Menu

Question about Facebook

So my dh has retired, and now he is looking for a job. Employers have our email address, which is what my facebook page is under. I have my privacy settings set to the highest (only friends, yada, yada), but my dh is worried that anything I post on there is being seen by people with whom he is interviewing. Is that really possible? I know employers can look at FB pages, but can they look at one that is under someone else's name? Believe me, my FB page is nothing if not innocuous, LOL, but sometimes I say something like "dh's interview went well" or whatever so my friends who are praying can know, and he doesn't like that. I'm not planning on mentioning him anymore, but I was just curious.

Just to be on the safe side, I would open a yahoo or hotmail email account just for Facebook. Then you don't need to worry about it and you don't have all that junk coming into your regular email account.

I was going to suggest something similar. Most people I interview have a gmail (or similar) account that's personal to them on their resume -- eg Johnsmith@gmail.com. I wouldn't list a "family" email on a resume.

My bil works in internet security. Last time I saw him we were talking about fb and how he was not going to be able to hire a potentially great candidate because of something posted by one of his wife's fb friends. He said yes, it was a reach, and yes, it seemed unfair, but he was doing hiring for a security firm and he has to look far and wide at all applicants.

I'd set up a separate email account and "hide" my name from a fb search as long as dh is on a job hunt. In fact, dh and I were talking about this and decided that if one of our family members was really out to be hired for a big job, or if one of the kids were to apply to med school, law school, etc, the rest of us would consider setting our accounts dormant for a while. You just never know what bias may be had by the person doing the hiring. JMO.

Or maybe it's time to separate you and dh's email addresses. Most internet service providers allow you to create several accounts, or of course there are the free ones. You can create a new email address for yourself, and leave the old one for dh to use. That way, dh is free of the worry. It should be easy to change your FB email.

This is a little off-topic, but make sure your husband has a LinkedIn account! My husband is always surprised at the number of people who use it and make good connections. Just last week some old high school friends found him through LinkedIn! They'd been searching for him and hadn't found him through any other method.

My bil works in internet security. Last time I saw him we were talking about fb and how he was not going to be able to hire a potentially great candidate because of something posted by one of his wife's fb friends. He said yes, it was a reach, and yes, it seemed unfair, but he was doing hiring for a security firm and he has to look far and wide at all applicants.

See, that's what I don't understand. How can anyone see what is posted under my account? I'm not applying for a job, and it's my name there. How can they hack into it (or whatever it is they do to see these things)?

I'm guessing a lot had to do with the privacy settings of each party involved. So if you settings are all on "friends only," I'd think it would be impossible for them to see your page.

But (and maybe I fall into the sorta-paranoid camp) one can never be too sure. JMO.

See, that's what I was thinking too. Mine are as tight as possible, not because I post anything remotely controversial, but just because, LOL. So if anyone who had our email address could look at my (very private) FB account just by saying they were thinking of hiring my dh--that just seemed really weird.

But how can you not be paranoid in this crazy internet world?! :)

Just thought I'd mention something my dh told me the other day. When FB changes any of their settings it can set your security settings back to default. Sure enough I went in and checked and mine and my two girls accounts were set back so that everyone could see and post on our walls! So now I am going to have to go in every week to make sure our settings are right. :glare:

Just thought I'd mention something my dh told me the other day. When FB changes any of their settings it can set your security settings back to default. Sure enough I went in and checked and mine and my two girls accounts were set back so that everyone could see and post on our walls! So now I am going to have to go in every week to make sure our settings are right. :glare:

Yes, I've heard that too. I'm pretty anal about checking my settings! But that makes it even more reasonable to assume that the people whose statuses and walls are being checked by potential employers are those for whom everyone in the world can see their stuff, with no privacy settings at all. I know there are alot of people out there like that, especially because FB is so ridiculously sneaky about changing things!

So my dh has retired, and now he is looking for a job. Employers have our email address, which is what my facebook page is under. I have my privacy settings set to the highest (only friends, yada, yada), but my dh is worried that anything I post on there is being seen by people with whom he is interviewing. Is that really possible? I know employers can look at FB pages, but can they look at one that is under someone else's name? Believe me, my FB page is nothing if not innocuous, LOL, but sometimes I say something like "dh's interview went well" or whatever so my friends who are praying can know, and he doesn't like that. I'm not planning on mentioning him anymore, but I was just curious.

I think you must set privacy for others so that they can view your information that u have shown, not your wall and pics and videos.if they wanna call you they can through message.

I 100% advise you to change your own email on FB to a "catch-all" email immediately since your dh is using the main email account for resumes. Since it sounds like your dh has already sent out resumes with that email it is going to be up to you to use the other one. If he has not sent them out then get him a new one immediately and have him use that. There is no internet trail with it. It is so easy to use more than one email that would protect him from general internet searches. I just Googled my own email address and it is all over the place. *Any* mention of your email is readable online and will be attached to him. If you have ever posted it here, it will show up and anything you have posted could affect him.

I don't know how the background check companies have access to FB, but they do. It is truly *not* a good idea to use the same email for business and personal emails.

But by changing email how can he make companies stop seeing his post and videos and photos.....

The email that is attached to his resume (from what I understand from the OP) is the same one attached to their FB. If they change them then when they do a search for that email, it will not be found.