Menu

What are these strange things?

I'm attaching two pictures. These creatures are on my wood blinds in my school room. In the past, we've seen them in the bathrooms. They eventually separate and we don't know where they go. Right now they are in a clump together like a colony. They're tiny little worm-like things. Please help me figure out what they are.

Thanks!

post-2565-13535083824786_thumb.jpg

post-2565-13535083825803_thumb.jpg

post-2565-13535083824786_thumb.jpg

post-2565-13535083825803_thumb.jpg

I have no idea. I'd probably scrape them into a terrarium and see what they grow into and then decide how freaked out to be.

But they are SO tiny, wouldn't they be able to get out of the holes? What do I put them in? I have jars galore, no terrariums though. I'm willing to try it.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I don't have cheesecloth. Would a cloth diaper work?

Do you have a ratty, thin old dishcloth? (or am I the only one who hangs on to those) It seems to me that a cloth diaper wouldn't let enough air circulate.

I think it is time to call your local county extension agent. Surely one of them would know what it is.

But in the meantime, I think a cloth diaper would work, or a dishcloth. Those are so tiny I think they would get thru cheesecloth. Have you put one under a microscope yet? Maybe if you did that you could find more features to help identify it thru google searches.

Came home from co-op and either some escaped the jar or some that I didn't collect or kill were trying to regroup with the rest of them. FREAKY! I tried a different lid and did it tighter. It's just not closing properly with the cloth diaper in the way. I may try the nylons later.