Menu

Sports/Gymnastics Mamas - Dd8 is allergic to the pre-wrap we use

Did you spray before using the pre-wrap? When I was doing athletic training, we used a sticky spray to hold it in place. I'm allergic to the adhesive on tape and also to that spray. (I always fought blisters on my fingers from taping everyone).

I know that we had a couple of different kinds of prewrap, but I don't remember too clearly. It was a long time ago.

What are you wrapping? Is she also using the adhesive spray when using pre-wrap? Does she apply lotion or anything before taping?

I am a former athletic-trainer and I have never had an athlete react to pre-wrap, so that's a new one on me. I think my first option would be to try a different type of support such as a brace. Another option would be a type of tape that only sticks to itself called "conform" that you might try. It is very elastic so it wouldn't provide much support, but it could possibly be used in place of prewrap? You wouldn't want to apply very many layers and it really depends on the body part being taped as it can get bulky.

Hmmm, no advice on allergies, but my gymnast suggested that it could be a reaction to the either sweat under both the tape and pre-wrap or dry skin causing the rash since the gym is very dry and the chalk tends to pull all the natural oils out of the skin.

If she is only wrapping the sprain, I'd suggest maybe something like an ace bandage or ace bandage type brace from the pharmacy. If she is wrapping her hands for the bar routines, you could get her grips instead. That would get you away from the pre-wrap and athletic tape entirely.

If she has rips on her hands, well, I don't know of anything other than tape that will hold the band-aids on while those heal. Ds only bandages rips while at the gym though. He says letting them air heal leaves his hands tougher and less prone to tear again. Naturally, he insists his sister do the same. :tongue_smilie: That would get you away from the pre-wrap and athletic tape entirely.

Hope the rash clears up soon.

Did you spray before using the pre-wrap?

No spray.

What are you wrapping? Is she also using the adhesive spray when using pre-wrap? Does she apply lotion or anything before taping?

I am a former athletic-trainer and I have never had an athlete react to pre-wrap, so that's a new one on me. I think my first option would be to try a different type of support such as a brace. Another option would be a type of tape that only sticks to itself called "conform" that you might try. It is very elastic so it wouldn't provide much support, but it could possibly be used in place of prewrap? You wouldn't want to apply very many layers and it really depends on the body part being taped as it can get bulky.

no lotion.

Hmmm, no advice on allergies, but my gymnast suggested that it could be a reaction to the either sweat under both the tape and pre-wrap or dry skin causing the rash since the gym is very dry and the chalk tends to pull all the natural oils out of the skin.

If she is only wrapping the sprain, I'd suggest maybe something like an ace bandage or ace bandage type brace from the pharmacy. If she is wrapping her hands for the bar routines, you could get her grips instead. That would get you away from the pre-wrap and athletic tape entirely.

If she has rips on her hands, well, I don't know of anything other than tape that will hold the band-aids on while those heal. Ds only bandages rips while at the gym though. He says letting them air heal leaves his hands tougher and less prone to tear again. Naturally, he insists his sister do the same. :tongue_smilie: That would get you away from the pre-wrap and athletic tape entirely.

Hope the rash clears up soon.

Yes, it is a sprained ankle that is being wrapped. No rips on her hands - right now anyway.

I'll look into that conform tape and also the ace bandages. She has an ankle brace but it doesn't feel good to her right now.

Yes, it is a sprained ankle that is being wrapped. No rips on her hands - right now anyway.

I'll look into that conform tape and also the ace bandages. She has an ankle brace but it doesn't feel good to her right now.

Okay, I'm going to dip in here, but I have ZERO knowledge on gymnastics.....

... I do, however, have severe latex and adhesive allergies.

_If_ I understand you correctly, you are wrapping a sprain?

When I last sprained my ankle (I am klutz! Hear me whine.) I was able to find a latex-free Ace bandage. They are hard to find locally, unless you locally is in a bigger city than mine was. I had to order mine online.

HTH,

Kris

Okay, I'm going to dip in here, but I have ZERO knowledge on gymnastics.....

... I do, however, have severe latex and adhesive allergies.

_If_ I understand you correctly, you are wrapping a sprain?

When I last sprained my ankle (I am klutz! Hear me whine.) I was able to find a latex-free Ace bandage. They are hard to find locally, unless you locally is in a bigger city than mine was. I had to order mine online.

HTH,

Kris

Kris beat me to it! Probably a latex allergy. If so, you are going to need to do some reading. Not a fun allergy to have!

Oh no, latex allergy? That is scary to me. I will have this checked out further.

No solution - but I have the same problem. I am allergic to EVERYTHING. I would experiment with ace bandage type products. I found one kind that I loved and didn't irritate me. But yikes, your poor kid to have the hurting ankle and the skin burning!