Menu

LOF & my DS (10)

mjpeter

So after hearing all of the rave reviews of Life of Fred, I bought Fractions and Decimals for my older sons. I was going to substitute LOF one day a week instead of Saxon/MM.

I went to check on him in his room before bed tonight after he had been reading for awhile, and found him reading the decimals book after I had given him the fractions book today. I asked him why he was looking at the wrong one, and he told me he finished the entire book today! I asked him a few questions about it, and he told me the whole story, lol, all about Fred, the bike, and everything else. Now he's a few chapters into the next one.

Needless to say, the books are a big hit at our house. I think I'll have to keep the next few with me so he's not trying to get through calculus at age 12. :lol:

We have a solid rule, you can't read on in the story until you have worked all the problems/bridges. I'm guessing your ds read the book as a story, not as a math book. Even with my rule, ds consumes these books. He wants to continue in the story so much he is willing to do the math.

I love Fred!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We have a solid rule, you can't read on in the story until you have worked all the problems/bridges. I'm guessing your ds read the book as a story, not as a math book. Even with my rule, ds consumes these books. He wants to continue in the story so much he is willing to do the math.

I love Fred!

Us too.

Yes, I bought Fractions and Decimals\Percentages for my two oldest and the oldest read through both of them in about 2 hours. Now, we are going back through and doing one chapter per week. I think it is actually beneficial to read through the book in its entirety before you actually 'do' the book. It creates pegs of information in your brain to hang more information on when you cover it again in more depth.

Wow! Did he do the entire book in a day?! Did he solve all the problems/bridges?

:auto:

No...he just read the story. However, he was able to tell me about the math related to the story and how it was used. We will go back chapter by chapter and do the problems. :001_smile: