Menu

Pumpkin head on a stake in our yard

Garga

Ds8 had the idea that for Halloween we should carve a pumpkin head and put it on a stake on our fence in the front yard. He said that we can tell people it's part of a history project. (We've learned a lot about heads being hung on the walls of cities to discourage insurrections.)

Morbid as it is, I love this idea. I go to a church that isn't big on celebrating Halloween. I guess if I have a beheaded pumpkin staked in my front yard, they'll kinda figure out that I love Halloween and secretly celebrate it every year....oh well! :tongue_smilie:

Ds8 had the idea that for Halloween we should carve a pumpkin head and put it on a stake on our fence in the front yard. He said that we can tell people it's part of a history project. (We've learned a lot about heads being hung on the walls of cities to discourage insurrections.)

Morbid as it is, I love this idea. I go to a church that isn't big on celebrating Halloween. I guess if I have a beheaded pumpkin staked in my front yard, they'll kinda figure out that I love Halloween and secretly celebrate it every year....oh well! :tongue_smilie:

LIKE! Silly me, so used to facebook I keep looking for a "like" button!

I had a decapitated vampire bride's head hanging from a post in front of our house every Halloween season, and then on Halloween night, we would do street theater with me in my wedding dress and DH as a gargoyle chasing me into the back and coming back with that head.

We lived in the deeeep south bible belt, and everyone thought it was hilarious. One woman had to sit down in the middle of the street to keep from peeing, she was laughing so hard.

I think you'll be ok with a pumpkin on a stake. ;)

a

We don't do Halloween for religious reasons. However, we have been working on an extensive pre-contact Indian project this past year or so, which involves lots of bones, hides, feathers, etc. Unfortunately, if we leave a skull or animal body part unattended, coyotes or bears or something will make off with our treasures. So we use old electric fence wire to fasten the parts high up in trees out in the pasture, where the birds and insects can clean them thoroughly.

Last October, dd and I were out walking in the pasture and started to giggle at the gruesome sight we had inadvertently created. She said, "Mom, this is so much more convincing and scary than a few styrofoam headstones. We look like the kind of people that scare me!"

We need to start a club!!! Church moms who love Halloween:D We've already started the crafts, food shopping, costume ideas. I really want to throw a party...only problem is most of my kids friends...don't celebrate. I think I will start a seperate thread for ideas!

I have a friend whose soon-to-be-ex-husband is an artist. Last year, he took foam blocks and carved scary-looking pumpkin heads out of the foam and painted them and stuck them on stakes in their front yard. Between that, the giant headless scarecrow, and the projection of Halloween images onto the white sheet they put over their spare room window (so that you can see the images from the cul-de-sac), they go all out. I think one single pumpkin on a stick would be fine! :)