Menu

Is a Bosch mixer worth it?

I'm considering getting a Bosch mixer. . . .

See, I had one about a decade ago, a hand-me-down from a neighbor and. . . I never used it much. I sort of doubted its effectiveness with kneading dough, etc. I dunnoh. So, I passed it on several years ago to another neighbor.

Now, I'm thinking of getting back into bread making, and, well, I'm thinking about that Bosch.

For those of you who have them, how do they do? Do they last? I remember it being rather large.

Should I get one?

Anyone looking to unload one? :D

Thanks so for any responses.

T.

I love my Bosch Universal. I think it kneads the bread dough (2-loaf recipe) fine. It doesn't do as well with my pizza dough recipe because I only make enough for one crust and that doesn't seem to be enough to work well with the mixing blade. I use it for that use anyways; I just complain a little each time, lol.

I use the blender attachment for smoothies on a regular basis.

I use the grain grinder to grind wheatberries for the bread.

It is kind of large, but it definitely holds a worthwhile spot on my counter.

I love my Bosch Universal. I think it kneads the bread dough (2-loaf recipe) fine. It doesn't do as well with my pizza dough recipe because I only make enough for one crust and that doesn't seem to be enough to work well with the mixing blade. I use it for that use anyways; I just complain a little each time, lol.

I use the blender attachment for smoothies on a regular basis.

I use the grain grinder to grind wheatberries for the bread.

It is kind of large, but it definitely holds a worthwhile spot on my counter.

Ooh, so there is a mill you can get to go with it? If you get the universal. Is it a good mill? On par with Nutrimill do you think?

I really like my Bosch Universal. I make dough for five loaves at a time, and it handles it very well. If I were only making dough for one or two loaves at a time, I would probably have bought a KitchenAid. The Bosch is large and is wider than I would like. The KA is higher but would fit on my countertop and is more attractive. I guess you don't buy a Bosch for the look, though! I don't think it can be beat for dough. Oh, I love that it can whip a huge batch of mashed potatoes and cookie dough (not together, although I suppose it would do that, too!;)) I have had mine for five years and have used it heavily. The only problem I've had is when the hook somehow started scraping the cover. I called the company I purchased it from, and they arranged to have a new cover sent. I had it within a week and haven't had a problem since.

Edited to add: I find the attachments to be SO expensive so haven't bought any.

I've never had another grain mill, so I can't compare. I'm happy with it, though. Beautiful flour that makes great bread. No mess, not too noisy.

My Universal came with the blender attachment. I paid separately ($90 for a returned one) at Pleasant Hill Grains (also where I bought the Universal) for the grain mill and adapter. Definitely good purchases that have served our family well.

There are other attachments as well, including a meat grinder.

Jennifer's right; if you can borrow one to try, that would be best. There is a heavy duty mixer yahoo group, too, that might be helpful.

I have a Bosch Universal and have been very happy with it. I use it for all my mixing needs (except for smaller things which can be done with a hand mixer). It's a wonder at making bread dough--I make 4-5 loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time--and the blender and food processor attachments are great, too. It's well over 15 years old; it might even be closer to 20.

Is it worth the investment? I dunno. :) But it's a good machine. Back when I bought mine, no one talked about a Viking; real homeschoolers used a Bosch and made all their bread.:D

I have a Bosch Universal and love it. I do everything with it and for the last several years have added on the extras when I got birthday money. At least I felt like I was spending it on something for "me"!!

I use mine every week for bread. My recipe make 4-5 loaves. It seems to be the perfect amount for us, as I make two loaves of bread and form the rest into buns of some sort, either dinner rolls or hamburger size buns. I also use it for pizza dough. I actually quadruple my recipe and use one portion for that nights pizza and I divide up the other three portions and put them in ziplocs and place in the freezer. That way I have a quick, go to meal of pizza any other night.

My chocolate chip cookie recipe is huge....and it has no problem mixing it. The complete bowl is full when we are done with that batch.

I use the blender mostly for smoothies, but also to mix up salad dressing, etc.

I bought the food processor and shredder/slicer. I haven't used the food processor that much, so if I had to choose between those two, I would take the slicer/shredder. It is a huge bowl and that is nice when you have extra garden produce to slicer or shred to put away in the freezer. I would definitely recommend that, if you had to choose attachments.

I don't have the grain mill, but will probably look into it one day when my current one decides to quit. I have been using a Champion for that, and while it does a good job, it is heavy and cumbersome. We grind a lot at once and stick it in the freezer. It would be nicer to have the Bosch attachment, as it is always out on the countertop anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.....

I have not read all of the replies, so hope I am not repeating here.

I have had a Bosch for over 10 years, my Mom's is probably over 20 years old and my sister's is at least 20 years old. They last forever.

My sister used her's daily for years and years.

I can do 15 cups of flour in mine, which makes 6 loaves of bread. It does not even hiccup, ever.

My DD and daughter in laws all have Kitchenaids. They are adorable and I love them sitting on the counter. Recently I spent time with my DD as she had a new baby. I made bread there several times. I had flour everywhere, and 10 cups of flour in a machine that could hold up to 14..well, I dind't think it handled it nearly as well as my Bosch does.

I have not read all of the replies, so hope I am not repeating here.

I have had a Bosch for over 10 years, my Mom's is probably over 20 years old and my sister's is at least 20 years old. They last forever.

My sister used her's daily for years and years.

I can do 15 cups of flour in mine, which makes 6 loaves of bread. It does not even hiccup, ever.

My DD and daughter in laws all have Kitchenaids. They are adorable and I love them sitting on the counter. Recently I spent time with my DD as she had a new baby. I made bread there several times. I had flour everywhere, and 10 cups of flour in a machine that could hold up to 14..well, I dind't think it handled it nearly as well as my Bosch does.

Yes, that's what my KitchenAid does :glare:

Food for thought! What kind do you have?

I have a Bosch Universal and have been very happy with it. I use it for all my mixing needs (except for smaller things which can be done with a hand mixer). It's a wonder at making bread dough--I make 4-5 loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time--and the blender and food processor attachments are great, too. It's well over 15 years old; it might even be closer to 20.

Is it worth the investment? I dunno. :) But it's a good machine. Back when I bought mine, no one talked about a Viking; real homeschoolers used a Bosch and made all their bread.:D

Oh, yeah! And I was real! lol I still love my Bosch. I use the blender and the mixer although not quite as often. Dh has been asking me to get back to regular bread making again. It was helping him become more.... how do I say..... um......

Yes, that's what my KitchenAid does :glare:

Food for thought! What kind do you have?

what kind of Bosch?

I don't know, but it looks like this one, as does my Mom's and my sister's. Apparently they don't make this style anymore.

However, I still trust the Bosch mixers will be around for decades to come.

I've had my Bosch 7-8 years now. I make 5 loaves of fresh milled whole wheat bread at a time. I pay about 75 cents per loaf. 7 years of bread for my family probably saved me over $2000 just until now. For us, it's worth it. If you're not making bread all the time, save the money and get a kitchenaid.

By the way, I have perfected making squishy whole wheat bread in my bosch. So many people asked my how I did it, so I blogged it here: http://myfathersdaughter7.blogspot.com/2010/03/beths-bread.html

Beth

Edited by bethben
added

I really like my Bosch Universal. I make dough for five loaves at a time, and it handles it very well. If I were only making dough for one or two loaves at a time, I would probably have bought a KitchenAid.

:iagree: I burned up two Kitchen Aids before I got the my Bosch.:glare: I use it several times a week, usually at least twice just for bread.(we eat a lot of bread, at least a loaf a day) Mix up meatloaf/meatballs/hamburger meat, cookies, blender, etc. I have the food processor attachment but don't use it much. HTH :)

I've had my Bosch 7-8 years now. I make 5 loaves of fresh milled whole wheat bread at a time. I pay about 75 cents per loaf. 7 years of bread for my family probably saved me over $2000 just until now. For us, it's worth it. If you're not making bread all the time, save the money and get a kitchenaid.

By the way, I have perfected making squishy whole wheat bread in my bosch. So many people asked my how I did it, so I blogged it here: http://myfathersdaughter7.blogspot.com/2010/03/beths-bread.html

Beth

We use the SAME ingredients! Country Life heh? I get my ingredients through my mom's food coop. LOVE it! Just placed an order for 100# of wheat berries!!!