Menu

Anyone who is not really involved in any groups, sports, etc?

I know my kids are young, but they don't care to be involved in any groups or sports. DD6 used to take ballet and play soccer when she was 4, but she wanted to drop them about a year ago and hasn't wanted to go back. They just don't really care to do anything. They'd rather be home, together, playing.

Are the activities really necessary? The music lessons, sports, scouts, swim team, clubs, etc. If my kids never want to do them, is it really a big deal? Honestly, I would dread the time commitments, the running around, and everything that goes with it. When DD played soccer, we enjoyed watching her Saturday morning games, but that was pretty easy compared the the time commitments that a lot of activities entail.

We attend church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights, but other than that, we're not involved in anything. I pulled DD out of speech therapy so we don't have to do that twice a week anymore. I mean, we may go back to our weekly homeschool group, but I'm not completely sure. My kids just really enjoy being home. And I enjoy not having all the commitments.

Are they necessary? For some, yes; for all, no.

My kids are in several activities each. We like the running around and group time, and the chance to develop lasting friendships (we've been fortunate to maintain a core group in each of our activities that have been "together" now for anywhere from two years up to six years.)

My best friend's kids are homebodies. The running around stresses them out. They enjoy time at home with one another more than they do outside gatherings. They don't miss out by not having outside commitments - not at all.

Feel comfortable with your decision; it seems to be the right one for your family. If the kids were wanting to do something, but you were opposed -- that'd be different. It seems everyone is happier at home with fewer commitments, so for you - extracurriculars seem very unnecessary :)

We don't do much, mostly because my kids are so young. I also am a hermit so getting out to the grocery store weekly is huge for me. If we have more than 2 things outside of the grocery store and church during the week, I feel stressed and busy. Thankfully, we have a couple of other homeschool families that we are friends with who are the same way so we get together bi-weekly. We'll occasionally do field trips with our homeschool group but I'm curtailing that this year since my kids are too young to pay attention to what's happening on the trip.

Oh my gosh..thanks for this post. I was going over and over this in my head today and was just chatting with a friend about it.

My DD8 has done some soccer and one year of dance. She is not too excited about either activity. She doesnt really want to do anything, yet she wants to be social. I was thinking of having her pick one activity and sticking with it.

I hate to have her want to do something later in life and then not be able to or be behind because she jumped in too late.

I hate running around and am a homebody, but I wouldnt mind having one thing to focus on especially since we are HS'ing now.

Honestly? Unless your kids show a true interest, I would not do anything (except maybe swimming lessons if you live on or near water) until around age 10. At that point, I would only commit to that interest.

Soome children do like to experience various activities, and I am OK with that, esp in the summer months.

Once kids do hit the teen years, you're hoping they have a passion or interests, so until they can drive or walk or bike alone to these interests, someone has to be available. Since (most?) older children will have passions, it's better not to have burned yourself or them out when they were small. Of course, many families enjoy activities. I would go with your family needs.

Edited by LibraryLover

At 3 and 5yo, nope, I don't think it is necessary at all.

For my 10yo and 8yo, well, I'm leaning more towards they need to do *something* occasionally just so they don't kill each other. But even then we keep things pretty simple. My kids are involved in Awana, church camps, go individually with their Dad on missions trips to Mexico, homeschool park day, field trips,occasional play dates with friends, art seminar at the museum, etc.

My kids are not really interested in team sports and we are not into forcing that. We run, hike, bike, etc. We just don't really get all excited about spending our Saturday watching 500 kids play soccer.

Without an opportunity to socialize, my youngest daughter was absolutely miserable. I mean crying herself to sleep miserable. She finally met friends through homeschool classes she takes. This is her 2nd year in these classes.

Before that, when they were very little, we tried homeschool groups that had park playdates. Only one friendship came out of that experience and it was a friend for my son. They eventually got too busy to be friends with us anymore.

My point is that my dd12 needs opportunities to be with others. My ds14 does not. I don't believe in forcing my kids into situations they have no interest in.