Menu

Blood tests determine ADD/ADHD?

Has anyone heard of this, or used it as part of the diagnosis of their child's ADD/ADHD?

A friend has an 8th grade son struggling in school. To me, it sounds very much like he could have ADD. She said tht his dr did a blood test and told her that his blood levels didn't indicate it. I have never heard of a blood test for ADHD so I am hoping you can give me more direction.

Thanks!

Has anyone heard of this, or used it as part of the diagnosis of their child's ADD/ADHD?

A friend has an 8th grade son struggling in school. To me, it sounds very much like he could have ADD. She said tht his dr did a blood test and told her that his blood levels didn't indicate it. I have never heard of a blood test for ADHD so I am hoping you can give me more direction.

Thanks!

Never heard of it either, and I have a son with ADHD. I hope it's not the case that the doctor wanted to convince the mother with a placebo test.

According to this site there are no blood tests to test for ADHD - http://web4health.info/en/answers/adhd-diagnosis-lab.htm

According to this site ADD and ADHD are symptoms that can be caused by many different factors - blood tests can be used not to diagnose ADD or ADHD itself, but some of the causes of those symptoms. http://www.adhd.com.au/ADHD_Assessment.htm

I don't know what he was trying to convince her of. I asked if he gave her any rating scales or forms for teachers and she said no. Apparently the Dr said that those were unnecessary since the blood test came back clear.

Well, unless I'm drastically mistaken, there is no blood test for ADHD. So if a dr. gave a blood test and said it ruled out ADHD, the intended result would be to convince her that her son does not have ADHD--I can't think of any other reason to give a bogus blood test. Perhaps it's a doctor who doesn't believe in ADHD--believes it's overdiagnosed. Perhaps the blood test was a placebo for the mother. "Oh my son doesn't have ADHD. Perhaps this behavior is just normal boy behavior after all. " That's what it sounds like to me. I hope it's not that.

Well, unless I'm drastically mistaken, there is no blood test for ADHD. So if a dr. gave a blood test and said it ruled out ADHD, the intended result would be to convince her that her son does not have ADHD--I can't think of any other reason to give a bogus blood test. Perhaps it's a doctor who doesn't believe in ADHD--believes it's overdiagnosed. Perhaps the blood test was a placebo for the mother. "Oh my son doesn't have ADHD. Perhaps this behavior is just normal boy behavior after all. " That's what it sounds like to me. I hope it's not that.

There are some quack websites out there talking about tests for ADD, so...either placebo effect or quackery. Either way, run away.

NOPE, no blood test for ADD/ADHD. That said, a good doctor will run a series of blood work BEFORE starting meds to rule out other medical issues that might be at play here and/or ones that would affect the choice of meds. Things like thyroid, liver and kidney function, anemia, blood sugars, lipids, etc. Our pdoc checks these once a year as well.

Thank you! I knew that I had never heard of a blood test for ADD. I even told her that. I am a former ps teacher and try to keep up with advances in this. Goodness, I have to admit that my first thought was, "Well, no one has mentioned it in the most recent disuccions at ETM/" LOL

I passed on the links.

They don't have any insurance right now so she is waiting on going to a neuropsych or someone else for the time being.

Her son is is 8th grade and has really struggled so far this year and last. New school with higher expectations hasn't helped. They are not able to homeschool him right now so that is not an option. There is a concern that he may be mildly dyslexic but they have not assessed for it since he has done well enough until now. Mom is mildly dyslexic. His grades are so low tht he has just shut down - like a 38 avg in one class. She is trying to work with his teachers but they are not even responding to calls or emails (she is a teacher in another building in the same district).

Anyway, ADHD was something that came to mind, especially since he seems to be falling into depression as well. :crying:

I'm not aware of a blood test for dx.

My DD has had a dx since age 4. I am in the process of doing blood testing but it's more to isolate gut issues and food sensitivities.

Could the dr have been using the allergy test to make an ADHD connection?? I know that not all ADHD or people on the specturm will have food issues but I've been reading a lot more regarding the brain/gut connection.

Maybe the Mom can ask the school to evalute?