Menu

homeschooling high school in TN? Xpost

Does anyone here homeschool high school in TN?

My dh is looking at work there and I'm trying to be supportive without spazzing over the regulations. Looks like the lower grades aren't that big a deal, but things are tighter for high school.

Opinions, tips, and FYIs appreciated!

TIA!

Homeschooling high school in TN is easy if you are registered with an umbrella program. Most umbrella schools require a simple list of the subjects you plan to teach and the main curriculum you plan to use. They want to know you have SOME kind of plan. They will require you to turn in a grade for each subject at the end of the semester and the number of days you did lessons.

It is simple! Most umbrella schools are NOT intrusive, but helpful if needed.

PM me for more information.

agreeing with others about umbrella schools.

We moved from Indiana to TN about a year ago. I saw the "homeschool rules" and thought "eek!" but this is where the job is. Maybe we can live in MS? Then, I saw the "church related school" options and realized that was the route for us.

My oldest started high school years about a month ago.

Register with an umbrella school and it's easy. We went with a state wide umbrella school called Home Life Academy. I like their online help and website to see what is expected for graduation requirements. They let you select what you want. And even though it is a "church related school", you can be any faith or no faith to be part of it. They ask you to abide by a code of ethics, not a statement of faith. I like to think of it as an analogy of anyone can eat at Chik Fil A, even if you don't have Sunday as your worship day. I read their online stuff and realized it fit my way of doing homeschooling. So it ended up not feeling any different than when I lived in the other state.

so, yeah, I understand the feeling of being nervous about homeschooling high school in TN (especially after living in Indiana). But it's been an easy transition with help of umbrella school. And realizing that technically my child is enrolled in a church related school that offers off campus instruction, and I am unpaid faculty at that school. :lol:

but yeah, if you "homeschool" then you register locally with public. If you "enroll in church related school with off campus options", then you don't register with public.

-crystal

Can anyone give me a comparison of the various umbrella/satellite offerings? I don't want a statement of faith, I'm not interested in academic services, except possibly foreign language. We don't do much for sports, but they play several musical instruments, some golf, 4-H, ballroom dancing. I'm very happy making our own transcripts and diplomas as it's not all that hard. Would I need to bring a transcript of what we have done for 9th and 10th with me?

Dh does not want more than a 45 minute commute. From approximately Franklin area.

TIA

I don't know how to compare some of them. I know when I was moving to Memphis area, I saw one that was not in line with my beliefs (mandatory testing in elementary, statement of faith, and a few other things like grades every 9 weeks instead of semesters. It was little stuff.)

Another one had what I wanted except for no online options.

then I found out that around here, which umbrella school you pick can be a very sensitive topic of discussion. :001_huh:

The one I ended up with is state wide, Home Life Academy. And it does not offer classes for instruction. It does the paperwork for you. They print the transcript and diploma (non accredited). They do all of that kind of stuff. And since the students are enrolled in the online umbrella school, it meets legal requirements. I'm with you that I'm ok with making my own transcript, but I've also liked the style they do it and the online record keeping that is included. and one of the other things I keep hearing locally is that colleges view "homeschooled graduates" as different from "umbrella school graduates who homeschooled" whatever?!?!

Home Life is basically administrative umbrella school and is all done online. They do go to the Nashville convention and have a display so you can meet them in person. But everything is done online for the paperwork.

They don't require a statement of faith or church attendance. Just a code of ethics that says basically you're going to actually teach your children. They are Christian, but enrollment is not limited to Christians.

here is a link to their FAQ on that and other FAQ stuff

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/faq/faq-misc.aspx#q14

I've found them "hands off". I'm legal. And get to do what I want within limits. They do check in high school to make sure you aren't leaving huge gaps in transcript.

Here's their high school page to see what you'd need to sign up with them and how they might deal with the classes already taken. Their contact info is on there somewhere for more info on that part.

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/highschool.aspx

When I enrolled, it was all done at the touch of a button. I'll eventually do a high school eval for graduation requirements, but even then it will be online or phone calls.

I wish I could compare better with other options in your area, but I don't know all that much about them. HLA met my needs and that was good enough so I stopped shopping.

-crystal

We live in Franklin and also use Homelife Academy. We've had nothing but good experiences with them. Another local option here is Franklin Classical School. They have a tutorial program as well as an umbrella program. If you're looking for a tutorial, there are many choices. We do West Harpeth Christian Tutorial. This is a great area for homeschooling as there are tons of homeschoolers here and lots of opportunities. It's very homeschool-friendly.