Menu

If you do history a la WTM, do you ever study US History?

TKDmom

On this go around, we are studying it in the context of world history. We are using SOTW and when we hit a US history chapter we camp out for a week or two, read some extra books and do some projects. I've also tried to have her read more bios on important figures from US history and I've tied in read-alouds for all our US history chapters. For the next go around (logic stage), I'm not sure what we will do. Hope that helps!

We did SOTW 1-4 the first time around, the boys were 1st-4th grade and k-3rd grade.

BUT we did not enjoy SOTW 4 and after about the 6th chapter ended up dropping about half of it and only doing the ones that were U.S. History or you needed to understand U.S. History (like some of the world war chapters).

This time time around we are using SOTW 1 again (and enjoying it so much more than the first time through ;)). I think we are going to do SOTW 2 next year for 5th and 6th, then I was thinking of focusing on U.S. history for the two years after that when I'll have 1st, 6th, and 7th, then 2nd, 7th, and 8th. Mostly because I don't think SOTW 3 and 4 work well for any of those ages and my boys really do like American History and it seems a nice way to fold my younger one in.

After that I think I'll start over SOTW for the two littles, and I'm not sure what I'll do for the older two....

Like Paige, we stop at the chapters in SOTW that deal with important US events. In volume 3 we spent several weeks on the American Revolution and several more weeks on the Declaration of Independence. Right now we are stopping for a few weeks on the Civil War. We are planning on doing some extra reading, projects, and creating a lap book.

Our plan so far was that we did world history (sotw 1,2,&3) in 2nd and 3rd grade. We're doing US history in 4th and 5th grade we'll repeat world in 6 and 7, US in 8, world in9&10 and Us in 11. I chose that to mirror our ps system in case they opt for PS at some point.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought about doing anything other than the 4-year WTM cycle or the 2-year cycle that SL does for world history...

My problem is I like both the WTM approach to history, and many of the resources that SL uses--especially the ones for US history.

I ought to get my hands on SOTW 3 and 4 and see how they could be used with other US history spines.

With my two oldest boys, when they were in 1st-4th grades, I just worked US history in with SOTW 3&4, adding a few extra books (Story of the USA, Child's Story of America, etc). Because I wanted to wait to start ancient history for my youngest to be in 1st, I took a year to study American history in 6th and 2nd. So we'll be off the 4 year cycle a bit. We'll probably study the 4 year cycle twice instead of 3 times, with some time on World Geography, US history, government and economics, British history, etc in the off years.

Since I didn't starting homeschooling a la WTM until my boys were in 2nd and K5, we just started at the beginning with SOTW 1. By 3rd grade, oldest son said he wanted to learn about American history. I figured we've only got 2 more years until 5th grade with him, when he's "supposed" to start ancient history. So, we're taking a 2-year break from world history and doing U.S. History. I started out using Winter Promise but now do it a la WTM - I use the same methods and daily/weekly schedule laid out in TWTM (even tying in WTM lit.) with the curriculum laid out at guesthollow . com.

Since I got very little American History as a young one (I'm foreign born), this is our plan:

1st- SOTW 1

2nd (currently starting)- SOTW 2

3rd- American History (pulling it all together myself)

4th- SOTW 3

5th- SOTW 4

In 6th we start with Ancients again, but with other resources, and SOTW as reading assignments (and audio). So 6th, 7th, 8th we do from Ancients to Moderns (we spend more time on the periods which ds likes best), and in high school we do the four-year-cycle again, but with extra classes in American Government/Civics, and focus on Presidents.

I think my kids are a little young to start SOTW right now so I'm doing a Geography unit (continents/countries) and then a brief overview of US History before we start SOTW. Then we will do SOTW 1 and 2, take a break to do in-depth US History (possibly using Intellego Unit studies along with whatever I can pull together) before returning to SOTW 3 and 4 or possibly start over again at SOTW 1 since at this point my kids will be around 10/9 and 8/7 years old. We could then do a full 4 year cycle before high school.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought about doing anything other than the 4-year WTM cycle or the 2-year cycle that SL does for world history...

My problem is I like both the WTM approach to history, and many of the resources that SL uses--especially the ones for US history.

I ought to get my hands on SOTW 3 and 4 and see how they could be used with other US history spines.

SOTW 3 lined up with History of the US

SOTW 4 lined up with History of the US

I plan to do something like this!

We study U.S. History in the context of Early/Modern and Modern World History.

I make sure I choose supplemental activities and literature/history readings that reinforce events in U.S. history. There is obviously not enough time to do everything in the SOTW AGs, so I make sure the U.S. history supplements are priority.

Critical Thinking in U.S. History, Encounters in the New World, and Our Living Constitution recommended in the logic stage section of WTM are all excellent and do a good job of reinforcing concepts in U.S. History.