground beef

1 medium onion

1 tablespoon mustard

1 tablespoon worcestershire

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon vinegar

3/4 cup ketchup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup green pepper

1/2 cup celery

Directions

Brown meat in large heavy skillet over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes, breaking up clumps. Add onion, mustard, worcestershire, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, salt, green pepper and celery. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring now and then, about 40 minutes until flavors mingle. Place 1/2 hamburger bun on each of four plates and ladle meat sauce generously on top. Serve at once.

I made this one tonight because it was the one I had all the ingredients for and it was very good. Two thumbs up! :thumbup:

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans2/1105.shtml

Black Bean Sloppy Joes

Adapted slightly from the McDougal Quick & Easy Cookbook

1 onion, chopped

1 green pepper, diced

1/3 cup water

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed

1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal

1 T soy sauce

1/2 T yellow mustard

1 t vegan sugar or agave nectar

1 t chili powder

Place onion & pepper in saucepan with water. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.

Mash beans with a bean or potato masher (do not use a food processor). Add the beans and remaining ingredients into the saucepan and cook over low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve on buns.