Menu

Which do you prefer, FLL or Rod & Staff English?

lovetobehome

We used FLL 1/2, which worked very well as a gentle approach to grammar at such a young age. However, when I ordered FLL3, I also promptly sold it, since it was too bulky and too much of the same. I didn't feel it had enough structure to it for that age.

We loved R&S 3, and have R&S 4 lined up for this year.

I love FLL. I used 1/2 and 3. I was put off by the tediousness of 3 (there is a lot of teacher script), but the content is amazing. There was not much writing for child (difficult for my ds), the optional activities were sooo fun, and they learn so much. I switched to R&S this year for grade 4 because I need my ds to be more independent. It appears that all of the concepts covered in R&S 4 he has already had a lot of practice with in FLL 3. I'm sticking with it because I need to teach him to work independently, but I really miss FLL.

OK, I'm going to be in the minority, but I like FLL! :001_smile: My 7 year old dd did FLL 1/2 last year and I couldn't believe how much she learned. Plus it was pretty painless. It didn't take long each day and she didn't mind doing it. We are using FLL 3 this year and so far it is being pretty easy since she learned everything so well last year, but I don't mind that. I can see that it will soon pick up the pace and she is now learning diagramming. If the teachers manual says to repeat the definition of a noun 3 times and she already knows it WELL, we laugh and say it once in a funny voice or something. I haven't used R&S, but we love FLL. She loves the poems and everything. I will just have to figure out what to use after FLL 4! ;)

My 9yo son wanted to do Easy Grammar for 4th grade this year and he hadn't used FLL so I let him. I know that it doesn't have diagramming though. I guess that I will see how it goes for him this year. My daughter will definitely be using FLL 4 next year though.

Angela

I prefer FLL hands down. And I used R&S 3-10 with my older kids before FLL was published. I was happy with R&S, but my dc who have used FLL have retained a lot more and we enjoy the lessons more. I think FLL lays a better foundation. 10yod who used FLL 1-4 is using R&S 5 this year and came to it so much more prepared than my older dc. Because of this, she is able to do it independently whereas my older dc who had done R&S 3-4 were still needing some hand holding in R&S 5.

The poetry in FLL is much better, too, but that isn't a make it or break it issue with me.

I still use R&S 5-10, but for grades 1-4 I absolutely prefer FLL.

I prefer FLL. 3 and 4 weren't available for my oldest so he used Rod and Staff. But when child #2 reached 3rd grade I switched to FLL.

I think it's very thorough and at times had material that was in a higher level in R & S. However, the diagramming is very simple, most have the frame already drawn - diagramming was more difficult in R&S.

Mostly I liked the one-on-one time with my child, the poetry memorization, having dictation added in occasionally and not having to stress my child with grammar exercises to write out!