Menu

Art and Music, Painful?

AllBoys

We have been just awful with art and music. It is the first thing we dump, every year. This year I am planning to make it a priority.

For art, I am considering Meet the Masters, which I have never seen. I am also interested in Mark Kistler's online classes. Both of these are on the homeschool buyer's coop for 50-60% off.

For music, I just purchased the Music Masters Cd's. I am interested in the book The Story of the Orchestra. We take piano lessons.

My boys are 9 and 12. I would probably add books about the artist/composer if/as necessary. Please tell me what you think. Not sure about the time these things will take. Any idea from those of you who actually do art/music? I really want to come up with a plan that is realistic and enjoyable.

My kids favorite subjects to do are music and art. In order to make myself do it I put them on my schedule, and my ds reminds me. For music we are using Story of the Orchestra, last year we used the Carnival of animals. For art I'm using Great American Artists for Kids. The author of that book has several different titles. We also have some books with famous artists, and child sized masterpieces.

Listen to classical music while doing other things...maybe even art LOL.

Simply stating that I'm putting on Mozart or Debussey or Bach and then doing it teaches dc to recognize the composers' style when they hear it. That's a very good start! Listen while you cook, do chores, or any quiet activity you can all do in the same room. Don't feel you have to analyze it or anything...

I don't follow a formal curriculum, but I do at least 1 art project a week from ideas I find online. www.artprojectsforkids.org is a favorite, and you can search for projects related to specific artists or grade levels. Most of these can be done with a book on the artist from the library and the supplies you already have. Check with your local art museums, both of ours offer hs classes that are inexpensive.

I really want to come up with a plan that is realistic and enjoyable.

If your kids like classical music, you can do what I do: we did the Vox Music Masters to orient ourselves to classical music, and how me listen to the good classical station A LOT, often guessing who the composer is. We are often close. If the music was nice for us (it helps we like the same kind) and an unknown, we google the name.

1 have 3 hours per month per year penciled in, but really, we end up doing it over 9 hours a month. He draws or glues or assembles legos, etc. I cook and fold laundry, etc.

It is amazing what you can pick up just spending some time at it. There are some good YouTube vids of music to see how instruments are played.