Menu

Who do you see for your thyroid?

The family doc is a good place to start because when they run that bloodwork they can also check some other things that would be more appropriate to discuss with them than a gyno, like cholesterol and triglycerides. At the same time you can treat it like a physical and check blood pressure and discuss anything else that's going on.

The problem that I have is that my thyroid numbers come back supposedly in range, so they generally blow off the dozen symptoms I have. So if your family doc will only look at the range and call you normal without listening to why you think thyroid is off, you are better off going to an endocrinologist.

I saw an endocrinologist when I was having lots of problems with mine. She diagnosed my hypo-thyroidism and then diagnosed the numerous nodules and such on mine. I had to have mine taken completely out in two different surgeries, 2 years apart. It was not fun.

Now, I just see my family dr. She takes care of all of my blood work and prescribing my thyroid medicine. If I felt I needed to, I would go back to my endocrinologist again.

I do the reverse of what you wanted and use my general practitioner for my gyno stuff. She will even deliver low risk pregnancies.

I like that, for example, she knows details about my thyroid medication and my birth control medication, since hormones are soooo related.

ETA. Around here, endocrinologists require a referral-- completely independent of insurance reasons.

I've gone through a Family Practice Dr, Gyno, and Endocrinologist.

I found that my Gyno was very capable of handling it and just take care of the regular bloodwork and refills while I'm there for my yearly.

I don't see a GP that often, and with thyroid issues you need regular bloodwork to get refills on your meds. Going through the gyno saved me a lot of wasted visits.

I'm not looking forward to getting that personal with him :glare:.

Why not find a new family doc that you wouldn't mind talking to about personal things? I have found that as I get older, that gateway physician is increasingly important. Thyroid issues require periodic appointments to monitor levels.

I chose a smart, professional, young woman. There are lots of docs out there--find one who suits your preferences. You don't have to just "put up" with the wrong fit anymore.

Beth

I called my gynecologist to get my thyroid tested and she told me to make an appointment with my family doctor. I've only been to him once for an ear infection. I'm not looking forward to getting that personal with him :glare:.

I"m not sure what you mean by that. The symptoms of a bad thyroid aren't all that personal.

From experience though I would recommend you find a doctor that will listen to what you say more than he/she relies on the numbers. You might find that you get that more from a GP or even a PA.

I've seen an endo. Then he recommended a thyroidectomy. So I got a second opinion.

Now I see a herbalist/nutritionalist. She was able to get the nodules under control and I no longer have symptoms.

I would also consider seeing a naturopathic doctor.

:iagree:

I see an ND as well. After years of going go GP'sand told I was fine, he is the one that finally tested my T1 AND T3 and T4. Turns out I'm low in the 3 and 4.

I"m not sure what you mean by that. The symptoms of a bad thyroid aren't all that personal.

From experience though I would recommend you find a doctor that will listen to what you say more than he/she relies on the numbers. You might find that you get that more from a GP or even a PA.

I agree with this. I was very confused by how a bad thyroid could be so personal. :confused:

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism four months ago by my family doctor. He was just doing routine blood work for a yearly physical that I hadn't had done in over 5 years......:D.........Anyhow, the 'high' level for the thyroid test was anything over 2.5 and mine was.....GASP.....7.5

The dr. said he didn't even know how I got out of bed each morning. My thyroid was slowly melting away and I just thought I was getting old; I didn't even realize that I had symptoms of a serious problem.

All that to say, my GP is wonderful and handles all my blood-work and meds and is doing a great job of getting me regulated. He let me realistically know that it could take up to a year to get me on the correct dosage and my levels 'normal' since I was so very far off.

But, it's amazing how great I'm feeling after just four months of meds. Really, if you don't like or trust your GP, you really need to find one that you do like and trust as they are great for the up-keep necessary in thyroid issues.