Menu

How do you handle/grade careless mistakes (esp math)

Lorriekay

I don't plan on keeping Grades, for math class. My DS is only in second grade.

However I do plan on keeping a simple record of his Singapore math Tests.

I grade them 9/10 if he misses one problem out of 10. (or whatever points have been assigned per question by Singapore)

This is more of a "How do you feel or respond to careless mistakes?"

question more than an actual grading question.

For instance there is a math question that has multiple steps, and he writes down everything correctly, including the answer.

So the answer is 20, and he writes 20 on the line (where it is supposed to go)

Then he is supposed to circle A, B, C, or D. With D matching 20 but he circles A.

I mean, he did it all right and then circles the wrong corresponding letter.

:001_huh:

It's not often but I wonder how to handle the *careless* mistakes. Because it IS a test, I have to mark the whole thing wrong.

Because mom isn't always going to be there to make exceptions LOL.

So what do you do and how do you handle it?

I explained to him that there is a difference between not understanding how to do a problem and making a *careless* mistake where you are Rushing OR not paying careful enough attention to details

So should I be doing this.. OR should I say Nothing and Just Ignore it since he clearly knows the answer. :chillpill:

I don't want to pick at him to death and put pressure on him, but in math, each step is important including circling the correct *final* answer.

:chillpill:

He is 7

Loretta

Then he is supposed to circle A, B, C, or D. With D matching 20 but he circles A.

I mean, he did it all right and then circles the wrong corresponding letter.

:001_huh:

It's not often but I wonder how to handle the *careless* mistakes. Because it IS a test, I have to mark the whole thing wrong.

Because mom isn't always going to be there to make exceptions LOL.

I doubt that any teacher would mark it completely wrong. And many would still give complete credit. I know that circling the correct answer (or actually coloring in the correct dot) is a skill he'll need for standardized testing, but maybe you could deal with that as another issue.

My suggestion would be to hand it back to him as ask...'Can you tell me what's wrong with problem 3?', and see if he can identify it. After you do this several times, he might find it irritating enough that he'll be more careful in the future.

LOL :)

Exactly! It does seem *wrong* that he should get it wrong. Except like on a scantron sheet or a computer you must choose the correct answer in the end.

I like your suggestion! Just have him fix it and move on.

So I should just go ahead and give him credit as correct for it?

Because you know that is what I want to do.. LOL :lurk5:

In this case, his math was all correct. I'd ask him to tell you what is wrong and give him the credit. He's only in 2nd grade and bound to make mistakes like that.

Now, if the errors are occurring in the actual math work I would have him fix them. I keep telling my 9 y/o (almost 10) that when we get to algebra one small mistake can mean reworking an entire problem. (He does very well in math, but makes silly errors a lot) I want to train him now to be accurate so when we get to longer involved problems I haven't done him a disservice letting small issues slide early on.

I don't grade my kids' work so I don't have to worry whether or not to give credit... I just have them fix their mistake and move on.

I think in second grade I would give him credit. In third I would give half credit. My oldest is in second.

Where did you find Singapore Tests? I am using 1B, 2A, 2B this year. I have CWP, IP, WOrkbook, Textbook, HIG. Where are the test? Thank you.

It depends on what you're trying to keep track of. If you want to keep track of his math ability, count the problem you gave as an example as correct. If you want to keep track of his ability to circle the correct letter, then count it as incorrect.

Your goals in keeping grades now are likely going to be different than when he is in 8th grade. Now, you're most likely wanting to see trends in his math ability, but when he's in 8th grade, grades can be a way to give him feedback--careless mistakes and all.

I would do as others have suggested and ask him if he can spot the error. If he sees what he did, I would give him credit and talk about being careful.

As they get older, I mark the problem as wrong and give it back to them. If they correct the mistake, I award 1/2 credit. I still have to remind them to be careful as my dc still make careless mistakes sometimes.

For a 7 year old, I'd give credit. I'm pushing kiddo just a little because he is now 8. If it is a simple mistake, and he is in the "I want to be perfect mode", I let him correct it. If he is being sloppier than usual with a little lip, I add a question for everyone he did sloppily and missed. This gets his attention. I also gave him large square graph paper to work with if he is feeling "messy", and the numbers have to fit in the large boxes. I tell him once he is doing it neatly again, we can put the graph paper aside. This also gets his attention.

My husband would have marked it correct in his first grade class. The students are still learning to do multiple choice type tests. That is partly why the district does not have them complete scan-tron tests until late 2nd grade and even then the teacher has to physically check that every bubble on the scan-tron matches the answers written in the book. By 3rd grade they are using all scan-tron and are no longer allowed to write in the test booklets.