Menu

Life of Fred

mjpeter

Both of my older sons are using Saxon math. Older one is doing 7/6, and younger one is doing 6/5. They actually placed higher, but I found a couple of concepts that they would have missed if I skipped them, so they are doing a fairly "easy" year of math. For example, I'm only making them do evens or odds on the mixed practice.

Given the above circumstances, would you supplement? I found LOF online, and I think it looks like a blast. It looks like my older sons would enjoy it. Should I stick to a Saxon routine they like and are comfortable with? (With a "this is too easy" once in a while) or break it up with LOF? How would you implement it? Which book?

Thanks! :001_smile:

We're doing Saxon 6/5 M-R, and then LoF Fridays. Using this schedule we'll finish both in about 36 weeks (maybe give or take a couple, can't remember!). We started with Fractions since it is the first one. My son loves it and said today, "Yeah, I get to do Life of Fred today!"

We're doing Saxon 6/5 M-R, and then LoF Fridays. Using this schedule we'll finish both in about 36 weeks (maybe give or take a couple, can't remember!). We started with Fractions since it is the first one. My son loves it and said today, "Yeah, I get to do Life of Fred today!"

Do you happen to know the best place to get a look at Life of Fred and purchase it ?

I can do a google search, but someone on here may know of someplace with good samples to look at.

We started LoF Fractions 2 weeks ago-kind of a soft starting to school and ds loves it. Well as much as any boy can love math...But when we really start school next week-ish he will be doing Saxon 7/6 4 days and LoF 1 day.

Ds is just struggling with math in general, so I was hoping the LoF would keep things a little fun and not so monotounous with the Saxon.

I think LoF is a good supplement to any program. It is funny and challenging, but not intimidating.

My boys read through the books w/o doing any of the problems first, then we do the book. I have them do the problem on the whiteboard.

We use Singapore, but are at that sweet spot where I can't tell which is the spine and which is the reinforcement, as they are dovetailing quite nicely. :D My kids would not tolerate a day w/o Fred.

My 7th grade dd is doing CLE 700 math this year every day and adds Life of Fred Prealgebra w/ Biology every other day. She, too, cheers on the days she get to do LOF. I thought she'd complain about doing two math lessons every other day -- nope! She sees LOF as the reward for having completed her regular math assignment. BTW, LOF has us rolling on the floor laughing. I never thought I'd say that about ANY math book!

As for purchasing -

In this case I will always buy directly from the writer at his website for Polka Dot Publishing.

His prices are amazingly reasonable and include shipping. He is also a great guy - and will personally answer his phone to help kids with their math problems (or respond by email). So - buy from him to keep him in business :)

My older DS used LoF Fractions and Decimals and Percents last year for Pre-Algebra and is now in advanced algebra at the PS. The class counts for HS credit. The math teacher that tested him for placement in the spring told me that he was very well prepared and had a much better grasp of concepts and mathematical thinking than his students :)

Some students may need a bit more practice (there were times we supplemented with some workbook pages), but it is a very good pre-algebra program.

As for purchasing -

In this case I will always buy directly from the writer at his website for Polka Dot Publishing.

His prices are amazingly reasonable and include shipping. He is also a great guy - and will personally answer his phone to help kids with their math problems (or respond by email). So - buy from him to keep him in business :)

My older DS used LoF Fractions and Decimals and Percents last year for Pre-Algebra and is now in advanced algebra at the PS. The class counts for HS credit. The math teacher that tested him for placement in the spring told me that he was very well prepared and had a much better grasp of concepts and mathematical thinking than his students :)

Some students may need a bit more practice (there were times we supplemented with some workbook pages), but it is a very good pre-algebra program.

:iagree:

I did order from the publisher after I was led there by another homeschooler, and I was astonished at the great deal I got. On Amazon, they are going for up to $100 a piece. Can you believe that? :001_huh:

As for purchasing -

Thanks for the info. I will get on that site today and see about ordering from it.

I felt like mentioning that my 11 yo old math despiser, general eye roller, and the one who likes to put forth the least amount of effort, wrote a great comic yesterday with "Professor Pirky" (a cat) at Kittens University who meets with little Fred to explain his "rubber band theory".

Quite pleased that he loves Fred so much. Early on, I remember him saying (once he learned that Fred's back story was in the calculus book) "I can't wait for calculus!" Whoo hoo!

I felt like mentioning that my 11 yo old math despiser, general eye roller, and the one who likes to put forth the least amount of effort, wrote a great comic yesterday with "Professor Pirky" (a cat) at Kittens University who meets with little Fred to explain his "rubber band theory".

Quite pleased that he loves Fred so much. Early on, I remember him saying (once he learned that Fred's back story was in the calculus book) "I can't wait for calculus!" Whoo hoo!

Hoping we have the same success with my "general eye roller." :001_smile: