Menu

Spelling....Help me?

Lovedtodeath

DD5 is reading somewhere between 2-3 grade level. We started homeschooling at 3 and just pulled her out of K in PS. I have Ordinary

Parent's Guide to teaching reading and I want to make sure we go

through it because I am afraid that she is not sounding out some more

difficult words, but just knows them by sight. Going through the book

in the typical way would be torture so I have been making lists of

words and sentences which she then reads and copies, and I tell her

the "rule" they follow. I have no idea how long to stay on the same

rule, how many words to use, etc. because I have not seen a spelling

curriculum. I don't want to buy a spelling curriculum because I think

this will work, and I want to make sure we finish the book. I just

need some guidance from someone more experienced in this area. How do

I make this work and what do I do after we finish OPGTR? I personally

know too many homeschooled people with bad spelling skills. Thank you!

many recommend All About Spelling b/c it does teach spelling using the "rules" and in such a logical way. It would compliment phonics learning. We've just ordered it for my dc who struggle w/ spelling. As for OPG...just go through the book and have her read the word lists and sentences. Sounds like a good idea to use them as copywork or a spelling list. That would be great reinforcement. I might have to steal the idea for my ds6 who can't stand the OPG! He reads on a similar level, but has never really taken to formal phonics instruction. We just read books on or above his level and point out the "rules" as we go along.

As for after OPG for spelling, you have several options. You could just use words from her reading as your list. If you wanted a rules-based program there are lots to choose from and I'm sure you'll get lots more responses. Here are a few: SWO, AAS, Simply Spelling, Spelling Power, Megawords, etc. I'm just throwing them out there...we've only used SWO and will soon start AAS and Simply Spelling (b/c I like the idea of using studies dictation to reinforce spelling). HTH a bit. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

With our spelling program, AAS, I tell dd the rule at the beginning of the week. "There are three letters that are commonly doubled at the end of a one-syllable short vowel word. They are f, l, and s." Then periodically during the week I'll ask her a question about the rule. "What three letters are commonly..." This reinforces the rule. A couple of times a month I'll take 5 minutes and ask all the rules to date. At the end of the year I gave her a written rule test.

With AAS the rules are all printed on index cards for easy access. Hope that info helps some.

okay Jessicas blog has me rethinking this whole idea.... I am seriously considering slowing down and going with Simply Spelling. I will still have her do copywork at least once because she hates the traditional reading of OPG but I won't try to get her to retai nspelling yet. So much of homeschool is trust it seems KWIM?

I understand you wanting her to know the phonetic constructs, and be able to encounter new words, using her phonetic knowledge.

But one thing you said struck me, and I just wanted to comment--It's perfectly ok for her to sight read familiar words, and to have a large sight word vocabulary. You actually want her to read by sight--it's how we become fluent. As fluent readers, it's only when we encounter new words that we "sound them out." It's even ok to spell by sight--familiar words, that is. It's part of automatic processing--we reach mastery and no longer have to remember the rule of phonics that got us there. But we do need to remember the rules when encountering new words.

Does that make sense?

YES, Chris, and it took me a while to understand this, but I do. I rushed her through a lot of phonics rules when she was 3 and 4 so a lot of it is just clicking, she liked learning them and hated practicing. I just worry that she can't sound out words and is relying only on sight... in other words we need to finish OPG since we only got to ing, which is less than halfway through. :o)

Or that you wouldn't do any copywork from it?

She is 6 in July and has been reading since she was 3. The more she reads the more she resists sounding out anything... even words she clearly does not know. You are supposed to finish OPG in 1st grade aren't you?

We did MFW K when she was 4 and it had spelling!! I am really getting confused. Is there somewhere I can read up on CM ideas for LA?:bigear:

Or that you wouldn't do any copywork from it?

If you want to, go ahead. I would use a book she likes or something you're reading to her for copywork.

She is 6 in July and has been reading since she was 3. The more she reads the more she resists sounding out anything... even words she clearly does not know. You are supposed to finish OPG in 1st grade aren't you?

She's still learning phonics, finish OPG. You can add Explode the Code to her LA and it will complement OPTG. Spelling isn't important right now, learning to read and becoming fluent is- at least in my opinion (and CM).

We did MFW K when she was 4 and it had spelling!! I am really getting confused. Is there somewhere I can read up on CM ideas for LA?:bigear:

I don't know anything about MFW K or what it teaches in regards to spelling, here's the Ambleside Online link to LA.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/LanguageArts.shtml

Finish phonics and allow her time to build up to reading chapter books fluently before you consider spelling. Then (in 3rd) start spelling because she'll understand phonics and how to read, sound out words and spell what she wants to write. Copywork provides familiarity with words.

I'm not an expert at all but this is what I have learned by mistake.

Have you tried testing her reading level? My oldest ds never "finished" phonics, and sight reads most words now... because he reads fluently. If she is reading at a much higher reading level, I'm not sure I'd go back to the beginning. Also, a test would give you some ideas of her word attack skills... even though we never did make it through PP, my ds does "sound out" unfamiliar words.

I read up on CM on ambleside online. The way I understand it, we need to work on reading (phonics, sight words,including the little bit of phonetic spelling in ETC to solidify the reading lesson), handwriting (forming the letters correctly) and oral narration.

I do not add in anything else until later, the first to add would be copywork, when would I add this? And nothing else no written narration, spelling lists, grammar instruction, dictation.......until third grade is this right? Then creative writing actually come later.... 5th maybe?

TIA:)

Carmen

I read up on CM on ambleside online. The way I understand it, we need to work on reading (phonics, sight words,including the little bit of phonetic spelling in ETC to solidify the reading lesson), handwriting (forming the letters correctly) and oral narration.

Yes.

I do not add in anything else until later, the first to add would be copywork, when would I add this? And nothing else no written narration, spelling lists, grammar instruction, dictation.......until third grade is this right? Then creative writing actually come later.... 5th maybe?

TIA:)

This is what some disagree with and you do not have to do everything to a "T" either. Copywork can start as soons as letter formation is solid, using on level or below level books- something your child understands and preferably enjoys. Dr. Seuss would be fine for copywork to start with, of course a sentence from Charlotte's Web is better.

Written narration- only after a child is solid in handwriting skills and can orally narrate confidently. You don't want to add another skill to learn on top of learning to listen, summarize and effectively retell a selection.

Grammar instruction- formal is not needed, but teaching parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective, etc) can be taught through informal conversations or a gentle curriculum. Also teach punctuation, capitalization and the basics of writing a sentence.

Dictation can wait. Everything can wait until fluent reading is established letter formation is solid and your child can narrate back to you what you've read. There is no rush, build these skills, read aloud to her and the rest will fall into place easily. If it's rushed you may end up backpedaling. (Like I've done)

A narration is the retelling of a story in the child's own words. It starts out orally and then changes to written later. Dictation is when mommy will say the passage from the book and the child writes it down. The child is to study a paragraph or page ahead of time, paying attention to detail, quite a bit of learning is taking place at this time...so that when it is written down, the spelling and grammar are correct. HTH

and making mistakes is how I learned. A CM type of education is always what my heart wanted but WTM appealed to my brain and sense of providing my children a solid, rigorous education. When I looked at my dd7 struggling reading but still completing a spelling lesson, grammar lesson- it didn't seem right.

So I read, thought, read some more and things clicked. Our homeschool went through a major transformation this year: goals changed, teaching style and focus changed and some curriculum changed and thankfully, it all resulted in change. Lol. Gone are the days of arguing about getting work done, at least we haven't had one for over 2 months. We both like what we're doing and I don't have these lingering fears rotating around my brain anymore.

Read about what you're unsure about, pray, think about what you're reading and how it applies to your situation and see if you can change something small to make a big impact. I feel blessed to have found this in only our 2nd year even though changing things has been a little stressful at times but like I said, the results have been instanteous. At least for us.

Hope this helps

OH, and with dictation the child studies a page or paragraph but is only dictated one or two sentences to write down, depending on age.

I read a Charlotte Mason book that was big on the twaddle free reading and playing outside but very low on the specifics, so I erroneously thought WTM was very similar. DH believes strongly in not sitting at a table doing work for 2 hours. I am learning more about Charlotte Mason. I am very lucky to have Jessica to look to now, before we start 1st grade. I chose her blog to read because I remembered she had a first grader last year, and it was a coincidence that she has chosen a different path this year. Worked out for me!

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss

More Charlotte Mason by Catherine Levinson

The 3R's (not CM but also gentle) by Ruth Beechick

also Language and Thinking for Young Children by Ruth Beechick

It was also reading about other hslers opinions and experiences on this board that are more CM than WTM and although I struggled with their ideas at first I finally came to a point I realized something needed to change.

I think the biggest hurdle with CM that I had to get over is that it is not a curriculum. Following Ambleside or any other put together curriculum does not make a homeschool CM. When I realized I didn't have to follow Ambleside and could do whatever we liked but apply CM principles, that was when I realized I had found something for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but I decided to get Spelling through copywork and will start it toward the end of first grade. Wanted to update everyone.

http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html'>http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html'>http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html'>http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

I plan to get Language Lessons for Little Ones to start at the beginning of first grade.

http://queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

So finally I have 1st all planned. Yay!