Menu

Help for a Teen with bad handwriting

Guest TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom

I have tried everything from redoing a handwriting curriculum to rewriting everything that come across my desk. He can write neat if he writes extremely slow focusing on each letter and taking hours to write but to just write normal his work is unreadable. He does try, his work use to be messy but now it is neat. By this I mean if you looked at his papers before the words would be different sizes and slant...just looking at the page your eyes would cross even before you tried to read it. Now his papers show up with all the same size writing and the letters are slanted the same. At first glance you think wow, how nice and neat, but try to read a word and your stuck playing guess what is written.

I am thinking a fountain pen might make him write neater. Those things are very picky as to how you angle the nib or pressure. Has anyone used a fountain pen to help handwriting?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

You just described my handwriting and I have dysgraphia...

Practice can help to a point-- I was called 'lazy' and 'careless' and it was embarrassing... I REALLY tried--but it would take literally HOURS to copy one paragraph legibly... As an adult I have to DRAW out every letter I write--not pretty--but you can read it. I can write better on chalk/white boards (different type of hand/eye movement). If I need to write someone a note it takes an average of 3 copies to get one that will 'work'--but again I'm usually embarrassed...my mother and sister had/have such beautiful handwriting!

Most college papers are typed--so make sure your son has good typing skills!

As far as subjects like Math go, if legibility is a problem, have him work his problems out on UNLINED paper--colored scrap paper is great for this (junk mail flyers...) Using a colored pencil can also make a HUGE difference. Once he has worked the problem correctly he can copy it onto the lined paper--or have someone else copy it for him (but keep his 'scrap' work).

Basically, your son might not benefit from additional handwriting programs--dysgraphia is a REAL disability.

Over here, most school work is done with fountain pens. I used to think it would help because my children had nice writing. But as soon as they had to write more and faster, it went bad. And all doctors here use fountain pens and their handwriting is illegible (usually). So I don't think they are really the answer.

If dysgraphia is the problem, then research for tricks.

I did find that the tips in Ruth Beechicks book How to Teach Your Child Successfully for grades 4-8 (not sure if the name is exactly correct) to have some useful ideas. They are only a few pages of the book, so best to borrow if you don't have it. Basically she says to pick out the letters that are the most problematic and start with them. I'll have to get out the book.

I will say that my eldest who has ADD had hours and hours of practice and his handwriting is still bad.

I have heard that if you use cursive handwriting for some of the tests, is it SAT or AP, you get an extra point. Not sure where I heard that on this board. But there are essays on all the AP tests and for the SAT, etc where you do need to know how to write fast and legibly.

Over here, almost all non math tests have essay questions through high school, so kids do have to write well here.

HTH,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

While typing everything is fine for me and probably will be in college, someone is going to have to read my son's ACT or SAT essay. And right now, I don't anyone could or would be willing to struggle through it.

My 14yo is working through Fix It Write for the next few weeks. We changed to fountain pens but I don't think that made much difference. I am emphasizing care with letter formation and size. I hope this works.

Good luck. Ruth in NC

Guest TheBugsMom

Thanks All for the ideas and the suggestion to look in to Dysgraphia. I am going to check this out.

I did think to let him type everything but that just helps me...there will be times in his life he will have to write something for some reason and he won't have a computer with him to do this on. He does need to learn to write and write so others can read it.

Math work we have solved by using graph paper...one digit for each square and no numbers touch any lines. This has helped.

I was really hoping the fountain pen idea would have worked. Sigh.

My son is similar. It takes him a long time to turn in a neatly readable paper. I do make him do it every now and then for practice. He likes writing with a regular pen. He really likes the Pilot Frixion Ball with a pen eraser. He even uses it for math. I bought them because they were on sale and he loves it. He says it helps him write better.? I think it actually does help him somehow, even if it's in his head. But, I do think he doesn't feel like he has to grip so hard so it is smoother and he can write easier.

Typing is a big help for his writing. I agree with other posters to make sure he can type well. It will make his life easier in the long run.

For the writing on tests (SAT, PSAT) you can have him tested and he may qualify for extra time, typing his papers, etc. I'm not sure what it is called. Maybe someone here knows. But if you have learning challenges and it can be documented there are special arrangements that are made.

Blessings~

HTH

Nicole