Menu

S/O of living far away from families -- my uncle is dying

I'm so sorry, Kate. I know you just left recently after a summer visit home with your family. Did you discover your uncle's illness after you left? I know it must be terribly difficult, but at least you were able to be with your mom recently. Did you have a chance to see your uncle while you were back?

We have had a couple of experiences of "not getting around to" seeing certain distant relatives/close family friends during overseas visits, only to have that person pass away before the next trip, leading to terrible feelings of guilt and regret. We cannot see the future, and do the best we can in our circumstances, yet it is also a reminder to live everyday as if it were our (or their) last.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. :grouphug:

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Asmaa, I did see him a couple of months ago, and he gave my kids some very thoughtful gifts which is great because they have now a very vivid memory, plus will be reminded of him through the gifts.

He has cancer, and had it when I was there so I knew he was ill, but then he was still up and about; things took a fairly sudden and severe downturn last week, they are turning off the machines he's connected to and letting whatever happen, happen.

I am thankful for the technology we have, that at least I can see and talk with my family even if I can't be there. I haven't had a close relative pass away in quite a number of years, so this has been difficult (not that it's any easier if I had).

Edited by Kate in Arabia