Menu

Readable overview/spine for world history? Frustrated!

Can anyone recommend a "readable" history spine that would cover world history, particularly for the past few hundred years of world history?

We've been using an AP world history text and are around the halfway point (which is around the year 1600/1700, I believe). I do like some things about it -- it actually deals with WORLD history and not just European history. But now that I know they are not going to take the AP world history test, I don't feel as tied to this text. I would like to bring in supplemental reading: Hiroshima, The Mainspring of Human Progress, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. -- but don't necessarily feel like we'll have TIME to do that if we stick with this text.

<sigh> I don't know what to do. I don't know how to use the textbook in a more limited way, and still have it be meaningful. I don't know if a more "readable" history exists. I even pulled Van Loon's "The Story of Mankind" off the shelf tonight to see if that could suffice.

**This is their last pass at world history while in high school, and I don't feel like they have a very good grasp of world history at all. ** :confused:

Thanks for any advice or encouragement you can offer....

I don't know how to use the textbook in a more limited way, and still have it be meaningful...

(whispering) We used SWB's "Story of the World" vol. 4 for context while doing modern history with grades 9 and 10.

Seriously!

SWB makes the connections between all the events and "major players" of the 1800s and leading up to WW1 so easy to "get" and remember -- (DSs still remember "the sick old man" of Turkey failing in power and losing its hold over the small, subjugated SE European nations just prior to WW1!!). And yes, we also read through parts of Spielvogel's Human Odyssey (high school level) textbook. But SotW vol. 4 was what "stuck".

For more visual "punch" to make it memorable, we also:

- watched movies set in the places and times

- read the major literature such as All Quiet on the Western Front, et.al

- read through Usborne's Twentieth Century (Hopkinson), and Our Century in Pictures for Young People

BEST of luck finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

You might want to look at K12's Human Odyssey (not to be confused with the Spielvogel of the same name). It's for 7-9th grade, but it's very readable - I'm using it as a read-aloud (I've got a younger kid I want to include), and then we add lots of supplemental reading. Vol. 2 is 1400-1918, and Vol. 3 is 1918-present.

:iagree: I was going to suggest the K12 books as well. They're very engaging and readable and you would only need to do about 1/2 of volume 2, plus volume 3. Volume 3 (20th C) is fairly short but provides a really good overview and it's my favorite of the 3 volumes.

Jackie

(whispering) We used SWB's "Story of the World" vol. 4 for context while doing modern history with grades 9 and 10.

Seriously!

SWB makes the connections between all the events and "major players" of the 1800s and leading up to WW1 so easy to "get" and remember -- (DSs still remember "the sick old man" of Turkey failing in power and losing its hold over the small, subjugated SE European nations just prior to WW1!!). And yes, we also read through parts of Spielvogel's Human Odyssey (high school level) textbook. But SotW vol. 4 was what "stuck".

For more visual "punch" to make it memorable, we also:

- watched movies set in the places and times

- read the major literature such as All Quiet on the Western Front, et.al

- read through Usborne's Twentieth Century (Hopkinson), and Our Century in Pictures for Young People

BEST of luck finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori,

Oh woman of wisdom, does this mean I could use SOTW to provide context without bulk for my senior who has had minimal ancient history?

Hmm... thank you for the interesting ideas. A couple of questions for you ladies:

- Can you compare/contrast SOTW with the K12 Human Odyssey? I'm a little concerned about not using something more challenging... but then I guess that's where the supplemental lit comes in.

- Any opinions on Van Loon's Story of Mankind? What about compared to the above two titles? (Of course, his ends around WWI, I think.)

- Where can you buy or find samples of the K12 book? I looked on Amazon and there were high-priced used copies.

Thanks! Others welcome to join in the discussion! :)

- Can you compare/contrast SOTW with the K12 Human Odyssey? I'm a little concerned about not using something more challenging... but then I guess that's where the supplemental lit comes in.

K12 is defintiely written at a higher level than SOTW, but is still very readable. SOTW is aimed at 1-5th grade, K12HO is aimed at 6-9th.

- Any opinions on Van Loon's Story of Mankind? What about compared to the above two titles? (Of course, his ends around WWI, I think.)

I've never seen it so I could be way off base, but I thought that was also usually used for elementary?

- Where can you buy or find samples of the K12 book? I looked on Amazon and there were high-priced used copies.

I got mine very inexpensively, used and in like-new condition, but that was before the WTM boards had heard of them... they've become more scarce, and by corrollary, more pricey. Some of those used editions are more than new! You used to be able to buy the books from K12 without taking the course, not sure if you still can.

Hmmm... well, JMO but I think you can really only get away with SOTW vol. 4 this way. I think vol. 1 is written at such a young level and is SO story-based, that it actually detracts from making connections...

What about the Short History of Western Civilization that Regentrude suggests?

Or Ways of the World: Brief Global History?

Complete Idiot's Guide to World History or World History for Dummies?

Cartoon History of the Universe?

Just some ideas... BEST of luck finding what makes those connections! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Hmm... thank you for the interesting ideas. A couple of questions for you ladies:

Thanks! Others welcome to join in the discussion! :)

You can read Van Loon's book at Project Gutenberg. Also, if you are looking at K12, you will want to look at the second volume if you are moving on from the 1600s.

We found the Short History of Western Civilization by Harrison (the one SWB recommends in WTM) very readable. My DD insisted that I buy her her own copy (we had it from the library) because it is so well written.

However, we are still in Greece... not yet in the 20th century

Thank you for pointing this resource out.

Hmmm... well, JMO but I think you can really only get away with SOTW vol. 4 this way. I think vol. 1 is written at such a young level and is SO story-based, that it actually detracts from making connections...

What about the Short History of Western Civilization that Regentrude suggests?

Or Ways of the World: Brief Global History?

Complete Idiot's Guide to World History or World History for Dummies?

Cartoon History of the Universe?

Just some ideas... BEST of luck finding what makes those connections! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori

Lori, it's good to "see" you again. Thank you for the additional resources. I always have to remind myself that I am looking for "world" vs. "western civ." history.

Lori,

Oh woman of wisdom, does this mean I could use SOTW to provide context without bulk for my senior who has had minimal ancient history?

Lisa, what about using the K12 volume 1 with her — I think you used that with Swimmer Dude, didn't you? It's a quick read, especially if you either skip or skim Mesopotamia & Egypt and focus on Greece, Rome, India, & China. It seems like it would be ideal for "context readings" since it's more of a "cultural history" than a political history, especially Part 2 (What Were They Thinking).

Jackie