Menu

Mad Libs - ?

We were never a Mad Libs family when I was growing up but I've seen them mentioned here a few times. (I am familiar with what they are.)

For those of you that like them, are they enough grammar for a first grader or do you use them as a supplement? Are there different levels - if so, where would you start for a 1st grader? Finally, where do you buy them? Obviously they're online, but can I get them in a store around town?

We're doing FLL1 this year for K and I'm not sure where we're going to go next year...maybe FLL2, maybe not. I'd like to hear more about this route, though. Thanks!

Already planning for next year, lol.

Well we use them a little. I didn't do any grammar for 1st grade except some mad libs, and school house rock. This year we are using Primary Language Lessons, and I got a big thick book of mad libs at Walden books for like 5 dollars in their bargain section. You might check Borders, or Barnes and Noble.

Well we use them a little. I didn't do any grammar for 1st grade except some mad libs, and school house rock. This year we are using Primary Language Lessons, and I got a big thick book of mad libs at Walden books for like 5 dollars in their bargain section. You might check Borders, or Barnes and Noble.

We have a Barnes and Noble down the street...I'll have to run in and check if they have any, especially now that I have my handy-dandy little educator's card. I don't know if those would qualify?

Oh, and I forgot we have a Schoolhouse Rock DVD...I'll have to pull that out, too.

We used them with the beautifully illustrated Ruth Heller picture books on parts of speech. I think there are MadLibs Jr. as well as regular MadLibs.

Those sure look interesting - which ones did you use? There are a lot and I could see them adding up quickly...

We got some for our last road trip and had a ton of fun with them. Turns out I was the only one in the car that knew what an adverb was. The kids are still laughing because the Mad Libs were Fairy Tales and one of the lines we ended up with was "Stay tuned next week when we find out if Prince Charming is dating Hercules." I found it funny too because the Hercules clue said 'name someone famous' and the kids thought of Hercules. I thought only homeschooling/afterschooling kids would come up with Hercules.

We have a Barnes and Noble down the street...I'll have to run in and check if they have any, especially now that I have my handy-dandy little educator's card. I don't know if those would qualify?

I've used my educator card to buy them. I used them as a fun activity to have on hand. Not a specific supplement, per se.

IIRC, the Jr's don't really provide grammar review. However they can still be a fun way in sneak in some additional reading/writing.

We used them with the beautifully illustrated Ruth Heller picture books on parts of speech. I think there are MadLibs Jr. as well as regular MadLibs.

This is pretty much what I settled on for first grade, too. I looked at MCT and a ton of other stuff....I want to keep language and words fun at this point. We will be doing regular copywork, also, and I plan to point out other parts of sentence structure along the way.

Actually, I bought the Mad Libs and plan to give them for Christmas after we've thoroughly digested the Heller books. I bought/plan on buying the books on nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, and maybe the one on collective nouns. I searched the used curriculum sites until I found a good deal on them. I have also seen them in sets on ebay for decent prices.

This is pretty much what I settled on for first grade, too. I looked at MCT and a ton of other stuff....I want to keep language and words fun at this point. We will be doing regular copywork, also, and I plan to point out other parts of sentence structure along the way.

Actually, I bought the Mad Libs and plan to give them for Christmas after we've thoroughly digested the Heller books. I bought/plan on buying the books on nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, and maybe the one on collective nouns. I searched the used curriculum sites until I found a good deal on them. I have also seen them in sets on ebay for decent prices.

Oh cool! I wasn't sure if this idea was totally crazy...I didn't think of checking ebay, I guess I have a year to look for them!

• 3 weeks later...