Menu

Writing Strands- Like it or Hate it?

Virg

We got WS a year or so ago, and both girls using it liked the format (the younger one, about 13 at the time, thought he was quite funny - not that that is so crucial, though) and both were engaged with the lessons. My problem was that we didn't stick to formal writing lessons at the time, so we didn't get all that far into it. Had I made more of a point to do it, I think we could have made progress. So, all that to say: yes, we did like it; we just needed to do more of it.

Nancy in Albera.

It looked structured enough but DD didn't seem to get much out of it. And sometimes she wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. It just didn't mesh with her learning style and my teaching style.

I switched to Meaningful Composition.

Edited by jannylynn

Not to get off topic, but, Poke Salad Annie, what are the Wm. Henry Maxwell composition texts? And what is googlebook? You could email me privately, if this isn't appropriate for this topic.

Nancy in Alberta.

It's right here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=E_8AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Wm.+Henry+Maxwell+composition&hl=en&ei=pQuLTL7-A4WFnQf1iKTjCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

It looks like great material! :)

I changed my mind about using it after I found the Wm. Henry Maxwell composition texts at googlebooks.com. They are based upon imitation of a model, with excerpts from popular classic books.

Thanks for sharing this....looks very interesting! I would have never found it without you mentioning it. Wondering if you just print it off for free or is it easier to buy a bound book?

Sorry, don't mean to take away from the OP. Feel free to PM me.:)

Oh good:D This really is a treasure of a find! THere are many other English books by Wm Henry Maxwell. Here's a link to see several:

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A1&tbo=1&q=Wm.+Henry+Maxwell&btnG=Search+Books

This is an answer to prayer, as I really was searching and didn't love anything I had seen or used thus far. So THANK YOU Poke Salad Annie!!! :D

I used it last year for my dyslexic high schooler and my reluctant 12 year old.

We liked parts of it. The core sentences were a big hit. The rest of it, not so much. So, I just adapted it to there needs and expanded on the core sentence theme and basically skipped the rest.

c0150833-991d-49f2-8eab-039fbbb570f8

My thought about Writing Strands was that it seemed best for a child who had difficulty getting that first word on paper. That appears to be the reason for the building of sentences. That exercise is one that could be easily done on a dry-erase board. I think that some of the exercises are helpful, and if you already have a copy on hand, use it. Then you could move onto the Maxwell text, School Composition. It appears that those two could go hand-in-hand. The Maxwell texts are much more challenging, and help the writer build up skills gradually. There are a series of questions to answer which help to put that dreaded first word on paper.

We have always used the Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons text for grammar and writing, and I have noticed that it has eased my little guy into writing very nicely. The Maxwell text First Book in English should work in the same way. I suggest these texts as they are free and in the public domain and do not require the purchase of a program which may or may not work. I would print off the table of contents for some of the Maxwell texts, then go from there in planning. Just print off a few of the writing exercises, see if they are received well, and go from there. You at least are not out anything except for a bit of ink and paper. (Copy paper is on sale at Walmart right now for $2.50 a ream.)

Thanks for sharing this....looks very interesting! I would have never found it without you mentioning it. Wondering if you just print it off for free or is it easier to buy a bound book?

I wouldn't order a book just yet until you try doing a few of the exercises first. Make sure this is what works for you and your children, then either print the book as you need it and punch and put into a notebook, or have it spiral bound.

We have 4 of the books and for some reason we just don't like them. They writing topics seemed silly lots of the time (like imagine the library is floating, the books, etc.). We did pick a few things out of it though- like narrative voice, passive voice...

I guess, since they are fairly inexpensive, you could always buy one and see for yourself...

I wouldn't order a book just yet until you try doing a few of the exercises first. Make sure this is what works for you and your children, then either print the book as you need it and punch and put into a notebook, or have it spiral bound.

OK, I'm really impressed. I'm reading through Primary Lessons in Language and Composition- this is an awesome classical writing text! Thanks for cluing me in on this!

We've really enjoyed Writing Strands with dd14 and dd11. Dd14 is not a happy writer so the WS exercises give her direction and purpose. She's learned to proof read and has a variety of writing tools thanks to Writing Strands.

DD11 loves to write. Writing Strands has helped her understand the mechanics of writing in a way that has enriched her natural creativity. If she hates the topic given we work together to find an appropriate topic that fits the assignment.

The key with Writing Strands is the evaluation component. My dc don't particularly love that part but it's enabled them both to develop their writing skills.

I liked it in theory, but didn't like the actual implementation. Dd found the lessons boring, and I simply could not see the logic of the lessons. What were we trying to achieve? We switched to IEW (just the theme-based book without any of the dvds) and it is much clearer to me where we are going - I feel like a partner, rather than an unwilling passenger!

Nikki

I liked it in theory, but didn't like the actual implementation. Dd found the lessons boring, and I simply could not see the logic of the lessons. What were we trying to achieve?

:iagree:That's exactly how I felt. I switched to Classical Writing with DD9, she did Aesop A & B and is just starting Homer. It's not my favorite curriculum, but it gets her writing without subjecting us to a bunch of pointless exercises. I'm using WWE with DS and DD7, and we love it! To be accurate, I love it and they tolerate it.

I tried three separate times to use it and like it because of SWB's unwavering recommendation over the years (she said it got better at the higher levels). I never succeeded in making my peace with it. Here's why:

1. I don't understand how it helps us fulfill TWTM's overall stated writing philosophy. It seems like a VERY different approach than that.

2. There's soooo much creative writing (and I hate creative writing).

3. Some lessons are verrrrry slow and detailed and then other lessons make huge leaps in difficulty--the pace seemed very uneven to me.

4. This sounds trivial, but I got really fed up with a book that puts all of these lines in the book (inviting the child to write there) and then preaches a sermon every three pages about how you are NOT supposed to write in the book! Ummm, OK. I had a very black and white kid who was in tears because I was telling him to write in the book but the book said not to. I can't count how many times I said, "It's OK, I'm the one who bought the book with my money, so it's OK for me to tell you to write in it."