Menu

Vision Therapy how much homework do they give

ReneeK

We recieved a fully paid scholarship for my daughter, I am so excited. It was something we applied for last March and I thought that we just didn't get it. They called me last week and told me that depending on the first session results ( a session is 27 visits) they may pay for 2 sessions! My daughters eyes are severe and they think she may need 2 full sessions. Each session is around $4,000. Can you believe how expensive it is! We start after Labor Day.

It changes the school schedule alot, I feel a little overwhelmed with trying to add in two preschoolers this year and getting everything done. I think I will just worry about reading, math, phonics, writing and some language arts for the next few months for my daughter while she is in VT. Then see how it goes before I add in anything else. My dd doesn't function well if it gets to late in the day with doing school.

We are already at the hospital on Monday for several hours for therapy. Tuesday and Wedn. are Vision Therapy. To keep the scholarship you have to do the required homework. How much homework is done for VT in a week so I can figure out some sort of schedule? What is the homework that they want you to do at home?

Thanks ladies!

We had about 20-30 minutes of homework each day, but I think I've heard of others who have had an hour of homework (you could break that into two sessions). You're smart to scale back school wise during VT.

The homework depends on what is going on with the child. It's all really difficult to describe. For my sons, there was reading while flipping lenses with two different focal lengths in front of the eyes. Also the same thing, only using prisms. Scanning for letters on a page of writing. Looking at little things that were far away and telling me what they were (colored beads). Computer work with a special program. The main thing was the lens and prism work though.

I'm so happy for you. This is a wonderful opportunity for your daughter.

You're smart to scale back school wise during VT.

That's good to hear coming from someone else. I feel almost guilty doing it. I also know that it would be to much to focus on during this time.

The homework depends on what is going on with the child. It's all really difficult to describe. For my sons, there was reading while flipping lenses with two different focal lengths in front of the eyes. Also the same thing, only using prisms. Scanning for letters on a page of writing. Looking at little things that were far away and telling me what they were (colored beads). Computer work with a special program. The main thing was the lens and prism work though.

Thanks that gives me something to go on.

I'm so happy for you. This is a wonderful opportunity for your daughter.

I am glad for my daughter and hope this helps her, she struggles so much!

I am glad for my daughter and hope this helps her, she struggles so much!

This is a really awesome opportunity for your daughter! She is young, so I wouldn't worry about scaling back on some of your school work. Cognitive & sensory skills training (including vision) IS part of school for young students; when those skills are in place, your daughter will have a stronger foundation for the traditional academics.

Another half an hour a day here. Sometimes we did more, sometimes less. I was also allowed to break it up as needed thru the day. Some ofthe exercises seemed odd, but they all had a purpose and I could always see improvements after doing them. I also did them first before school work because some of the exercises seemed to trigger somethign in my ds's brain. There was much more in the beginning than there was further down the road. We just finished 16 months of once a week VT with my son. It changed his life for the best! Congratualtions on the scholarship!

Be prepared for your dd to be very tired at first. It is a strong mental and physical workout in the beginning. It is amazing how much they are tired from forcing their eyes to do so much work and geting their brains to respond differently. You may need to cut school work to the bare minimum at first. My son would almost need a nap afterwards wghen he first began.

Be prepared for your dd to be very tired at first. It is a strong mental and physical workout in the beginning. It is amazing how much they are tired from forcing their eyes to do so much work and geting their brains to respond differently. You may need to cut school work to the bare minimum at first.

:iagree: From your siggy I see your children are all still very young, and it will not compromise your dd's education in any way to cut things down to a minimum while she is working her eyes muscles and brain so hard. She may have headaches or muscle strain around her eyes and not want to look and focus at much else outside of the homework, which is really important for progress to occur and lock in. You can do a lot of schoolish stuff orally, through read-alouds or audiobooks, and just let the rest go for a couple of months. There's no doubt that intensive VT is time-consuming and exhausting for everybody. Let that be your focus. And hippy hooray about the scholarship! That is so terrific.

It changes the school schedule alot, I feel a little overwhelmed with trying to add in two preschoolers this year and getting everything done. I think I will just worry about reading, math, phonics, writing and some language arts for the next few months for my daughter while she is in VT. Then see how it goes before I add in anything else. My dd doesn't function well if it gets to late in the day with doing school.

Thanks ladies!

How are all of those subjects going with your daughter?? Basically before we started vision therapy I was banging my head against the wall trying to do school with my daughter. She just couldn't do it and she and I would get frustrated. So this is what I did for my school schedule while we were doing vision therapy:

Phonics- I dropped everything but Phonic pathways as that helped her vision as well. I just did a page a day.

Reading- At first she struggled over even Bob books and so I stopped having her read and just read to her a lot. Once vision therapy had progressed, I had her do some reading. But when vision therapy added Dynamic Reader that was it. she was supposed to do 3 stories in half an hour, but it took her 30 minutes to do just one story so they changed the program and she gradually worked up. It was really hard. Once she could sort of read, I set the timer for 10 minutes every day and had her rread something silently. I worked up to 30 minutes eventually but it took a long time. Her eyes would get so tired.

Writing- She wrote in her vision therapy journal. Basically, she told me what she wanted to say. I wrote it on a piece of paper and she copied it in her journal.

Computer- we had some vision therapy computer games every day

Vision therapy- sometimes I had exercises to do 3 to 4 times a week that were with a kit they sent home

Math- We did a couple of workbook pages. This was her favorie subject during this time.

Science and History- were hit and miss and mostly hands on or my reading a book to her if it got done.

That is all I did. Boy, am I glad I did it that way. Basically last year ( her 2nd grade year) my goal was for her to enjoy reading. We had started vision therapy in January of her 1st grade year and continued until the spring of her 2nd grade year. She went from laboriously sounding out every word, guessing etc to reading Magic Tree House books by the end of 2nd grade. We just started third grade and before we started I had my mil give her a reading test she brought home from her school ( She taught 3rd grade for over 30 years!!!) My daughter now reads on a 5th grade level according to the test and loves, loves, loves it.

So at 7, just take it easy and do the basics, but stress, stress, stress, stress the vision therapy. It is so worth it.

I remember the homework being 20-30 min a day too, but it's been a while and don't remember the details. I do remember dd had to work through a maze-like thing with just her eyes. It looked like 4 wiggly lines scrambled together and she had to follow one of the four from one side of the page to the other. There was other stuff, but she was about 10 at the time and was able to do it independently. The time consuming part was driving to the therapy location twice a week and waiting for her to finish. We were fortunate that her issues weren't too severe and she finished in about 10 weeks. Good luck!

Guest ricalyn03

I think the homework in Vision Therapy is depends on the situation of your children. Situation, it means on the health situation of your child. But I think it is more on vision. Good luck you your homework!

We usually had 5-6 exercises, each of which was to be done 4x/week. If we spread those 4 times out over all 6 days (so that we only did a selection of exercises each day), it took about 20-25 minutes/day. If we did all 5-6 exercises in a single day, then it usually took us about 30 minutes.

We nearly always ended up spreading the exercises out. I let my dd choose one exercise to skip each day, but she could only skip an exercise on one day. That spread things out over 5 days. When I tried to spread things out over 6 days we always ended up forgetting about it on Sunday.

Sorry Ladies it took me so long to get back here. Thank you for all your wonderful information and advice.

I figured with my kids age it wouldn't hurt to do a major change on my plans this year. It also seems like a good time to slow down and work with her on reading and writing since it is such a struggle for her in these two areas. Hopefully the VT will help her improve in these areas. I will continue to do the planned math, Language Arts and phonics.

I can't believe I am doing this but I am taking my whole Sonlight 2 curriculum and shelving it for the whole year. I will just add in some read out louds from my other 100's of books we already have. Work on some lapbooks- when I can tell how much this is effecting her. Then I can add in other books to read for history and science. She has a lot of medical issues and it might overwhelm her with the added therapy and me starting pre-k with the other two kids. Change is hard for her at times.

We start the Vision Therapy this week. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.

We recieved a fully paid scholarship for my daughter, I am so excited. It was something we applied for last March and I thought that we just didn't get it. They called me last week and told me that depending on the first session results ( a session is 27 visits) they may pay for 2 sessions! My daughters eyes are severe and they think she may need 2 full sessions. Each session is around $4,000. Can you believe how expensive it is! We start after Labor Day.

We are already at the hospital on Monday for several hours for therapy. Tuesday and Wedn. are Vision Therapy. To keep the scholarship you have to do the required homework. How much homework is done for VT in a week so I can figure out some sort of schedule? What is the homework that they want you to do at home?

Thanks ladies!

1 hour daily of home exercises (6-7). The exercises require Mom or Dad too.