Menu

First timer who needs input...help!

We are new to homeschooling. In fact, its our second day. Now, I realize that I should probably just give it more time but, I'd like to hear that from someone who knows more than a first timer.

A little background on us: we just moved to a new area, we don't know anyone yet, and we don't know anyone who homeschools. Furthermore, our families think we are off our rockers to be doing this but, here we are. BTW, we are able to homeschool because of the move so that has been a great blessing.

I have read the WTM and love the idea of it but, I chickened out and bought curriculum that would cover everything (I think:confused:). The problem is that we don't love it, in fact we don't even like it. I was dreaming of sitting around reading with my children and exploring "stuff". Yet we spend our day fighting to finish the worksheets and fighting with each other. My boys are used to ps so I thought that this would ease them into the reading and writing involved once we got to a more WTM approach (while making sure I didn't completely fail in my "teaching"). Along with the curriculum listed below we are also using a vocabulary workbook and a geography workbook that I can't remember the names of! It's not working...so what do I do?? Can I actually ditch this method so early and try it another way or do I just keep fighting and praying that it is just a phase??

As a side note: I am a ps graduate so excuse my horrific composition! :001_huh:

I have family that have been active in homeschooling near Elizabeth City for many years. You can PM me if you are interested in more information.

One thing that I have read many times on this form is that for every year your child has been in PS you will need that many months to decompress them. Do educational things that are fun and don't spend much time doing formal education.

I am sure there are others who can chime in on this.

Don't give up and don't get discouraged.

I also agree with needing to deschool your children. At this point, you all may need to get used to just being together more often than before, especially at this time when the usual routine would have been to attend school. Your kids may be feeling some unsaid anxiety that they are no longer doing the norm. Or, maybe they are bucking you because you are trying to do something more "schoolish". Remember, homeschooling does not have to be (and it works better when it's not) school at home.

I would stop doing the curriculum you have, but do not get rid of it. Do fun stuff, like the reading together, field trips (explore your new area), search out local homeschoolers and try to get together with them. Just adjust to your new surroundings first, and then, a couple of months from now or after Christmas, ease your way back into the curriculum. Ask your kids what they are interested in learning about right now, and run wild with their ideas: use the library, do experiments, travel to places that spark their interest if possible. Just BE together, get used to one another, and ENJOY each other. The formal curriculum can come later.

Wishing you the best & welcome to homeschooling!!! :grouphug:

Google for your state homeschooling association. They should be able to put you in touch with a local group or 2. If you are in an urban area, send the kids out to play with the neighbors if possible. If you are religious, check with your religious leader and see if he/she knows anyone in that group of people who homeschools.

Families require boundaries. Search here for posts about family boundaries. Lots of recent threads about that.

If your curriculum is not working for you or your children, it may be time to move on. Do this - start slowly. Tomorrow do reading, writing and math. Take a trip to the library and get books about what ever science (and history) topic interests the kids. Sometimes you can get one book that is interesting and teaches science and history at the same time. Like this one.

If you want to gradually work yourself into TWTM method. Stick with your 3Rs from your boxed curriculum and do TWTM recommendations for science and history.

Good luck

You really do need more time. You all are adjusting to a new life style.

I can't say what will or won't work for you, but here are my thoughts. I would ditch the vocabulary and geography workbooks. You will be surprised at how much vocabulary and geography can be picked up just by reading great literature. Does your 5th grader still need a handwriting curriculum? Or can he/she practice good penmanship on other work (like spelling)? I would also ditch the formal grammar for my 3'rd grader and have him/her give oral narrations after reading. This will help prepare a child for writing. For science and history I completely agree with Parrothead, go to the library and let them pick books that interest them.

When you and your children are more comfortable with home schooling you can slowly add those workbooks back in or you can start working in TWTM methods.

Hang in there! It gets better. :grouphug:

I would stop doing the curriculum you have, but do not get rid of it. Do fun stuff, like the reading together, field trips (explore your new area), search out local homeschoolers and try to get together with them. Just adjust to your new surroundings first, and then, a couple of months from now or after Christmas, ease your way back into the curriculum. :grouphug:

Really?! That long? I'm not sure I can handle the freedom that comes with homeschooling! :D I may just learn to love this yet...I am so afraid I'll miss something and ruin my children's education for life. They attended ps for so many hours a day - weren't they actively learning most of that time? Maybe I am grossly unestimating what actually got done at ps each day...:001_huh: (And I thought picking curriculum was hard!)

Does your 5th grader still need a handwriting curriculum? Or can he/she practice good penmanship on other work (like spelling)?

He was never taught cursive in ps so if he is to learn it, I am the one to teach it.

Thanks for the ideas. Seems like an extensive trip to the non-fiction section of the library is in order.

If you already can't stand it, it's not for you. Find something you can all enjoy! deschool a bit, have fun, live life, explore, do hands on stuff, create, go on field trips, read good books, take a little more time researching a curriculum you might all really LIKE! :)

Also maybe check out meetup.com to see if there are any homeschool groups in your area so you guys can meet some people!

Welcome and good luck with everything!

You don't actually seem that far from WTM rec's.

But I agree--take your time, deschool a bit, go to the library, try to go with the natural flow of your children and yourself instead of getting locked into the minute by minute type of schedule.

Hang in there--the moments of cozy, stereotypical homeschooling are just moments. They will keep you going, but they are not the whole experience. Kinda like raising kids--:001_smile:

Really?! That long? I'm not sure I can handle the freedom that comes with homeschooling! :D I may just learn to love this yet...I am so afraid I'll miss something and ruin my children's education for life. They attended ps for so many hours a day - weren't they actively learning most of that time? Maybe I am grossly unestimating what actually got done at ps each day...:001_huh: (And I thought picking curriculum was hard!)

Think about it this way... If you're embarking on a longterm homeschooling journey with your kids, then you have plenty of time to fill in anything you "miss" during spending a few months together doing more relaxed learning and deschooling a little. Besides, you will be doing perhaps the most important learning - learning to be together, to understand each other, to set up the kind of homeschool and relationships you think are important. IMO, it's better to spend the time up front to do it right. Also, at least for me, if homeschool feels like ps, then why homeschool?

First: Breath

Second: This is a marathon, not a race.

Third: Stick to the basics for awhile: readin', writin' and 'rithmetic If the kids aren't liking their math books just print out some simple sheets from here At first make them easier than you know they can do and then slowly make them harder. For writing just make them copy a quote. It can come from a book they are reading or any other quote you like (I usually use famous American quotes from here)

You just moved and totally changed your lifestyle. You will all need time to adjust. I would ditch the history and science and almost everything till after the holidays. Instead learn about the history of your new home. I'm not sure if you are new to the area or new to the State. Either way do State history for the next several months. Go out and about to see all the historic area of your new home. We did this when we first moved to FL even though I had already been homeschooling for 4 years. I'm really glad I did. It helped make my kids feel like this was their home because they knew so much about it. We might move again in the next year and if we do this is what I will do the first semester we are there.

Get a library card and use it these first few months. Let the kids choose books that interest them. You can request them to get one on Science and one on local history too. Even if your youngest just gets an adult book full of pictures.

If you look you will find other homeschoolers. Really search the net for them. They are out there and frankly, I couldn't homeschool without a strong local support network (I tried it when we first moved to FL and almost gave up homeschooling). Get involved in a co-op if there are any in your area, if not find some homeschool park days (warning: sometimes you have to go to several different groups to find one that really fits your family. Just because you don't like the first homeschooler you meet doesn't mean others that you will like aren't out there). This will help you and your boys feel like you aren't alone.

After Christmas time, ease back into school. You will have kept doing the basics so after the New Year start adding one new subject a week. You'll find the kids will adjust much better. Most homeschoolers school at least a little all year round. Our summers are usually lighter, but we still continue to school. Just because you are starting some of your stuff in Jan instead of now doesn't mean you children will be behind. Remember: marathon, not a race.

Hope this helps

Melissa

Good advice so far and I don't have anything to add to that.

You can do this. You can provide a GREAT education for your child, and it doesn't require spending 22 hours a day doing school. When I was a ps teacher, I often did tutoring through the school for kids who were out for medical reasons. I was given 3 HOURS per WEEK to give them enough information to do that week's worth of work. If 3 hours/week was enough for them to suceed (and all my kids kept up), imagine what you can do with 3 hours a day!

Don't worry so much about what used to happen in ps. You have a whole new, wonderful journey in front of you. Grab some books--interesting ones--from the library and start seeing education as so much more than a workbook.