Menu

french

I am hsing my youngest three,(this is just our 2nd year) but my 16 yr old is a junior in the local ps. He is not scheduled for a foreign language, and though we've gone round and round about this, we've decided to allow him the 2 hr block class he really wants, with the caveat that he will have to study a foreign language at home with me. I am hoping to have him do a year with me, and then go into the 2nd year course at school next year.

Can you recommend a good course for French? I took French in both high school and college, and though I was never fluent by any means and am quite rusty, I think I can manage well if the book gives enough explanation. Is there anything you would suggest other than Rosetta Stone? I'd think I'd prefer something that teaches in a more traditional way. Thanks.

Isn't Breaking the Barrier just grammar exercises? Or is my information wrong? I have the Breaking the Barrier Spanish book and it's only grammar. Is there more to the program?

French in Action isn't bad. It has listening and reading components as well as grammar, if you get the workbook and can find the tapes (they're free online somewhere, but I'm not finding them right now -- the workbook without the tapes isn't worth much). The text is mostly a transcription of the videos, with a couple extra reading exercises. It's probably not worth getting the text unless you can get it cheap. But the videos can be viewed for free:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

Maybe watching the videos and doing a grammar book would get you started.

Pimsleur French has speaking and listening. I think it's overpriced though, so you might want to see if your library has it. My kids have been able to do these on their own for Spanish. They do pick up a bit of grammar from them. The Spanish has been great. However, the French ones are a bit more difficult because you don't see the words written out (not a problem with Spanish as everything is pronounced so phonetically). It's sometimes a little difficult to figure out what they're saying in French. And it seems that the grammar was explained better in the Spanish ones than in the French ones. If you know French, you'd probably be able to follow the Pimsleur tapes, though, so it might work if you work with your daughter.

You could try mango languages:

http://www.mangolanguages.com/lesson

There is also a free program called Before You Know It somewhere on the web. However, it seemed to me it was just fancy flashcards. It might be an ok supplement.

Some libraries have Tell Me More online.

Michel Thomas has some nice introductory CDs, but I wouldn't buy them. They really don't cover much for the price. See if the library has them. They will probably only get you through a couple weeks of study. We did them in one week. (I know some claim he will get you to fluency in 14 hours, but -- if it's too good to be true, it probably is.)

You might want to try the Bilingual Education board (here on the WTM boards) for more suggestions.

Michel Thomas has some nice introductory CDs, but I wouldn't buy them. They really don't cover much for the price. See if the library has them. They will probably only get you through a couple weeks of study. We did them in one week. (I know some claim he will get you to fluency in 14 hours, but -- if it's too good to be true, it probably is.)

I agree that Michel Thomas tapes won't make a curriculum unto themselves, but as a supplement we have found them more valuable than almost anything else we've tried. He really gets you speaking French you will actually USE in everyday life. My dd and I try to remember to speak to each other daily, and before we went to France this past May we listened to his CDs and were amazed at how much we could speak when we were there.

We are beginners in the language, and I do plan on using Breaking the Barrier after we finish L'art de Lire, but we also still listen to Michel when we're driving around town. Love him!

I think it's easy enough to do French at home, as long as you take it seriously and do it every day pretty much. That's the key, IMHO. Also some sort of speaking component seems necessary, and by 2nd semester French I & definitely French II, you need to start noticing the grammar that's going on (different tenses, forms of verbs, etc.).

My youngest is using Rosetta Stone with the MFW schedule & suggested additions.

My older dd did French II at home and went easily into French III & IV at the public schools. She used just a variety of materials we came across, including many that have been mentioned -- Pimsleur, French In Action, etc. I also like things that are portable, like the old Learnables cassettes.

For a grammar workbook, she used Barron's which now is called E-Z French. It was inexpensive and included answers in the back. She didn't need to do all of it by any means even for French II.

For speaking, I hired a French teacher during the summer to meet with her several times & talk in French. She felt my dd was on par with her students.

The main thing that was NOT useful was a textbook at home, since I can't read the teacher manual in French. Ooops... I now see you want a more traditional program. I'm probably no help!

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

We are loving Tell Me More! It is computer software and includes a headset for learning correct pronunciation. It covers all the levels of French we will ever need. The only thing lacking is a grammar book with exercises to write out. I'm off to search for an earlier recommendation here to team up with TMM.