Menu

Tell me about the old movie "The Mission"

I'm having trouble finding any reviews of the content in the movie from the 80's called "The Mission". I watched the trailer on Netflix. Can anyone review it for me? I'd like to know about language, any sensuality, nudity (I'm sure there's native, but is it appropriate), etc.

It looks very interesting to me. Dd loves historical movies so I might want to watch it with her.

Wonderful but disturbing movie. The music is hauntingly beautiful. It had an intensity that was almost too much for me as a college student but which also made it a pivotal film in my life.

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2002/themission.html There is violence in it. The nudity is more of the native National Geographic kind.

I would wait. I have not shown it to my dd(16) or my dd(13). I did show it to ds (18) and he didn't really have enough back information to fully understand it. You need a good understanding of Spanish and Portuguese colonial politics and power struggles to understand why the decisions are made. On top of that, it's a deep movie about repentance and redemption, and if you don't really get it, all you see is the violence.

There is definitely nudity and violence. There are several battle scenes. At the end, all the natives are killed. It's been awhile but I don't remember much sensuality. I vaguely remember a duel over a woman (married to someone besides who she was in bed with) but I don't remember how much of the bedroom scene is shown.

The music is great.

This is probably my favorite movie of all time. What a great way to talk to a child about the power of an individual man's faith and the choices we make in trying to obey God. I wanted my boys to learn on the young side that what the world values, covets, and demands might throw a man into real conflict with what serving God requires.

Early in the moving, Robert De Niro's character kills his own brother, who has slept with De Niro's character's betrothed. I think there is a sexy scene surrounding this plot point. Also, the man is a slave trader, and it's hard to watch the scene regarding this.

After those plot lines are developed (in the first bit of the movie), you are done with the really objectionable scenes until the battle scenes at the end. Well, if you find images of half dressed native objectionable, maybe not. That's pretty much the whole movie. But for me, those scenes were the ones I wanted to shepherd my children through.

I will say that these early scenes are dealt with as sin. De Niro's character recognizes his actions as sinful and wants to pay penance. That also is a good point for discussion - the nature of penance, what God demands of us, etc.

Honestly, it is a lovely, lovely movie. Amazing, beautiful and inspiring, and the sound track is prefect. You could preview it and see what you think and I promise you, you won't mind watching it again with your daughter.

Edited by Danestress

I saw it when I was in college - it was shown in the sanctuary for vespers. :) Tough to watch, even for many adults, I think. But I'm planning on showing it to my older two (as part of a church movie night with discussion and pastoral staff and etc.) in the foreseeable future and they're both under 16. Ennio Morricone wrote the score - "Gabriel's Oboe" has been performed by many, including YoYo Ma. Gorgeous music, really solid themes which are well-treated, IMO. Still, a tough movie.

Truly a great movie.

Nudity--Native tribes are mostly semi-naked. This is not a focus at all, nor is it ugly or sexy. For the adultery between the Robert de Niro's brother and the wife, there some loose clothes slipping down her frame, but this is not prolonged nor is it portrayed as arousing. The viewer sees the two kissing in bed briefly, then after the brother is killed the woman runs out into the street with her dress not zipped, though she is covered.

Violence--Two brothers duel and one dies. At the beginning of the film a slave hunter kills and captures some slaves in the forest--this is brief, but you do see death. At the end of the movie, ALL the natives are killed. It was terribly disturbing, but the battle scenes were not overdone imho. Violence was shown but not glorified in any way. It's a horrifying ending because of the grave injustice.

I intend to show this movie to my own children, but not until they are older. There are profound ideas about redemption, love, sacrifice. I would set this one aside for an older teen.

The music is gorgeous--one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Absolutely haunting.

Truly a great movie.

Nudity--Native tribes are mostly semi-naked. This is not a focus at all, nor is it ugly or sexy. For the adultery between the Robert de Niro's brother and the wife, there some loose clothes slipping down her frame, but this is not prolonged nor is it portrayed as arousing. The viewer sees the two kissing in bed briefly, then after the brother is killed the woman runs out into the street with her dress not zipped, though she is covered.

Violence--Two brothers duel and one dies. At the beginning of the film a slave hunter kills and captures some slaves in the forest--this is brief, but you do see death. At the end of the movie, ALL the natives are killed. It was terribly disturbing, but the battle scenes were not overdone imho. Violence was shown but not glorified in any way. It's a horrifying ending because of the grave injustice.

I intend to show this movie to my own children, but not until they are older. There are profound ideas about redemption, love, sacrifice. I would set this one aside for an older teen.

The music is gorgeous--one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Absolutely haunting.

:iagree:

I saw it for the first time in my Spanish IV class (as a Junior in High School). Spectacular film.