Menu

My kids are bored with grammar, language arts

micheller1

We started Growing with Grammar, I'm trying to piece together a literature/reading program, we were doing Soaring with Spelling, which is supposed to go with Growing with Grammar but my kids hated it. So I found some used Spelling Workouts and bought those, especially since my daughter (8 yo) needs a lot of remedial phonics work. The kids drudge through Growing with Grammar but all three of them said it was boring. :( The last thing I want is three bored children.

So I was looking at the wonderful book that is the Rainbow Resource Catalog. Man where was this catalog a few months back when I was sorting through and buying curriculum!!! While reviewing all the language arts programs in the catalog, I liked Climbing to Good English. It's both affordable and contains reading, and a comprehensive language arts program. http://www.climbingtogoodenglish.com/cge1.htm

Has anyone used it? Any opinions? My husband is being uber supportive about dropping curriculums and getting new ones, as long as I'm sure about it. It's just being in my first year - I never feel sure about ANYTHING:crying:

Well - I can't blame them about grammar.... honestly - have never found a curriculum that can make it interresting! But grammar is like going to the dentist. You may not like it - but you have to do it anyway.

As for language arts - maybe just let them read some really good books for a while, work on book reports, editing them, etc.

Not sure if this helps - but we havent explored any grammar curriculums yet or taught any of that cuz we are just starting K - but I can recommend a GREAT and FUN supplement.

Over the summer I subscribed to Cosmeo.com - they have a free trial, and then it is $10 a month. It is put together by Discovery Channel and by Animal Planet - sooooo much great educational stuff there. I can let DS search there and not worry - there's artciles, great videos, and awesome educational games.

Back to my point - DS found this awesome grammar series at Cosmeo himself, and HE added it to his favorite lists! I have watched and played it with him and it is really good. He has already mastered alot of the basic grammar stuff like verbs, adverbs, adjectives, etc. Just by playing :D

It is a cute cartoon called Pendemonium. A pen, pencil, etc that work at a newspaper and have to "save the day" by fixing grammar errors created by the dastardly Dark Marker LOL You watch one of the videos, which teaches/reinforces the topic of choice - and then there is a game that goes along with it. DS LOVES them.

Sign up for the free month trial and take a look - Pendemonium is just one of the awesome vids/games that is on there. It might just spark some interest for your kids too :D

ETA - we also recently bought a bunch of MadLibs for DS after he fell in love with the Scrambled Stories game on Cosmeo - another great way to sneak some grammar in there ;)

Edited by naturegirl7