Menu

Physics career options?

Many go into research or teaching- typical employers are universities, governement labs, defense industry.

However, some end up working for software companies or on Wall street - they don't use the physics they learned, but are hired because of their abstract thinking and problem solving skills.

How old is your DS? Is he in college yet? Often the preference for theoretical vs experimental really crystallizes when the student becomes involved in undergraduate research projects with faculty members. The degree is the same for both, btw- a physics degree.

Thank-you for responding regentrude.

Ds is in 9th grade this year. I asked the question for two reasons. The first, because I read in another thread that research may not be a good field for dc.

Secondly, I asked because I'm trying to make sure he has the coursework he needs to get into a good school. It seems that many schools, even state schools, have additional requirements for incoming freshmen that want be physics majors.

Honestly, dh and I know almost nothing about this field. I don't even know which colleges to research or what to look for in a college (other than MIT, UC Berkely, etc.-the top schools).

A friend told me to make sure the college has a really good math department first. It makes sense but, I'm not sure how to go about doing even that task. Anyway, I thought working backwards from a career might help.

Again, thank-you for your input.

Denise

OK, I guess should first mention why I think I am qualified to give advice regarding physics. I have a PhD in physics, am actually a theorist, and teach physics at a four year university.

If you are looking for a good place to do an undergraduate degree in physics you should look and see if the Physics department has a graduate program in physics. This is really a criterion for the best professors to choose the job; the quality of research is better if there is a graduate program. This does not mean that a professor teaching at a school without a graduate program is less qualified or not a good teacher; however, the opportunities to be involved in research as an undergraduate and to be exposed to a wide variety of current physics are better at a school with grad program.

A physics degree is extremely versatile because by earning it you have proven to a potential employer that you have solid math skills, good analytical skills, problem solving and are able to grasp abstract concepts.

In order to prepare your son for majoring in physics, you should make sure that his math is absolutely solid. This does not mean that he must have taken calculus in high school; in fact, the algebra and trig skills will be much more important.

Obviously it would be a good thing for him to take physics in high school. However, it is my experience that it is not beneficial for students to test out of the introductory courses at the university - so I would not recommend aiming to CLEP physics or take the AP with the aim of getting college credit for it. While AP physics is wonderful and a good preparation, the contents is not necessarily the equivalent of the introductory physics class at the university.

I would begin exploring schools by just looking at their websites and looking at the Physics department website. The faculty members typically have information about their research activities there as well.

Good luck. Physics is exciting. I have read the discussion about research not being recommended and I do not agree with it. I am married to a very happy researcher who could not dream of a better job and I am surrounded by people who love their research. I myself have chosen to give up research when my children were young and to begin a part time teaching career because that works best in our family situation. But these choices do not need to be made at the beginning of one's college education or early in professional life.

I have a ds that thinks he wants to major in astrophysics. Unless he gets major scholarships (which might actually happen with this particular child), he will probably end up at UVa.

Regentrude, I have a question that I hope you can answer. What is the distinction between a BA and BS when it comes to physics degrees? I am baffled by the number of schools that offer BAs and almost every astrophysics degree is a BA. I must be missing a distinction b/c I look at the coursework and I don't understand why it is a BA.

Thanks!

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Many go into research or teaching- typical employers are universities, governement labs, defense industry.

However, some end up working for software companies or on Wall street - they don't use the physics they learned, but are hired because of their abstract thinking and problem solving skills.

I wanted to echo this response. My husband and I both have master's degrees in mathematics. I went into teaching while my husband is a systems engineer for a utility. His colleagues include people with engineering degrees, computer science or IT degrees, and physics/chemistry degrees. Degree programs cannot train future employees for industry specific tasks; rather, degree problems should create problem solvers and innovators. People who study physics and math are often attractive for their thinking skills.

Regentrude, I have a question that I hope you can answer. What is the distinction between a BA and BS when it comes to physics degrees? I am baffled by the number of schools that offer BAs and almost every astrophysics degree is a BA. I must be missing a distinction b/c I look at the coursework and I don't understand why it is a BA.

I was not sure, but I just asked my husband: as far as he knows, the BA is typically given to physics teachers, while the BS is what actual physicists earn. Not sure if that is a general rule.

Thanks!

When I was in grad school, I remember some students who had BAs as opposed to BSs by convention of their alma mater. Essentially we had the same backgrounds but, for some reason, their colleges did not give a BS in the subject. Personally, I would not worry about this distinction. When a student applies to graduate school, his undergrad coursework and research is examined. That is what is important--not a BA or BS.

Wow, this is great. Thank-you everyone! I will begin looking for the graduate programs to help us better choose colleges to target.

Regentrude, you said not to skip college into. level physics. So, ds should not take physics at the CC? Would he be more attractive to good schools if he just took a rigorous physics course from an online school and then got a good grade on the SAT II? I'm trying to figure out that whole "certify the mommy grades and prove you're worthy," thing.

It's funny that you mentioned astrophysics, 8FilltheHeart. My ds says he wants to make Star Trek a reality. Now, that sounds like fun!

Denise

Thanks, Jane. I have been really wondering about whether we should worry about it or not.

He is also thinking he will minor in math. If he takes the math he wants this yr and next, I'm hoping he will be able to continue his math at the local uni starting either the second semester of his sophomore yr or the beginning of his jr. If they will admit him, he will be able to finish through differential equations before he even finishes high school :tongue_smilie:

How on earth I am supposed to guide a young man that LOVES/BREATHES math, physics/science in general that also LOVES serving at Mass and thinks he might have a vocational calling but can't figure out how to be an astrophysicist priest :lol: .........:confused::tongue_smilie::001_huh:?????

Regentrude, you said not to skip college into. level physics. So, ds should not take physics at the CC? Would he be more attractive to good schools if he just took a rigorous physics course from an online school and then got a good grade on the SAT II? I'm trying to figure out that whole "certify the mommy grades and prove you're worthy," thing.

I have no knowledge about the admissions side and none about outside validation for homeschoolers, sorry. (I worry about the same thing ;-)

I do not think it is a problem to take physics at the CC - if it is a quality course, it is a great opportunity. I would not, however, approach this with the goal of substituting this for the university intro class at any cost. If the school accepts the credit, fine; he can then always decide to not take intro physics - after a careful examination of the course syllabus and a good talk with his advisor.

You definitely don't do anything wrong - either way.

My husband is a PhD physicist. He went to the University of Chicago which gave him a BA in Physics. When he was in graduate school, he was able to pass out of several classes because he had already had them in his undergraduate program. Not only did the BA not hold him back, but actually the program at U of C helped him do more (he didn't finish his MS earlier, just took more advanced classes). No one at the U of C became a teacher directly since U of C had no education major.

He agrees with Reguntrude that you do not want to skip the intro physics classes for science major at your college. THat doesn't mean don't take AP or CC classes. He took AP in high school and then did the intro classes at college.

In terms of applied physics- it is not engineering. My husband's master and PhD was in applied. The big difference between applied and theoretical is how lengthy your research will be. Applied is shorter term research with a goal of achieving something useful. THeoretical often takes many, many years. One big reason my dh chose applied is because his personality is one where he likes results. He wouldn't be happy working on a problem that may not be solved.