Menu

I am going to be a Nana

I'm still trying to process this, but next April I am going to be a Nana.

I am really happy for my step son and his wife, but the thought of being a Nan at the age of 33 is odd.

Is anyone else here a young Grandma?

Just think, you may live to see Great, Great-Grandchildren. Or does that not make you feel any better?? :tongue_smilie:

Congratulations!

No, but I am 33! : ) My kidos are 9,6, and 3 so I have a while before grandparenthood but I hear it's wonderful! Congratulations!

Lindsey:001_smile:

LOL. You are a young grandma. I'm going to be a grandma soon for the first time and people were consoling me with "but your a YOUNG grandma" (I'm 43.) My response was always "the term young grandma is an oxymoron" but in your case it definitely is not. Congratulations. I think it's going to be fun. Still...the first thing I did when I found out I was going to be a grandma was buy the book How Not to Look Old, which is the type of book I never would have seen myself owning. I'm doing better now and am so looking forward to being a grandma.

My grandparents were young grandparents--somewhere in their 30s--and they were such a wonderful part of my life and my cousins' lives. They were at every school event, including the first day of school. We went on multi-generational vacations. They had the time and energy to be incredibly involved. They're slowing down now, but even so are coming to visit me next week and play with my toddler while I do school. It's wonderful!

I wish I'd had my first younger so I'd have a better shot at being a young grandmother. :)

I'm still trying to process this, but next April I am going to be a Nana.

I am really happy for my step son and his wife, but the thought of being a Nan at the age of 33 is odd.

Is anyone else here a young Grandma?

First off, congrats!

Secondly, being a young grandma is something that is likely in my future. I'm 32, and as my siggy says, I have a 16 year old stepdaughter. Even if she were to wait 10 more years to have kids, I'd still only be 42. To me, that's young to be a grandma. My dh's mother, who passed away a few months ago, was a nana at 41. My dh was just 17 when his daughter was born.

Either way, young or old, I suspect grandkids are a blast!

I was a "little" older than you, 40 when my first grandson was born. BUT, I had 13 month old twins so it felt like since I was still bearing children my children shouldn't be:) I really didn't feel "ready" to be "mimi" but when that baby came I just fell in love all over again. Congratulations!

My stepmother became a grandma when she was about 34. My daughter was born 10 weeks after her first (and only) child. So she basically had to be a first time mother and first time grandmother the same year! :tongue_smilie:

By the way, she's done an awesome job from the beginning. My dh's mother on the other hand told us she wasn't ready to be a grandmother. We have very little contact with her to this day.

LOL. You are a young grandma. I'm going to be a grandma soon for the first time and people were consoling me with "but your a YOUNG grandma" (I'm 43.) My response was always "the term young grandma is an oxymoron" but in your case it definitely is not. Congratulations. I think it's going to be fun. Still...the first thing I did when I found out I was going to be a grandma was buy the book How Not to Look Old, which is the type of book I never would have seen myself owning. I'm doing better now and am so looking forward to being a grandma.

Hey Luanne! Congrats to you too! Somehow I missed that your beautiful daughter was married. When did that happen?

Barb

Hey Luanne! Congrats to you too! Somehow I missed that your beautiful daughter was married. When did that happen?

Barb

She was married to her childhood sweetheart Jan. 2, which is my and dh's anniversary. Just about the last thing she said to us before the wedding was, "We're not going to do what you and Dad did. We're going to wait a few years." My response was, "Good luck with that." Now here we are looking forward to the birth of this honeymoon baby. (Oh and BTW, dh and I were married 5 months before we got pregnant with her. We were going to wait 4 years. :lol:)

DS is now engaged to one of DD's bridesmaids whom he met at her wedding. Life is good.

Edited by Luann in ID

She was married to her childhood sweetheart Jan. 2, which is my and dh's anniversary. Just about the last thing she said to us before the wedding was, "We're not going to do what you and Dad did. We're going to wait a few years." My response was, "Good luck with that." Now here we are looking forward to the birth of this honeymoon baby. (Oh and BTW, dh and I were married 5 months before we got pregnant with her. We were going to wait 4 years. :lol:)

DS is now engaged to one of DD's bridesmaids whom he met at her wedding. Life is good.

Oh, what a sweet story. I was a honeymoon baby too, LOL.

Barb

My grandmother was 38 when I was born. She was a fabulous grandmother because she had so much energy!

Mine too. When we went out everyone thought she was my mom. We were close enough that she was like a second mom. She died suddenly last October. I feel so blessed as to have had her for 40 years. I ]miss her so much.

Barb