Menu

Where do your little ones sit to do their work?

I'm realizing my little guy (5) is just the slightest bit too short to do much writing at the kitchen table. He's young so we won't be doing hours of writing anyway but handwriting practice especially is going to be a challenge.

Oh, and he refuses to sit in a booster which is what I thought of first. My life should be so easy right?

I'm open to suggestions - I don't have tons of room for more furniture but we might be able to squeeze something in somewhere.

My desk has a pull out writing drawer that is about as high as the pull out keyboard drawer. My youngest used to sit there on a kitchen chair. The surfaces were a little closer together and that worked well. She then moved on to an exercise ball but now that she is older she is back in a chair to do homework.

I bought two wooden bar stools with 1/2 backs (think 1950's) from a used furniture store. My husband cut down the legs to make them an appropriate height for the dinning room table. We still use them! They have the added advantage of boosting the boys up so they are at the correct position to be able to cut their meat. .

My kindergartener has a little table from IKEA with a couple of little chairs (her stuffed hippo sits in the other one). My 9 year old has an elementary-sized school desk and chair. The middle school aged dc have a picnic table (the old redwood kind with benches).

Though HAVING and USING can be a bit deceptive. The kindergartener probably uses her table/chair the most. The middles are usually under the desk and table, and the oldest on top of the table. :confused: I don't understand, but also have more pressing battles to fight than to get them to sit where I'd prefer.

We do most of our school in our toy/bonus room. We have an adjustable height table that DD sits at (it's about 4' long). She sits on a little kids chair (from an IKEA table and chairs set). I usually sit across from her on the couch but I can also sit next to her on one of the little chairs or on a desk chair.

I like this table because it's big enough for DD, DS and I to work on together.

The best thing about it is that it FOLDS UP and can be put away!

It's Lifetime brand, I bought it at Sam's last summer.