Menu

Memorization System

AllBoys

I have some questions for those of you who are using memorization. In some other threads, I read about systems of index cards or binders used for review.

The only memorization we have done is IEW Poetry and catechism questions. We have had mixed results, most likely due to the lack of a system.

If you could tell me how this looks in your home I would really appreciate it. This sounds like exactly what we need.

Thanks!!

We use this system pretty much exactly as described (we don't use it just for Scripture work though; I include all our memory work). The only change - I didn't feel like writing everything out on index cards so I put it in a binder instead. I just type up each thing to be memorized on it's own page and store them all in the back of the binder.

I only started last spring with ds9,7 and 5. I have an index card box so we don't forget anything. I don't have a system for what we do...I pick what we need to work on most bc once they have it, they can remember it for a month without review. Boy Scout stuff (motto,etc.), preamble to the constitution, a poem, Newton's laws, prepositions, helping verbs, patriotic songs, the mysteries of the rosary, continents and oceans are some of the things we are memorizing. I just add things as I think of things they need to know or I want them to know. We do it during snack time over muffins or biscuits. Last year we did it in the car. Brownie

We use this system pretty much exactly as described (we don't use it just for Scripture work though; I include all our memory work). The only change - I didn't feel like writing everything out on index cards so I put it in a binder instead. I just type up each thing to be memorized on it's own page and store them all in the back of the binder.

:iagree:Pretty much the same thing here but I'm even lazier.. I just keep jotting in there things we're working on down on paper, put it in the binder, older items get recycled to the back for occasional review once nailed down.

My little guy is only 4 so he has own special area of memory work but he's a little stinker, he chimes in the answers for answers that his siblings seem to be stuck on. It's pretty funny. :001_smile: Gosh to have a memory like that again...

We also use the Simply Charlotte Mason system using the index cards. I don't put cards in the Saturday/Sunday slot. For numbers, we do Friday's and Saturday's numbers on Friday and Sunday's and Monday's numbers on Monday. HTH

:iagree: Ditto here. I didn't even make a Saturday/Sunday slot - just the weekdays. We do the same as Deanna for days of the month.

I started with the linked index box, then found myself not following it. But I think that is because we have only learned about 10 memorizations so far. Once we have about 25-30 I can see the system coming in handy.

Basically I use index cards, but we just recite each passage to review it a couple of times a week. Usually in the car. I also have info that I want them to memorize but we haven't started yet, and I keep that in the front of the box. We are learning one poem and one set of facts at the same time. I also find that using a tape recorder is a wonderful way for them to memorize. He learns the bare bones, then he records it, and then he can repeat it with the recording. Usually he can memorize just about anything in a day or two this way.

We use Anki, which is free computer software. There's also a new iPhone/iPod Touch application available for $25, but it's still lacking some important deck management functions, so it's only well-suited for people who already use the desktop software.

The nice thing about Anki is that it automates the use of a spaced repetition system. You don't have to keep track of how often to revisit a particular thing that's been memorized, because the software does it for you. The intervals keep getting longer and longer as you demonstrate mastery over the item, so that eventually you might go years between occasions when you were asked to recall a particular fact.

I use Anki myself, and have found it very effective. My daughter only recently started using Anki, but it's working well for her so far.

This would be best for information that people are memorizing, and more importantly, retaining, on an individual basis rather than as a group. If you're going to do it as a group, I don't think Anki would really be the right solution.

Ours is in a binder- it has dividers for

Today

Then Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4 (we only do a four day week and I have found out that numbering 1-4 works much better than days of the week for our normal schedule, so I continued that here)

Then 1, 2, 3, 4,...30 (we don't even worry about weekend numbers, I figure that stuff is supposed to be really known and if we only get to once every 2 months then it is okay ;))

(we don't even worry about weekend numbers, I figure that stuff is supposed to be really known and if we only get to once every 2 months then it is okay ;))

:iagree: And we only school 3 days a week this year, so I put our "daily" things behind Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (although tabs for Thursday and Friday are available)

I have three children memorizing much of the same content, so I have a "content" folder and an "organization" folder. In the content folder, I have tabs for Bible, Catechism, Poetry, ... with whatever I want them to memorize printed and put in (some of them are in sheet protectors, I un-spiraled my IEW poetry and put the pages in that way). In the "organization" folder, I have tabs a la Simply Charlotte Mason with a chart telling me who is memorizing what (poem #, catechism sequence, hymn, etc.) This has helped us keep up with so many different kinds of memory work.

• 1 month later...

We have been having some success with memory work this year and we are using flashcards that came with some subjects and binder size papers for others. I am considering putting it all in a binder together, maybe using some type of pockets in the daily, odd/even, day of the month dividers, so flashcards and papers are together in one place. Maybe baseball card pages or scrapbook divided pages?

Have you done this? Any ideas/suggestions?

We (either dh or I) record the poem, verse, speech, whatever onto the mp3 player, rename it a nd file it in the computer. Then I transfer those audio files to different mp3 players fro the kids and have them listen through 3x a day. We store our memory work in page protectors in a binder so Mom and Dad can check them.

We have a binder as described by previous posters.

In addition, each kid has a notebook in their car seat. This notebook has everything they have previously memorized and are supposed to be retaining. We spend the first 5 minutes of each car ride in silence, and the kids review whatever they want, then we play "I'll trick you!", where I call out something and they raise hands if they know the answer. (I quiz by asking "something tricky" that I pretend I'm sure they won't know the answer to, then act all shocked that they know it. Huge fun for preschoolers!)

My kids aren't reading much yet, so all the info in the notebooks is a picture and word combo like this:

http://homeschoolcreations.com/files/Cubbies_Jumper_Bear_Hug_1.pdf

sign language picture chart, chart of planets with names color-coded to planet color on the side, number chart, etc.

I also try to find songs for memory work that we play in the car, and they "read" along with the music.

(Most of our review time is in the car.)