Menu

Preschool

ArwenA

My DH thinks that I should get a curriculum for DD3. Right now we do lots of reading, ETC B and she will sometimes join in for other subjects. IMO this is enough but DH deserves to have input in his children's education so I'm checking out what preschool curricula there are. I know that many of you are very relaxed for pre but if you do use a curriculum could you please tell me.

I am looking for something that is Christian and follows a somewhat classical approach.

I really like Winter Promise's preschool curriculum. There are four theme's for the year: the farm, the pond, the zoo, and the garden. Most of the crafts and projects revolve around them. It's not too academic, which is what I was looking for. They do cover letters and numbers. I like it because it has interesting projects that I don't have to come up with on the fly when we have time together. Schooling two older children and having a younger guy too, I want to spend my time with him, with him and not running around looking for supplies and ideas. Does that make sense? We do things like sorting socks to find the matches. Putting the spice jars in order from biggest to smallest. Best of all, it only cost $99. That includes the 6 books that it schedules projects from. I think that it may have gone up a bit, though.

--Dawn

We did a Letter of the Week study (we're just finishing, on XYX week now). There is the website http://www.letteroftheweek.com which has lots of ideas. I didn't use it that much. What I did was just use my library each week to search for books that would focus on that letter (this week we have a lot of zoo books, zebra books, boX books, foX books, etc). Then we would just spend most of our time reading those books and I kept a list on the wall of words as we came on them. Some weeks when I was more motivated we did "activities" about that letter. And during that week I would always try to point out things we were doing or things that started with the letter. (Last week for W week we talked about Walking and Weather just on our normal walk around the neighborhood.) This is also a cheap way to do it....I don't think I spent anything and it really only took about 20 minutes each week to look up the books online before our library visit.

Anyway, it was a pretty laid back way to do things. But it helped me structure things a bit and might also satisfy the "curriculum" need.

I'm getting ready to start doing FIAR which I like for this age for the same reason...it's mostly about reading and I think I'll be able to use it how I want.

Also, if your daughter likes workbooks you could try the Singapore EarlyBird series. We just started doing those and my son loves them but he has always loved workbook kind of things.

Hi Arwen,

My dh wanted a 'curriculum' too so I choose Horizons Preschool,

Based on the perfect source — the Bible, Horizons Preschool outlines lessons based on a biblical concept. Activities and academic subjects such as
social studies, language arts, math, phonics, and science, flow from each biblical theme.
Students will grow with these enduring lessons packed with
arts and crafts, music, story times, field trips, and other exciting learning activities.
Horizons Preschool teaches students the importance of God, who is the beginning of all things.

With the flexibility of Horizons Preschool, you can teach lessons on any days you choose (3 day or 5 day schedule), and five lessons are provided per week. Each lesson is formulated to flow smoothly and discusses the same subject throughout. This complete curriculum contains 180 lessons within two Student Books, two Teacher's Guides, a Sing Along Music CD, and a Resource Packet, which contains basic flashcards and other manipulatives. A recommended Multimedia Set (NOT NEEDED!), designed to perfectly complement the curriculum, is also available.

Scope and Sequence- to show all that it covers

Inside Views of Student Book 1

Inside Views of Teacher Book 1

You can see inside most of the books at ChristianBook.com, just search for Horizons Preschool. The Sing Along CD has Bible songs mostly. DiscountChristian.com and RainbowResource.com have the best price ($96). My favorite feature is that there is NO booklist to follow, we can read whatever books we want and I appreciate that.

Another preschool item we were looking at was Sing, Spell, Read & Write's Preschool but Horizons is more complete.

Hope this helps

Since your dd is already doing ETC B, I would only add in a math workbook and some fun activities. Most PK stuff will be less academic than the ETC. My kids have both liked and learned a lot from Singapore Earlybird Math, but if you'd prefer games to worksheets, RightStart A would also be a good choice. If you'd like to work on motor skills, especially if you're doing ETC orally, check out the Kumon workbooks. They're great for cutting, pasting, and coloring. The R&S ABC workbooks are also a nice, well-rounded PK curriculum for very little $$ or planning time. You'll want to get workbook B (Bible Stories to Color) and the go-along Bible storybook.

Hi Arwen,

I just started this January with my son. I didn't purchase a complete curriculum though. I took the letter of the week idea and just pull together on my own. Here's an example of our week:

Letter C: cows and clowns

Color and paste page on letter from SSRW Kinder (I had this leftover but any store bought workbook would do)

Read books on clowns and cows this week. Painted our faces and let kids make up a clown skit which I video taped. Complete Kumon cutting and tracing pages for fine motor skills. Play ABC bingo with capital and lowercase letters.

He also uses the number chart to count to around 25 and he sits in on a lot of math and history with older sister. For Bible you could read from a childrens Bible story book. I don't try to link this to the letter of the week..to complicated for me right now. He is having so much fun and is learning! his letter sounds. I believe he will be ready for three letter words next year. I am thinking about doing FIAR with him next year along with some phonics and math games I have from dd's preschool. I am also going to subscribe to Preschool Disney.. he lolves the computer and if he is learning I will be ok with it..plus it will give me 2o minutes or so to teach the nitty gritty math to my dd. Have fun with it and keep it simple I'd say at 3.

Sheryl