Menu

Is it legal in Ohio to hs someone else's child?

Technically, I don't think so.

It might depend on things I don't know, but that would be considered something else. You could part-time tutor someone else's kid, but the parent is the one who is notifying the local school super of the intent to HS and giving their info, etc etc. Parents can decide to farm some stuff out, but I don't think you are supposed to farm it all out to one person. Then it isn't really HSing, it is tutoring, or maybe the tiniest private school on the block.

However, I know plenty of people who send their kids to a local HS "school" (different from a co-op) that meets 4 days a week, and then do nothing else with their kids on their other days, and think that has covered everything. I am sure they just list the place as a resource. Given this, I would say, if the parent decides on the curriculum, and is on top of everything... I personally think it could work, and be fine. You definitely can say whatever you would want on the notification forms/ letter. It's not like the state comes an checks up on you.

I would say to do a bit of double checking, and you might want to ask this question on the Ohio HS list yahoo group.

Here's a link to the code: Ohio Homeschool Code It's always best to go straight to the Ohio Revised Code for answers, so that you get reliable answers.

One of the items required in the notification is: "(3) Name, address, and telephone number (telephone number optional) of person(s) who will be teaching the child the subjects set forth in paragraph (A) (5) of this rule, if other than the parent;"

At what point you cross the line from homeschool to private school could be up to debate from the superintendent. :001_smile:

I think it depends on whether you are a regular homeschooler or set yourself up as an O8 school, which is basically your own private school. My sister has done this and she is teaching our other nephew this year. She can have up to 5 students, including her own, without having to submit to fire code inspections etc.

I know there is a local "school" here for homeschoolers like what is mentioned above but it is a big O8 school and is filled with homeschoolers.

Here's a link to the code: Ohio Homeschool Code It's always best to go straight to the Ohio Revised Code for answers, so that you get reliable answers.

One of the items required in the notification is: "(3) Name, address, and telephone number (telephone number optional) of person(s) who will be teaching the child the subjects set forth in paragraph (A) (5) of this rule, if other than the parent;"

At what point you cross the line from homeschool to private school could be up to debate from the superintendent. :001_smile:

Based on the above, I would assume you can, but I'm not certain. I know a few women that are very well versed with the Ohio homeschooling laws if you would like me to ask them about this.

You could probably find out from HSLDA.org. They have a list of the official regulations for each state plus you can post questions on how to inturpret the regulations.

In Michigan, you can not provide more than 49% of the other child's education (i.e. tutoring) and still be protected under the homeschooling umbrella unless you have a legal guardianship of the child. There are special rules for those that hold a teaching certificate (i.e. private school) but I still think that the parent cannot farm out 50% or more of the education and still claim to be homeschooling.

Faith

In Michigan, you can not provide more than 49% of the other child's education (i.e. tutoring) and still be protected under the homeschooling umbrella unless you have a legal guardianship of the child. There are special rules for those that hold a teaching certificate (i.e. private school) but I still think that the parent cannot farm out 50% or more of the education and still claim to be homeschooling.

Faith

I have never heard of that before. I thought Michigan was more strict about this, since the law says taht the teachers must be the parents or legal guardians. Is the percentage from case law, because I can't find it in anything on the MDE site? (Not arguing, just trying to have all the info...)