Menu

quality "scary/ghost" books for 7yo girl?

Gwenny

The Green Knowe series by L. Boston. The first book is The Children of Green Knowe.

John Bellairs (The House with a Clock in Its Walls, etc)

Joan Aiken has some mildly spooky short story collections: A Fit of Shivers, One Foot in the Grave, A Creepy Company, A Bundle of Nerves

The Little White Horse

Well Witched (Verdigris Deep in the UK) is creepy, but firmly middle school, not YA creepy

Coraline and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

not ghost spooky, but maybe The Egypt Game

The Boggart and sequel by Susan Cooper, mora poignant than spooky

some Eva Ibbotson, though not really creepy

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Tom's Midnight Garden

Double Spell (aka Twin Spell) by Janet Lunn

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and sequels

Skellig

Try these collections; I had the "Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful" when I was a kid, and loved the story "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons", which is available as a book all on its own, here. As I recall, these stories ran at grade 3-6 levels.

I loved these now OOP fairytale collections by Ruth Manning Sanders, well written at about a grade 5 level, with wonderful pen and ink line illustrations. The scary ones would include "The Book of Ghosts and Goblins", "The Book of Witches", "Book of Spooks and Spectres", etc.

Not personally familiar with these, but here's a collection of the best scary stories from Cricket magazine: "13 Scary Ghost Stories". Here is completely different collection (not from Cricket) for gr. 3-6.

Happy Haunting! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My daughter just read the Books of Elsewhere and said it was good and spooky. I think she also liked Aunt Maria by Diana Wynne Jones. She loves Eva Ibbotson. She liked The Graveyard book and Coraline, though I find them sort of... dark-spooky, not playful-spooky.

The Green Knowe series by L. Boston. The first book is The Children of Green Knowe. I LOVE these, though I would only call the one called The Enemy At Green Knowe really spooky.

John Bellairs (The House with a Clock in Its Walls, etc) I have read these, and still find them well and truly creepy, even as an adult.

Joan Aiken has some mildly spooky short story collections: A Fit of Shivers, One Foot in the Grave, A Creepy Company, A Bundle of Nerves Joan Aiken is excellent. Your dd might also like her Dido Twite series.

The Little White Horse

Well Witched (Verdigris Deep in the UK) is creepy, but firmly middle school, not YA creepy

Coraline and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

not ghost spooky, but maybe The Egypt Game; There are several other with a more spooky feel, like The Headless Cupid. All good.

The Boggart and sequel by Susan Cooper, more poignant than spooky. Love the Boggart, tho' we didn't find it spooky. The Dark is Rising series is a lot spookier, IMO. :)

some Eva Ibbotson, though not really creepy Good tense fun!

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Tom's Midnight Garden

Double Spell (aka Twin Spell) by Janet Lunn

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and sequels

Skellig

My comments above in bold.

I agree with all those that I am familiar with. :)

Also check out The Box of Delights and The Midnight Folk by John Masefield.

ETA: Just thought of this one as I was driving today, but also check out the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. The first one is called The Amulet of Samarkand.

Edited by Caitilin