Menu

My 11th grader wants to become a pastor in an evangelical church such as Baptist....

So..... does anyone have an opinion on the best way to prepare for the ministry during the undergraduate years? I'm trying to persuade him into taking an academic subject so that he can fall back on teaching in a school if the initial pay as a new pastor is too low to support a family. But he doesn't seem to want to do that. Nor does he seem to be interested in gaining a marketable skill though he has talent and interest in science. He's interested in a Bible institute such as the Moody college or another small Bible college that's unaccredited to save tuition cost. Speaking of colleges, does Cedarville University have a good reputation in terms of academics and preparing people for the ministry? Is it really worth the cost? I don't think my ds will qualify for a big scholarship there. He will be taking the ACT this June so we'll know more then about the possible scholarships. Are there other excellent Christian accredited colleges that don't cost twenty thousand plus dollars a year?

My dh told my boys if they want to be a preacher they still need to have soemthing academic to fall back on if income is too low to support family. Several preachers we know personally have a 2nd job other than preaching because their pay is way too low.

HOlly

Guest Katia

My dh is a pastor, and he has a BA from a small Christian college. He has found it very helpful in getting placed as a pastor, since most search committees when looking at resumes, look at your degree first. He may not ever get called to candidate at a church without at least an undergrad degree in some kind of Christian studies. Most search committees look at those with Theology first, but will consider another Christian studies degree if the candidate has prior experience as an associate pastor. Would he be willing to train as an associate first?

Also, dh apprenticed as a piano tuner for extra income as the pastor pay is low, low, low to support a homeschooling family. This has helped us immensely. Would he be willing to apprentice in a trade skill as well?

Sometimes you are called to a very, very small church where although you are the senior, full-time pastor responsible for it "all", the congregation still can not afford to pay you a living wage. Then, you become a "Bi-Vocational" pastor. Dh is here right now. He is called to this small town and small church that on a 'good' Sunday has 23 people in attendance (4 of them being our family).

In this case, you need to have more than just a trade skill; you need to have the qualifications to obtain a full-time outside job and still have the skills to do all that is required at the church as well as take care of all your family obligations.

Dh is finishing up his master's degree this May. He says he wishes he had done it right after his undergrad degree and encourages everyone he meets to do so. It has been really, really hard on both him and our family to see him go off to work his 40 hour job every day, then race off to classes, race home to read, study and do homework, and spend every hour of the weekends preparing for church sermons, lessons, etc., along with squeezing in time for piano tunings and.....family time???........just hasn't happened much in the last 2 years. But, he needs this degree to be competitive in the job market, and he needs a good income.

Being a pastor is not an easy road, that is for sure. But if he is called, send him out prepared for more than one scenario. You never know when or where he will be called.

http://www.secwf.edu/

Here is a link to an accredited 4-year college affiliated with one of the Southern Baptist seminaries. It even has a Great Books program, which I've heard is very tough! It also offers an education degree, among others. I'm not sure how much the tuition is now, but I'm pretty sure it's less than $20,000 per year.

I went back to the website and checked. Tuition is $208/credit for Southern Baptists and $416/credit for others.

ETA: My dh graduated from this college and is currently an MDiv student in the seminary. Let me know if you have questions about either one.

Our son in law started his undergrad studies at a Christian college but after a year couldn't afford the tuition so he transferred to a state school and ended up with a business degree. He went into seminary studies right after that and is due to graduate in a year and a half. He's being ordained next month as he was just voted in as music minister/youth pastor for a church. He's only 24 so he still has a lot to learn but God has certainly made things fall into place for him.

There are lots of paths; I hope your son can hear the one that calls him.

and Lord willing we will remain in ministry until God calls us home.

Though I understand the concerns about non-accredited schools, wages, marketable skills, etc., ministry is different than the secular job market.

If I may encourage you, please keep your eyes on the Lord and don't be overly concerned about the world's methods of education, etc.

My husband graduated from a small, non-accredited Bible College with a BA in Biblical Studies. (This school has recently become Moody NW.) Many of the pastors in our area graduated from the same school with two to four year degrees. Accredidation has not been an issue. Lack of a masters degree has not been an issue. Their walk with the Lord and ability to work with people in all kinds of situations are the important factors in placement and retention of a ministry position.

As far as undergraduate studies, studying the Bible, learning to minister, etc. is what should be focused on. Four years of college is only the beginning of the study your son will do throughout his life in ministry. Having a strong foundation in Bible study, preaching, and other ministry skills will benefit him much more than other subjects he might take. Ministry is hard work. Skills for the work help to lighten the load.

Most ministers will not be wealthy people. For most years in ministry our budget has not balanced on paper. But God has ALWAYS provided what we need and then blessed far beyond in amazing ways. We have not lacked. Has it been tough. Yes. But God has ALWAYS provided. My husband has never worked another job and I have not worked outside the home. Ministry is a full-time job, actually, it is more than a full-time job. We have trusted God to care for our family financially and He has always been faithful. Though there have been very difficult times financially, I would not have wanted to miss the spiritual lessons the Lord has taught us through the trials.

There is wisdom in saving tuition costs. Your son will not want to enter ministry with debt. There are many excellent Bible Colleges in the country. Seek the Lord for guidance as to where He wants your son to attend. Be more concerned for their doctrine than their accredidation.

Let me encourage you that a life of ministry is an amazing thing. That God has allowed us to serve Him full-time is humbling beyond words. We are not capable of what He's called us to, yet He uses us daily for His purposes. In the ministries we are involved in, we've had the privilege of seeing over 100 people come to know Christ each year.

Your son will have the privilege of participating in leading people to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. He will share in the joys of watching people grow in their faith. He will mourn with those who lose a family member. He will learn to love and serve God's people. What a blessing!

Please help your son to seek God's plan for His life including where to attend college. Don't worry. God's ways are always the best.

As Paul said in Philippians 4:12-13 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything throuh Him who gives me strength."

If you have questions, please feel free to e-mail. If your son would like to ask my husband questions, please feel free.

In Christ,

Cindy

mcdowall@theofficenet.com

My son feels the same call. Our pastor has taken him under his wing. Pastor is encouraging Trey to make good choices about the future (meaning college) as well as helping him prepare for a calling in the ministry. He gives Trey things to read then they discuss them together. He is also encouraging Trey to write sermons to share with the youth and children's classes. Trying to test the waters so Trey can see if this is really what he is called to.

Maybe a pastor at your church could do the same thing with your son. Just a thought.

Merry,

Back in the day, I attended Moody for two years. It was a wonderful experience, and the academics were serious, even though they did not have accreditation. Now it is a four year, back then only three.

I transferred to Wheaton College, which is very rigorous and accredited, and all my classes transferred, although many were not part of my degree plan. (I had lots of electives. :) )

If your son is serious about Moody, he could call some of the seminaries he might be interested in, ask their opinion of Moody, whether they have had MBI students, and how they've done overall.

HTH

A son needs to understand work--have a work ethic plus also understand the workforce, office politics, and the basic types of environs--as well as social and historical backgrounds--of the people he'll be ministering to. He can better minister to them if he knows the kinds of ehtical decisions these guys face. Frankly, THEY will better respect him and respond to him as their pastor if he has work or career experience, or a trade. Getting a trade to put oneself through school, through seminary, is indespendisible financially and for respect!

They will appreciate that he has an accredited (and therefore reputable) degree, or that he has had an apprenticeship under a pastor. This shows church committees and congregations that he is endorsed for the position, that he's been in and around church work for a while.

He can apprentice with a pastor or elder. He can be doing children's ministry, nursery work, building maintenance, planning mission trips and helping train workers. He can help with record keeping, web design, video recording, arts and music--whatever areas he wants to pursue (he'll be doing weddings, funerals, and knowning sound and lighting really can help!)

He needs practical church experience and education essentially in all fields--preaching, hospital visitation, counseling, parenting philosophies, Roberts Rules of Order and politics, how to manage committees and task forces. How to relate to women (who do the bulk of ministry). Getting "on the inside' can help him understand the kind of church he wants to lead.

And he will need to have a serious, intentional "calling" into ministry in spite of set backs, opposition, or hard times. THIS calling will help him stay his course.

Many churches run their ministry as a business, with a business paradigm. Some are "seeker sensitive" and follow Willowcreek/Saddleback ministry models while others are "dyed true" denominationalists. If he has a sense of what 'church is" that will help--mostly understanding the denominations' tenants, Lord's Supper, baptism, etc. He obviously doesn't have all that worked out yet, but he needs to assess what he does know.

Youth work is hard to handle when you're a young man. Parents are older than you and you don't have kids yet, and often aren't married! (I never understood why churches would hire young men to manage youth?) Many times, the guys use "youth ministry" as a "launching place" into senior ministry, but it is quite different in nature and scope.

Bottom line--get a well-rounded education, develop a trade he can do now, and KNOW your scripture. "Ten Peas in a Pod" is a challenging book in that regard! Require him to read through his Bible each six months, or to do chronological readings simultaneously with his history--help him to think! Let him copy and memorize scriptures, outline Bible books, and read "Manners and Customs" of Bible times so he understands it better EVEN before he goes to Bible college or seminary--so he won't get derailed with wild theological arguments or interpretations of "long lost manuscripts."

Help him develop an apologetic for various topics. Get him into speech and debate where he can learn to reason through arguments and present his case in a winsome and dynamic way. Get him on several different types of service projects and international mission opportunities--these will help him understand HIS culture as he works with another one.

Cathy

(pastor's wife for 30 years)