Menu

Should I take her to a MD or an ND?

Problem - Dd8 has had stomach cramps, vomiting (on Sat. & Sun only), fatigue since Saturday evening.

Our diagnosis - Dh (an RN if that makes any difference) and I have tentatively diagnosed food poisoning. Dh has been suffering too. (I say tentatively but we're 99% sure that this is what it is and that it isn't a virus).

Treatment - rest and lots of acidophilus

My worry - It's gotten somewhat better (no more vomiting) but the stomach cramps still hurt her a lot. It seems an awful long time to be having this.

My biases - Allopathic (conventional) medicine tends to treat the symptoms and goes for prescription meds. I know that antibiotics etc. can be life saving when needed but many prescriptions have bad side effects. I have a long history of taking someone to the doctor (including myself) to have the doctor dismiss the symptoms.

I like naturopathic doctors but I know that they aren't always the best for acute situations because their treatments don't work as quickly.

So what says the hive? Do I take her in or not? And if I do take her in - who do I take her to?

Could it be that she has strep? It often presents with abd pain and vomiting. Sometimes headache. Sore throat doesn't have to be present.

I just ask because it is going around here.

Neither dd8 or dh have had any respiratory symptoms at all. And no headache. I forgot to say that dh told me last night that he has some blood in his stool. Dd8 says that her bms are normal but I told her that I want to see them today (ie. don't flush!)

Unbeknownst to us, my D had Salmonella that she caught while we in Central America (though you can catch it here, too). After the first week of stomach cramps and fatigue--"Mom,.I'm not getting any better!" I took her to the doctor who did a stool culture (4 business days) and it turned out to be Salmonella.

The doctor said that the Salmonella would eventually go away on its own but it might be 3 weeks or so. Based upon that, we decided to go the antibiotics route and D was noticeably improved within 72 hours.

As an added note, my D has also had Step throat 2x and Mono 2x and the symptoms were identical to the Salmonella...fatigue, abdominal cramping, loose bowels--and absolutely no sore throat, ever.

As much as I don't like using traditional MDs, they do serve a purpose.

I would go to the M.D. in light of what you have told us here.

Or...make appointments at both places. See what the MD says and if it makes sense to you. If not, see what the ND says.

Probiotics should help and lots of lemon water to flush the system. Also, this may sound a bit odd but castor oil poured on a flannel scrap of fabric and put on the belly for minimum of one hour or overnight can help the liver with processing things.

WARNING: The Castor oil will stain everything. I cut out a piece of plastic bag and staple it to the fabric. Then wear it with the plastic side toward the clothes. Use old clothes that you can either discard or not be upset if she will never wear them again.

Or...make appointments at both places. See what the MD says and if it makes sense to you. If not, see what the ND says.

Probiotics should help and lots of lemon water to flush the system. Also, this may sound a bit odd but castor oil poured on a flannel scrap of fabric and put on the belly for minimum of one hour or overnight can help the liver with processing things.

WARNING: The Castor oil will stain everything. I cut out a piece of plastic bag and staple it to the fabric. Then wear it with the plastic side toward the clothes. Use old clothes that you can either discard or not be upset if she will never wear them again.

Liz, I just wanted to say that I did the Castor oil just like this when I had ovarian cysts. It worked for that too.