Menu

How much should I ask for this antique bench?

My mom bought this about 40 years ago. I don't know how much she paid or anything else about it. It didn't have any fabric, so dh and I upholstered it. It's an amateurish job.

I've never really liked it and don't have a place for it, so plan to post it on Craig's list. I have no idea what it is or what it's worth. Anyone have any ideas? post-2230-13535083839242_thumb.jpg

I think I need to read the camera instruction manual. :glare:

post-2230-13535083838858_thumb.jpg

Lovely! It looks like my dds white metal bed - Jenny Lind style posts. If you lived here I would work out some sort of payment plan...

A friend told me once that to find the real value of something you call someone who buys furniture. They will most likely offer you 25%-50% of the real selling value. You turn them down then make an ad with the new informed price. I have never tried it...

It's very interesting. I agree with Dobela. Best to ask 2-3 antiques dealers what they would pay for it. Of course, they will mark it up as she says, but you also can't compare what a merchant can get in the store with what you can get direct; they will nearly always be able to get more. Part is due to people's expectations; part is due to the simple fact that people come in their stores to browse and can interact directly with the object, making it more likely that they'll buy. But get a couple quotes first.

• 2 months later...
It's very interesting. I agree with Dobela. Best to ask 2-3 antiques dealers what they would pay for it.

I'm finally getting around to taking care of this. :blushing:

How would you approach the antiques dealers? I've never done this before. Should I just walk into their store with a picture, or call them and describe it? Or something else? Thanks.

Does it have any kind of manufacture markings that you can use to help identify it?

If so I would start searching around on the internets. Sometimes people have other matching pieces and need to complete their set. It would be a shame to let it go too cheaply!

Good luck! It sure is pretty!!

Does it have any kind of manufacture markings that you can use to help identify it?

If so I would start searching around on the internets. Sometimes people have other matching pieces and need to complete their set. It would be a shame to let it go too cheaply!

Good luck! It sure is pretty!!

I couldn't find any markings. I've searched online and can't find anything similar. I did find a site that offered estimates for $9.95 so I think I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Don't sell it yet. Take it to an estates dealer-every town has one most of the time, and ask them what they think how much it is-then don't let them buy it from you yet. Then, take it to an antiques dealer and see if you can sell it on consignment for full price. If you can't go back and sell it to the estate dealer.

Looks to be a lovely old spool bench to me and a fine one at that. Here is a picture and simply put it is not as pretty as yours.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2590&aid=22853&lid=6363142

In any event you might want to hang onto it for one of the children to repose upon in their first apartment etc. Mom did that and let me tell you we were stylin' with our art deco era wardrobes etc I still use all the pieces she hung on to . To research prices just google spool bench.