Menu

WRTR vs. AAS or contine SWO (spelling questions)

Pata

We are currently using SWO and while I think it easy to use and dd doesn't complain I'm realizing that it's just not sticking. She will get a word wrong on the pretest on Monday, then get it right for the test on Friday, but several weeks later she'll be spelling the word the same way she did on the pretest. So, I'm wondering if we need to make a change. I know that she didn't have the best foundation in phonics because she picked up reading so fast and I didn't really hammer the phonics once she began reading well. So I'm wondering if we need to pick a phonics based spelling program. The only problem is that I already have SWO C, D & E on the bookshelf (someone gave them to me) and I'd hate not to use them.

So I'm wondering if I could just get WRTR and learn their markups and then apply them to SWO or does WRTR have a spelling program laid out in the book? I don't mind doing some prep work to save money as long as I can figure it out. I think that SWR or PR are out of my price range. My other thought was AAS, which I once owned and sold before we left the States because I thought it would to expensive to continue purchasing from overseas for only one child (grrr!). Now we have #2 who could use it on down the line, so I'm wondering if I should give it another look?

If you've been able to follow my rambling, what do you think? I'm a terrible speller (most of us scientist are) and I don't want that for dd, but will another program really help her to spell better or do we just hit the words over and over again until she learns to spell them?

You could do that, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective as actually doing Spalding with your dc. The markings alone are not the Method.

WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method. It is far more comprehensive than AAS, although of course many dc will improve their reading and spelling skills with AAS.

You'll need the manual, a set of phonogram cards, a spelling notebook, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. There are other components, but they are not vital, and you could add them later if you want to. Doing Spalding is pretty economical. :-)

Thanks Ellie, I was kinda thinking that the markings alone would not be enough. Where can I buy all the books you mentioned. I looked on Amazon and I only see WRTR. I looked at Spalding's website and I only see either WRTR or a package for almost $200! Thanks for your help, I've been reading all your old posts and you make it seem so easy :).

I recently purchased SWR for $105, and it includes everything that I need for K-12, except for the learning logs, which I will need to purchase every year, but those are a nominal fee. I compared SWR to AAS, and taken as a whole, SWR was much cheaper. But since AAS comes in different levels, you get to spread out your spending across the years.

I just listened to SWB's writing talks and she spoke about the need for a spelling program (or not after a certain point).

She suggested imposing a consequence of copying the offending word 20 times. This to dissuade a child from being lazy.

Do you have the one on k-4 writing? I think it's on that one.

I'd try that before dropping $125 on a program. I say so only because you stated he/she already knew how to spell it, just didn't do so correctly.

BTW - we have AAS level 1 and it seems like much more work than the method above. I am wondering now if we really needed it.

Still thinking about that one...

If you go with WRTR, don't spend the big $ for the whole Spalding package. The TM's aren't that helpful for homeschoolers (imo). Just get the latest edition and the phonogogram cards, the assessment manual, and then and read all the posts you can find on here about using it. That's really all you need for spelling (maybe buy their student composition books, but really you can use a regular composition book for writing the words). I am using AAS, but have considered WRTR many times (I own it) and still may convert at some point. It is hard to give up the open & go of AAS, however.

ETA, I ordered a TM for 1st grade and sent it back. That's why I said they aren't so useful.

I don't think having my son copying a misspelled word 20 times would have done anything other than caused more frustration for both of us. He certainly wouldn't have learned the spelling (little guy can be pretty resistant!).

We used SWO for first and most of 2nd grade. Nothing was sticking.

After reading a lot on the boards, I made the switch to AAS. It's made a very big difference. When ds asks how to spell a word, I have him segment it and ask what he thinks the spelling is. He's right more than he's wrong now.

YMMV, but I was very pleased with the switch. I think it was especially important for us since we aren't doing phonics and AAS does get him the phonics basics.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that dd would not be deterred by having to write a word 20 times. It may work, but I'm not ready for all the tears it would cause. I really think the root of the problem is that she knows how to segment the sounds in a word, but doesn't know what letters to assign to those sounds. I think this is because we went through phonics too quickly. We did all 6 levels of HOP in a little over a year and a half. I'm just going to have to sit down and figure out which will work the best for the budget I have. Thanks for all your input!

My experience was very much like Dana's. We were using SWO but nothing was sticking.

AAS has made a huge difference in our house and now DS says it is one of his favorite subjects. :D Even better, the lessons are really sticking and he is able to use proper spelling and troubleshooting across all other areas of his work.

I wasn't sure about making the switch at first, but I'm so glad we did now. It really has been one the best curriculum choices I've ever made in our homeschool.

I'll agree with Ellie. Give TWRTR a try. You may need to read it several times, and be persistent in oral and written phonogram reviews. Teach spelling rules as you find them in the spelling list.

You can get all the materials from Spalding Education International. You may need to click on "Store" and then search through each category. You need TWRTR, the phonogram cards, the pronunciation cd (if you are not familiar with the phonograms and their pronunciations--it does make a difference), and the Assessment Manual.

Scroll to the bottom of "Instructional Materials" to find the cards, CD, and Assessment guide.

Although I found the kindergarten teacher's guide to be helpful, you really don't need it. Spalding was taught for well over fifty years without all the extras available today.

Best wishes!

Thanks guys, I think that I'm going to go with WRTR. I like a good challenge and I've got some time to wrap my brain around it. We are returning to the States for a few months and I'm not planning on doing formal school then. I did find a website with the phonogram pronunciations here, just in case anyone else needs it!