Menu

What do you do when you are frustrated?

I am really, really frustrated about a situation. Without going into a lot of details, it is something that definitely affects my daily life but there isn't anything *I* can do to change it (well, acceptable things, anyway!:tongue_smilie:)

What do you do when situations frustrate you? Especially things that cause hardships in your life? How do you live with the things that you cannot change?

I really don't want to go down this road again. I had seemingly come to terms with this "burden" in my life, but I am struggling with it again. I notice that the more I focus on this frustration, the easier I get frustrated with other things.

Hide in my room and read a lot. especially if it is related to dh work or something else external to the house. If it is something within the house that I cannot change, I tend to leave the house a lot. We lived in an apt. when I was pg with ds14 and the upstairs neighbor blasted their bass at all hours. I spent a lot of time at MIL's and we moved the month before ds was born. The same thing happened when I was pg with dd, except it was my Mom we spent time with.

I carve out something special for MYSELF. I take a time of day to read a book I enjoy, and another one of my outlets is being creative. I'll throw myself into a painting or collage. Something to get my own self back into my own head. And then I guard that time like a badger.

I try to do something physical to "burn out" the emotion, so hopefully I can think clearly again. It's very difficult, however, when the situation is recurrent.

Also, set the timer for 5-10 min. Sit and run all the scenerios in your head, validate how unfair it all is, blast the person/situation with invectives. Then put it aside and refuse to dwell when the thoughts pop back up. Repeat daily.

Hug.

I take frustration out on my kitchen floor. My family knows that when Mama is scrubbing or cleaning out closets watch out!

I think doing something that has concert results that I am in control of gives me back a sense of peace and balance. I'm frustrated, therefore I clean. My house has never been so clean and organized as since my DH has been unemployed.:tongue_smilie:

Well, first I usually raise my voice. You get the picture.

Then, I try to settle down and pray about it.

Honestly, I try to think it through from all angles and see if there really isn't some way I could "fix" it myself.

It sometimes takes quite a bit of time and prayer to find peace, but when I finally am willing to admit I can't do anything about it, I try to just work it into the tapestry, kwim?

Thanks! I got a good night's sleep and I feel better this morning.

The difference really lies in whether I see it as a horrible burden where life just isn't fair or just another cross to bear, KWIM? I finally came to terms with the fact that there was nothing *I* could do that wouldn't just be exchanging one set of problems for another. I just need to remember this on a regular basis.