Menu

Do these garden crops need to be transplanted or grown from seeds?

Me....the person with the black thumb....is going to plant a raised bed garden. I want to plant the following but know nothing (absolutely NOTHING) about gardening....so forgive me for any stupid questions that may follow.

Do these do well being planted from seeds? Or would they need to be transplanted (which is too late to begin)?

broccolli

bush beans

carrots

lettuce

strawberries

tomatoes

That's all I'll start with for my first time.

Also....do I have to buy organic seeds in order for my veggies/fruits to be organic? Or can I just get any ol' seeds?

Me....the person with the black thumb....is going to plant a raised bed garden. I want to plant the following but know nothing (absolutely NOTHING) about gardening....so forgive me for any stupid questions that may follow.

Do these do well being planted from seeds? Or would they need to be transplanted (which is too late to begin)?

broccolli - transplant

bush beans - ??

carrots - from seed (they do not transplant well)

lettuce - I've had success both ways - seed & transplant

strawberries - get plants

tomatoes - either. I usually transplant.

This was my second year with a raised bed garden, and it is FUN! Don't worry if you kill stuff - you can just plant something new there. I didn't notice your location, but sugar snap peas are also a really fun plant to grow. They prefer cooler weather.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

broccolli

bush beans

carrots

lettuce

strawberries

tomatoes

Also....do I have to buy organic seeds in order for my veggies/fruits to be organic? Or can I just get any ol' seeds?

I wondered the same thing about organic seeds so I'm :bigear: about that. I do know that some big companies engineer their seeds and genetically modify certain crops so I want no part of that. I did buy all organic seeds because I felt good about supporting the companies.

I also grow everything from seed except strawberries.

I do have to ask when you're starting the garden and where you live. In most places, now would be great to start some fall crops but you'll want to wait on your summer crops until next year. You can do your own seedlings indoors weeks before your final frost or you can buy seedlings at the point you're ready to plant them.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

It's time you were introduced to your state's agricultural extension office. Very helpful info and people to be found here. :001_smile:

Scroll down to table 3 for the best info for your location. We loved our Square Foot Gardening this year, although next year I will plan for a few things that should have been obvious to me this year, such as: (a) shade exists; plant accordingly! and (b) dear heavens plants with vines get ENORMOUS; plant accordingly!

Good luck!

:D

:iagree:

First step, see what is best for your gardening zone (does broccoli grow here?). Learn from your local experts.

Then, you can get to the more specific questions (How do I deal with these little worms all over my broccoli leaves??) that people from all over the country/world can answer :001_smile:

broccolli

bush beans

carrots

lettuce

strawberries

tomatoes

In general:

Broccoli is a cool weather crop. You can plant the seeds directly into beds or start plants inside 6 weeks before you get them used to the outdoors (called hardening off), then transplant the seedlings about 1 1/2 feet apart into your beds. I recommend transplanting. You can grow other stuff in your beds while the broc is inside, plus the insects can't get to the small, tender seedlings.

Bush beans are a warm weather crop. They are killed by any frost. You will want to plant these directly outside into the ground, 4-6" apart.

Carrots can be either cool or warm weather crop, depending on the variety. It is easier to start them when it's cool, but as long as you keep them watered daily (or 2-4x daily in very hot weather), you can start them in hot weather. Plant the seeds directly into the ground about 1" apart. When they are about 2" high, make sure they are thinned to be about 2" apart. Then pull up every one as they get big enough to eat - and eat them. You plant thickly, then thin because carrots are a bit finicky and slow to start, so if you plant extra you will be sure to get enough.

Lettuce usually likes cool weather. The bugs don't get it as much as broccoli. You can start it inside or out. When you start it outside, put a little (5-7 seeds) pinch of seeds into a small hole. Barely cover the seeds, because it likes light to germinate. Plant it about 6-8" apart. You can also transplant it after you start it inside.

Strawberries are perennials. They grow quite well in FL. You plant them about 1 foot apart in raised beds.

Tomatoes are a warm weather crop. They will be killed by frost, too. They are usually started inside, about 6 weeks before you plant it outside. I usually plant my tomatoes 2' apart, but there are other setups. You will need cages for them in a raised bed. Some people train the vining types (they are called indeterminates) on a string tied to a support structure. That is kind of fussy - just get the cages. Look for the amazingly gluttonous green hornworm caterpillars on the plants and stomp them.

I agree with the other posters that you should check with your extension agent for planting times. You could also check for materials online.

Remember: Start small, have your kids help you, and have fun!

GardenMom

I order organic heirloom seeds. You can start strawberries from seed, but I've never done it. Tomatoes transplant well, but beans do better started from seed. Lettuce & broccoli are cool weather veggies (lettuce will bolt early if it's hot, if it grows, and broccoli will taste nasty if it's hot.)

Look for varieties that grow well in your area, and I agree to check with that office about planting times in your area.

We started as raw beginners 2 years ago.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm down here in FL where it's still hot.....so can I grow all of those now? Sadly, I don't know which ones are summer crops, winter crops, etc. See, I told you I know nothing!

I knew nothing, too a few months ago when I started SFG. Go to http://gardenweb.com/

They have SO MANY FORUMS THERE!!! I havn't even BEEN to all of the ones I am interested in! You can go to Florida-specific forums, organic, sustainable. I like the frugal ones as I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. I LOVE garden web!! I've learned so much from it! My youngest likes to plant flowers and we are planning a cutting flower garden for next spring, so I looked that up on garden web and found out which flowers are good for cutting gardens FOR MY AREA. I put that in caps b/c I am not interested in raising hothouse orchids or anything else that is fussy and time-consuming. I want easy and native!

Florida is such a different climate/growing conditions that most the rest of the country. I would encourage you to find a book/pamphlet/website specifically about growing veggies in Florida.

broccolli - direct seed or transplant

bush beans - direct seed

carrots - direct seed

lettuce - direct seed or transplant

strawberries - buy plants

tomatoes - direct seed or transplant